2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    I’m not ready to say I will be totally catch and release, but I will be a lot more cognizant of what I do keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
      Just dont think people need that much fish...sounds like a liberal talking about how people don't need that many guns that much ammo or dont need ARs. Let people decide how much fish they need as long as they are within the legal limits. I know my family and friends love the fish we bring home from the coast and the lakes every year and we eat a ton of it. We don't buy fish from the store and look forward to eating what we catch every year.

We dont even know the extent of the damage yet and here we are talking about what should and shouldn't be done. How about we see how bad it is before we go off the deep end.
      Read what I said...I’m not going off the deep end. Calm down.

Comment

I will be keeping some trout. My favorite fish. The last several years, I just keep enough for a meal or 2 and release the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          I’m not ready to say I will be totally catch and release, but I will be a lot more cognizant of what I do keep.

As a new angler and someone who is getting a boat I feel the same way.

Comment

fish

Originally posted by Leef View Post
            Capt Glenn, pretty sure you and I fish the same waters. Not sure what we are going to see long term, but having been around the Texas coast for many years I know the great majority of folks will do what needs to be done to help the rebound. I have been a proponent for limit reductions for some time, personally I just don’t think folks need that much fish. I wish everyone could just self regulate without TPWD getting involved....wishful thinking.
            I'm glad you get to fish down there a lot more than I do!! But I don't think my 5 - 18 to 20" trout, a couple times a month on average is too much fish. I realize everyone are not the same...but why punish people like me with tighter restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
              I'm glad you get to fish down there a lot more than I do!! But I don't think my 5 - 18 to 20" trout, a couple times a month on average is too much fish. I realize everyone are not the same...but why punish people like me with tighter restrictions.

I’ve always felt that harvest seasons should be Introduced. Florida has it for snook. I think we should have it for our fish as well.

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                I’ve always felt that harvest seasons should be Introduced. Florida has it for snook. I think we should have it for our fish as well.

You must not ever fish red snapper or keep up with the arguments on too short of seasons and box limits. Regulate yourself, but dont ask the state or feds to regulate you. Thats a slippery slope.... I dont get to the coast often enough, or have enough success when I do, to really even be apart of this conversation. But im a bit surprised to see anybody say they think harvest seasons should be introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  Tired of seeing all of the guides virtue signaling that they will only allow C&R on their boats this year. I've seen this song and dance before. They soon realize that there aren't enough people willing to do that to keep them afloat, and they quietly go back to allowing their clients to keep fish. The truth is that, when there are fewer fish in the bays, fewer fish will be caught. There will be cries to reduce limits, and those who push that are people who are bad at math. People will catch fewer fish, retained or otherwise, and the stocks will recover.
                  They want to convince everyone else to CPR lol.

Comment

Just got back from Flour Bluff. Thousands of dead mullet in the canals. Didnt see any game fish floating.

Comment

Why? What is your justification for wanting a fishing season?

IMO that is the LAST thing we need to do. I do not think there is a snowball's chance that we will see fishing seasons in Texas. And thank goodness for it.

The fishery will come back just fine with the limits we have in place right now. Watch and see. If anything folks just need to be more aware and need to start letting more fish go and just keeping what they can eat fresh. I think we will see that trend expand some which is a positive.

Comment

Heck no. I don’t agree with that. I don’t get to go as often as I use to and don’t need to worry about a species being in season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                          As a new angler and someone who is getting a boat I feel the same way.
                          Take what you can use and release the rest. There is no shame and no harm in keeping enough fish for dinner. I promise you I'm not going to shame anyone for wanting to eat some fish.

The fishery is going to recover just fine. Trout fishing may be slow for a year or two but y'all are going to be amazed at how fast it bounces back and how resilient our fishery is. This is a normal, natural event. The only thing abnormal about it is that we have not had a major freeze for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                            You must not ever fish red snapper or keep up with the arguments on too short of seasons and box limits. Regulate yourself, but dont ask the state or feds to regulate you. Thats a slippery slope.... I dont get to the coast often enough, or have enough success when I do, to really even be apart of this conversation. But im a bit surprised to see anybody say they think harvest seasons should be introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve caught more red snapper than I can count and probably most others. I’ve been regulating myself for a long time now. Keep what I can eat fresh and let others go. I say we should have harvest seasons because of all the people who go out and keep fish everyday especially with how many new boaters there are today. I’m not as old as most others on here but since I was a kid I’ve seen the fishing get worse over time. Others will say it’s the best it’s ever been but that’s not what I see in my area. Red snapper is a prime example of why harvests seasons work. They were practically gone and now they are plentiful. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                              Why? What is your justification for wanting a fishing season?

IMO that is the LAST thing we need to do. I do not think there is a snowball's chance that we will see fishing seasons in Texas. And thank goodness for it.

The fishery will come back just fine with the limits we have in place right now. Watch and see. If anything folks just need to be more aware and need to start letting more fish go and just keeping what they can eat fresh. I think we will see that trend expand some which is a positive.

Not a fishing season, a harvest season. There’s a difference between the two. With the amount of new boaters and fishing pressure I think it could benefit us. Also it just snowed across the entire state of Texas and froze ponds over. That snowball chance seem far fetched still? Just my opinion though. Don’t take it too seriously

Comment

I am glad you are in a very small minority with that opinion.

There is no biological reason to have a season for trout. They are already protected for a full year of spawning prior to being eligible to be kept. They start spawning at 12" and are protected from all harvest until they reach 15". And the small fish do the majority of the spawning.

The snapper debacle is a totally different issue. Snapper numbers didn't drop years ago due to rod and reel sport fishing.

The biggest reason to not have a season is fishing seasons limit fishing opportunity for everyone which is the opposite of what TPWD wants. It would have a huge negative economic impact on the coastal communities who rely on sport fishing for their main income.

Comment

Working...
                                X