Being " on call for work"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being " on call for work"

If your on call for work on a weekend, if u dont get called out does your employer still pay u for being on call. My work only want to pay us on the weekend if we are called to the yard for a load. Of we are not called then we dont get paid anything but they want us to be available just in case. It doesn't sit well with me to put my day on hold and wait for a call.

What are the rules around you being on call? I used to work on call 5 days a week, my agreement paid me 100% of my normal pay regardless if I worked one or all 5 of the days. On the days I was on call I had to be within 45 minutes from the office, no alcohol, and had to answer the phone or return the call within 15 minutes.

Comment

We get 2 hours guaranteed for weekdays and 3/day weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

M-f are normal days, one weekend i work Saturday, next weekend i work Sunday. If they is not work for either of those days u are on call for that day. If nothing comes up, u dont get paid for waiting around the house. If u get called, u get min 4 hrs. If u work more then 4, then u get that. Just dont like the fact u have to wait for the day there is no work to see if u might have to go in, and if u dont they dont pay u

Comment

Our guys get an hour/day plus whatever hrs are spent if they get called out

Comment

Been on call my whole career. Wasnt paid until i got a call to go to work. Worked my normal hours and had to be available after hours. 7 day dutys every 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I work for a staffing agency, we pay our employees a set amount for being "on call" even if they don't get called into work.

Comment

It would be nice to get paid the 4 hrs even if we dont get called in

Comment

If I have to stay sober I'm gonna want some sort of compensation for it. lol

Comment

I've been on call my entire career. If something goes wrong in the oil business over the weekend I suck it and get it done. It comes with the territory as we work 24/7/365 so I can't sympathize. That being said, I will drink on the weekend. I just don't get hammered.

Comment

Don’t get paid to be on call, but if I do get called it’s 4 hours just for showing up plus any hours we work. Sometimes it’s to inspect something that only takes 1 hour to do so it’s 4+1=5 which I think is fine

Comment

When working for the city, we got paid 4 hours for being on call, 1 1/2 times if called out, be within 30 minutes of work, no drinking, and return calls within 15 minutes.

Loved it when City Manager got ****** because a officer would not come and get a non-venomous snake out of the green belt. He ordered all calls to be ran from then on. I averaged 70 hours per week after that and covered everyone’s on-call time.

Comment

I go oncall 1 7 day week each month. I still work my 40 hours and cover the oncall after hours and weekends. I get paid a flat $180 oncall pay plus OT if I get called out.

I was under the impression that if your company requires you to be oncall then they have to compensate you.
                          A while back the City Of Denton was doing something similar to your situation and several of the employees sued and won. I believe they got back pay plus interest.

Comment

been on call most of my career , and salary employee ... so no compensations .. one of my job would let you out 4 hours early on friday if you were on call ... that's about as good as it gets . some employers don't pay squat to get on call but give you 4 hours minimum pay if you get called if you're hourly.. that makes up for it sometimes .

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              If I have to stay sober I'm gonna want some sort of compensation for it. lol
                              EXACTLY what i was thinking!

Comment

Working...
                              X