Opening weekend score....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening weekend score....

I had a tom roosted late yesterday, so I snuck in early this morning. First failure was my GoPro deciding it wasn't going to cooperate (something not at all uncommon in my experience), then it was the toms and hens who didn't want to play fair. There was a lot of gobbling, I had several toms and hens on the ground within a hundred yards at fly down. They hung around for about an hour calling back and forth. I kept my calling to a minimum, as I knew that at least one of the birds was a big old tom, and he probably wasn't going to come to me cutting and yelping a lot. Well, I saw one tom coming around, looked like he was going to commit, then he just walked off. The gobbles were starting to fade, so I went nuclear and just started calling aggressively, which rarely works. The next thing I know, here comes one on the run. I hit record on my Sony remote, he comes right to my Dave Smith jake decoy, sticks his neck out,....and I miss! I guess he thought that was a bird that went blowing past his head, because he came back at the decoy, purring loudly. I grabbed another arrow with my five thumbs and my heart racing. This time my aim was good, the Bullhead struck home, and he hit the ground motionless with a broken neck at five yards. Then I look at the Sony, "standby". The remote failed me. Well, I still have that big boy to hunt.

Congrats sir, no easy feat what you accomplished.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

What a fun hunt. Congrats on a great trophy with an arrow.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Great fun!! Dang things are hard to hit Congrats

Comment

Awesome sounding hunt! Going to try for my first turkey when thr season opens up here.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Very nice! They are exciting with a bow!
                    When an old Tom is henned up like that, I sometimes like to call to the dominant hen. Every time she cranks up, I fire back at her loud and aggressive. If she comes in mad, he's going to be right behind her.

Comment

Turkey hunting is a blast when you are able to call them in.

Comment

Good job! Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

What a great hunt, congrats !!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X