No announcement yet.

Best whole house Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have one but have heard good reports on the Kohler. Research what plants and refineries and other must have power places have. I've heard that most of these places have Kohler.

Comment

FIL’s Generac 150kw bit the dust this evening going in the morning to check it out to see what happened. I’m going with the Cummins for sure now. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post
        I don't have one but have heard good reports on the Kohler. Research what plants and refineries and other must have power places have. I've heard that most of these places have Kohler.
        All the ones we have at the chemical plant where I work are Cummins. I haven’t seen many issues with them over the past 8 years. We run them weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          Our Kohler just did a 27 hour run. The generac salesmen told me to go Kohler...........
          Do you have the contact info for generac salesman? I'd love to pick his brain. Will be bying a generator shortly and would like to ask him some questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
            Do you have the contact info for generac salesman? I'd love to pick his brain. Will be bying a generator shortly and would like to ask him some questions.
            Well i looked. Used Quality Generator in Conroe in 2015 for the install. A 20K set up cost 13,000.00 back then. Our salesman was a couple of years older than me and must be 70ish today. {retired}

Our Kohler is on day 3. It's wierd how you get used to a 8hp engine running in your back yard.........

Comment

Best whole house Generator

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post

In the Commercial world Generac and Kohler at bottom of the barrel and Cummins, CAT and MTU are the top dogs. But they certainly bring a premium price.

I have a Generac 22kw at my house but I wish I had done more research and looked more into Cummins/Onan options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                In the Commercial world Generac and Kohler at bottom of the barrel and Cummins, CAT and MTU are the top dogs. But they certainly bring a premium price.

I have a Generac 22kw at my house but I wish I had done more research and looked more into Cummins/Onan options.
                Whats the reputation of their portable generators? The Onan P9500df is only $1k compared to a harborfreight Predator 9000 that everyone likes at $750.

Comment

Keep the info coming. I didn't even know about some of these brands.

Comment

Gotta get a Honda

Comment

I put a Generac 18kw on our new house 4 years ago. No problems ever until today. Unit shut down because of low oil pressure. I cleaned up oil in cabinet and refilled with oil and cranked up to find leak. It was the oil pressure sensor right above the oil filter. Called local guy that set mine up and got part from him and back in business now. I have no complaints with Generac, anything mechanical can have an issue. Shut itself down like it was supposed to. Running on NG
                      Last edited by Reel cajun; 02-17-2021, 05:38 PM. Reason: ***

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                        I put a Generac 18kw on our new house 4 years ago. No problems ever until today. Unit shut down because of low oil pressure. I cleaned up oil in cabinet and refilled with oil and cranked up to find leak. It was the oil pressure sensor right above the oil filter. Called local guy that set mine up and got part from him and back in business now. I have no complaints with Generac, anything mechanical can have an issue. Shut itself down like it was supposed to. Running on NG

This oil pressure sensor seems to be a common issue if one arises.

I just don’t decide which way to go on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          FIL’s Generac 150kw bit the dust this evening going in the morning to check it out to see what happened. I’m going with the Cummins for sure now. Lol

Good lord is he running a whole neighborhood? 150kW is a beast of a unit.

We use CAT and Cummins in industrial settings but that’s for critical power and they have more robust monitoring options. Like mentioned previously, most do a weekly cycle test and actually send a report out via WiFi directly to the maintenance group. You don’t need all that for a house. They are great but def more expensive when the break. We also run liquid cooled units which adds to the price tag.

I’m looking into more reasonable residential units now.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                            Whats the reputation of their portable generators? The Onan P9500df is only $1k compared to a harborfreight Predator 9000 that everyone likes at $750.

I’m going to call my Cummins rep tomorrow and talk to him about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                              Good lord is he running a whole neighborhood? 150kW is a beast of a unit.

We use CAT and Cummins in industrial settings but that’s for critical power and they have more robust monitoring options. Like mentioned previously, most do a weekly cycle test and actually send a report out via WiFi directly to the maintenance group. You don’t need all that for a house. They are great but def more expensive when the break. We also run liquid cooled units which adds to the price tag.

I’m looking into more reasonable residential units now.
                              Thw new home Generac models do the weekly start up battery charge and test update.

Comment

Wish I was a home generator salesman. I'd be able to retire in a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X