Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV plumbing damage from freeze. Next steps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV plumbing damage from freeze. Next steps ?

While I had the low point drains open- there was obviously water in the hot water heater and some of the lines. Fair amount of water around the hw. heater.

Anyone ahead of me in the repair process? What have y’all be spending on repairs? I know issues and shops vary- just trying to get an idea of what’s coming.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put water in holding tanks and turn the pump on. Look for leaks. Hoses should be simple. Hot water heater and commode are a different story.

Comment

I took mine to the dealer after the freeze because I noticed some water dripping from the bottom of the rv near the main sewer drain. Like you, I had opened the low point drains but neglected to pull the plug on the hot water heater. The dealer I go to had a special going on to check for pipe damage due to the freeze because so many people were coming in with problems. They run air through the water pipes and see if it holds pressure, if not there is something wrong. The service guy said if I had damage to the hot water heater he would call me and advise to open an insurance claim because it would be very expensive. Luckily, I only had one cracked pipe (the one causing the water to come from the bottom of the rv) and all other lines were good. The cost to fix it is roughly $200. I really dodged a bullet on this and will be winterizing the rig better in the future.

Comment

I'm dealing with this now. I released the pressure valve, drained all low water lines, and put RV antifreeze in all my drains. I didn't realize the water heater still holds water, I thought the pressure release valve and the low water drains handled that. Now I have a leak from my water heater. I pulled all the panels and it looks like it's leaking from the element. I have a new element and will install today after work. Praying that will fix it! If not I guess I'll be ordering a new water heater. We are heading to Broken Bow OK for spring break so I'm in a hurry to get this done. Very frustrating!

Comment

I know the weather even you all had down in Texas is not a normal occurrence but it still freezes down there during the winter at different times from what I remember.
          Pumping antifreeze through your lines and draining your hot water heater is something I would do if I still lived down there. You can still use your camper while winterized, you just can't use your water system. You can even use your head, and just carry water to flush into your black tank.
          I hate that you guys have to deal with those broken pipes etc., that is no fun at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
            I'm dealing with this now. I released the pressure valve, drained all low water lines, and put RV antifreeze in all my drains. I didn't realize the water heater still holds water, I thought the pressure release valve and the low water drains handled that. Now I have a leak from my water heater. I pulled all the panels and it looks like it's leaking from the element. I have a new element and will install today after work. Praying that will fix it! If not I guess I'll be ordering a new water heater. We are heading to Broken Bow OK for spring break so I'm in a hurry to get this done. Very frustrating!
            This does work you just have to open all of your lines at each faucet/fixture. Pain in the butt I know.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
              This does work you just have to open all of your lines at each faucet/fixture. Pain in the butt I know.
              I did have all the faucets open. It's possible it's just coincidental and the leak isn't related to the freeze. Hard to say.

Comment

I had to open my pressure relief valve on my water heat while running all of the faucets wide open and then cut my water off and opened my low point drains. I then used my pump to pull all of the water out of the fixtures. No leaks that i'm aware of and i live in mine.

Comment

Lmk if I can help chump
                  I'm in Austin

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin View Post
                    I bought one of these and drained water heater and open LP drain and all fittings. Blew out the lines.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36133-B...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
                    This! RV antifreeze in the tank..run your pump and open each valve till the antifreeze is in the system. Once you run it, your ptraps are taken care of. Then use the air fitting and clear out the system. Drain water heater and open low point drains. Cheap to do and might take an hour. Might even be overkill but it's easier than fixin' stuff. I like to run it thru my pump a few times a year anyway since it doesn't get used much.

Comment

I guess I got lucky. I didn’t do ANYTHING the last time I was at the lease. Water stayed hooked up but shut off at the spigot. Did not drain anything (obviously much less blow anything out), no rv antifreeze.....NOTHING

Went to Comfort this past weekend for a work weekend and fully expected to has stuff broken and leaking but I did not. Only thing that broke was the kitchen sink faucet....it simply broke off and fell into the sink. That’s it, nothing else. I got way way lucky

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post

No it doesn’t. I opened the vent , pulled LP drains and opened every faucet. When it stopped draining I pulled plug from water heater and it was still full

Comment

I blew all my water lines down before the storm. Still have some broken lines. Have not spent the time to track them down.

Comment

I left my water heater on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X