Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody work for a City’s water Dept? Got a math problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming you have 50 psig pressure at your connection to the mainline, and 40 feet of 3/4 pipe to the "leak" - the flow would be approx 25 gpm or 1500 gph.
    Calculation output

Flow medium: Water 20 °C / liquid
    Volume flow:: 25 gal/min
    Weight density: 998.206 kg/m³
    Dynamic Viscosity: 1001.61 10-6 kg/ms
    Element of pipe: circular
    Dimensions of element: Diameter of pipe D: .75 in.
    Length of pipe L: 40 ft.
    Velocity of flow: 18.16 ft./s
    Reynolds number: 105060
    Velocity of flow 2: -
    Reynolds number 2: -
    Flow: turbulent
    Absolute roughness: .15 mm
    Pipe friction number: 0.04
    Resistance coefficient: 22.8
    Resist.coeff.branching pipe: -
    Press.drop branch.pipe: -
    Pressure drop: 7279.2 lbw./sq.ft.
    50.55 psi

I used http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/

Comment

UPDATE:
      I figured I better update this thread so all of you fellas can stop losing sleep over this
      I received a call from the city water dept today and was told I will be receiving a credit Due to a “Data Acquisition Error” issue with their meter. I asked her to please go back and review the previous 5 months since this new meter had been installed in November to see if they had been over charging me the entire time. All of the other monthly usage was in line with our average usage. 3000-5000 gallons. I asked if she felt that the meter needed to be replaced and she said no. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on the usage every month and make sure it doesn’t happen again.
      Thanks for the replies gents.

Comment

I got a device, which was mostly reimbursed by the city (San Antonio) that hooks onto the meter and tracks water flow through the line by the minute. Works through some kind of magnetic voodoo. You can monitor it remotely and tracks very close to my monthly bill. Not a bad idea. Waterflume.com

Comment

Working...
        X