How old are these rubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old are these rubs?

I don’t have experience with rubs on pine trees. Found these yesterday in one area and I’m curious if these are fresh or from early season. I set a camera up in this area to see what lives here. Will go back in a month to check the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old are these rubs?

I don't see much for shavings around the base of the rubs. I was taught to take a knife and shave off a piece in the rub and compare color to what you just cut and the rest of rub see if color matches. Notice any fresh sap or anything on the trees?

Comment

From the pics I would guess this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
        I don't see much for shavings around the base of the rubs. I was taught to take a knife and shave off a piece in the rub and compare color to what you just cut and the rest of rub see if color matches. Notice any fresh sap or anything on the trees?

I will remember that tip next time out! Not sure about any fresh sap. If anything there is a dense pine thicket right by this so maybe this is their bedding area. Will be more prepared next year since I just got permission late season to sit here.

Comment

Both may be multiple use. Regardless both have been rubbed very fresh. The small branches on the ground are still super green. They would be browning in three days.

Comment

This year

Comment

Yes they are from this season 100%

Comment

there is still smoke coming off of them!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Both may be multiple use. Regardless both have been rubbed very fresh. The small branches on the ground are still super green. They would be browning in three days.

I didn't even see the fresh fallen branches[emoji23][emoji23] oops definitely a good indicator lol

Comment

Rubs

Originally posted by Court2005 View Post
                    I don’t have experience with rubs on pine trees. Found these yesterday in one area and I’m curious if these are fresh or from early season. I set a camera up in this area to see what lives here. Will go back in a month to check the card.

I would say they were made this year when they were shedding there velvet a few months back.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

That makes a lot of sense! This pine thicket is on the north side of this small stream that I setup on yesterday. Hopefully I can better pinpoint how they travel to and from the thicket next year.

Comment

Using that area this year will be back next

Comment

100% THIS year....

Comment

They're definitely from this season, hard to say how old. We hunted Colorado Bend SP the week of Christmas. Found an old scrape line and several freshly reworked rubs.

We set up and the kid likely dropped the culprit, hard to say for sure.

Comment

couple months old.

Comment

Working...
                              X