Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Homes (What to look for in walk throughs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Homes (What to look for in walk throughs)

Looking for advice on upcoming walk throughs for our first home (new construction).

Closing date is 3/30. First walk through is 3/23 and final walk through is 3/29. I received all those dates on Monday of this week.

One area of concern was water was apparently on in the house during the freeze and a pipe busted in the attic over the study. They repaired that and all the floor trim. Sheet rock is unknown but will be asking. What other items should I look at? Builder/loan company has a inspector running through before the first walk through. I looked into getting my own but the guy I spoke to was pretty concerned that enough would be done by then for me to get my full money worth (appreciated the honesty). I asked the builder if what the condition of the house would be in by then but seemed like he stepped around the question and said the inspector has to have his report to them before the first walk through and they will only address code items. (Sound normal?)
    Progress has been very slow until last Thursday when I made a big ordeal about it because I only locked in my rate 19 days before closing and rates have only been going up since the end of Feb. This cost me to the tune of 10-12k over the life of the loan. So not sure how much will be there to inspect/see by the first walk through.

I am obviously very green to this experience so open to all advice. Thank you.

They should also address workmanship items at that time also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
      Agreed.

Also take a night lite or something small and test EVERY outlet for power.

test all light switches.

Look to see that all A/C vents are there & not covered up with sheet rock.

Bring your own tape to flag stuff. Any gaps to outlets /sheetrock.

the leak you spoke of, go up in attic and look. More than likely you will have sheet rock damage.

test all water faucets. inside & out.

Check ALL windows to make sure they open up good and close easily and lock. If you have to force it to lock...flag it. it ain't square.

Check all doors to open / close properly.

Make sure all appliances work properly.

Ask where A/C drains out. make sure there is a "T" to put bleach in periodically.

oh, and congrats on your new home.

Comment

Hire your own inspector anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your own inspector isn’t a bad idea

Don’t sign the paper from your first blue tape session

Check the floors closely for bad grout spots and paint on the floor

Check attic for beer cans and other junk

If you have a sprinkler system, check the valves and piping and check how all the heads spray

Make sure anything you notice before you close gets blue taped and fixed

Comment

Moisture meter to check that sheetrock. I'd be concerned about mold. If they had to replace the base trim, that sheetrock soaked up some water.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a buddy that is an inspector in your area. PM me if you would like his contact information. If I were you I’d hire an inspector.

Comment

Hire a good independent inspector as soon as you can and definitely before closing. If the construction in Houston is anything like DFW, there will be tons of items to repair besides the issues related to the previous leak. I am inspecting homes every day and almost all are new construction. I can pm you with some names to use in your area if needed. Most good inspectors are booked out a week or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
                  Originally posted by Chadhender View Post
                  I have a buddy that is an inspector in your area. PM me if you would like his contact information. If I were you I’d hire an inspector.
                  Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                  Hire a good independent inspector as soon as you can and definitely before closing. If the construction in Houston is anything like DFW, there will be tons of items to repair besides the issues related to the previous leak. I am inspecting homes every day and almost all are new construction. I can pm you with some names to use in your area if needed. Most good inspectors are booked out a week or more.

PM’s sent

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post

Best advice...... your gonna get.............

Comment

Always hire your own inspector. Always.

Take a roll of blue tape each for both you and your wife. First walk through ask the builder to leave and then go around and tape everything. It will take a few hours. Tape, then take photos, then email the photos to the builder. Get everyone on the same page as to what needs to happen before you close. Your closing is right at quarter end so your builder is going to be doing everything they can to make sure you sign before the 31st whether your house is done with the punch list or not. Hold their feet to the fire because getting their attention after closing is a crap shoot

Comment

Is it normal that a inspector has to complete their report before the first walk?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post

Good advice here! If you would use a home inspector on a used home why not use one one a new construction? We assume because it’s new construction there will not be a problem but it’s not always the case.

Comment

fill up all sinks and bathtubs...then drain them.!

Comment

How long is your builder warranty? I know people that like to wait on the inspection until they’re a couple months out from the warranty being up. Inspect it at that point and get everything addressed for peace of mind before it’s expired. Who is your builder?

Comment

Working...
                              X