Help!!! Left the cap off my tractor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!! Left the cap off my tractor...

I left the fuel cap off my tractor, Kubota. Normally, I put it under a shed...but 3 weeks ago, I was in a hurry and left it by my cabin (exposed). I forgot to put the cap back on and it’s atop the front end. Don’t think we had rain, but don’t wanna chance it. No telling what got in the tank.

Looking for advise. Figure that I need to at least drain it. What else should I do. All suggestions appreciated...even the ones flaming me. I feel pretty stupid.

Thanks!

Put cap on, start, drive tractor and drink a cold one. Chill out.

Comment

My brother did the same thing, but while he was shredding. We had to drain and pull the tank to get to the strainer. It was nasty in there. Also changed the fuel filter. Put it all back together put fresh fuel, ran it for a little while, changed fuel filter again and was good.

Comment

It's fine................
        put some fuel treatment in it, if ya want............

Comment

If you use off road diesel you should be able to drain enough till it runs red. If any water in there it will be the first out.

Three weeks with cap off I would check for water. Water and diesel injectors don't mix without a lot of money

Comment

It's a kubota, it's probably just fine. If you saw the **** we put our landscaping kubota's through, you would agree a little water probably won't hurt it.

Comment

No worries. Crank it up and go

Comment

You'll be fine. Pour some Seafoam in it if you're worried about it.

Comment

Drain it. flush with clean diesel and refill. Should be fine.

Comment

Should be just fine. The only reason I would drain and replace the fuel filter is if you had a really hard rain.

Comment

For piece of mind just drain the tank. Very easy to do. Put it in a a tank for spraying brush. It may be nothing but at least you won’t be worried- Water in a diesel don’t do well

Comment

Yep I’d drain off tank & fuel filter just to be proactive

Comment

#1 Calm down, and be thankful that you were smart enough to have bought a Kubota instead of a John Deere. My dad has a John Deere pre emissions that MAKES ITS OWN WATER, that he has to drain pretty frequently. They say it's from condensation in the tank. IDK, I think it's BS and he should trade that sucker in and get another Kubota like he had and had ZERO problems with.
                          #2 Put the cap back on and top off your fuel and proceed like nothing ever happened. If you got some water in there, you'll find out, it won't break your tractor, your filter system will catch it......maybe. Or your tractor will break, and you will cry.
                          Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 11-12-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Put some Color Kut on a tape measure and stick it in the fuel tank. If there's water in it it will turn red. If not run the tractor. You can buy on Amazon.

Comment

Drained the tank and changed filter. Also ran some more diesel thru it to clean. Headed to town for more off-road fuel.

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Working...
                              X