Welder Generator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder Generator ?

I am looking at the Miller Bobcat 250 and Hobart Champion Elite. It would be for personal use not a business. With all the bad weather lately and living on the coast and potential hurricanes I am finding it easy to justify the cost. I rather spend the money on one of these versus a big generator. I guess hooking one of these up to the house would be as easy as a regular gen set?
    That said, I want opinions on these. Are these good ones for a guy that does not weld weekly? Pros/cons or better units for my use? I have a Hobart 145 and enjoy using it and it works good for my needs. I would like to have a bigger generator and hopefully I will use the welder more as I get older and have more time for ranch projects etc

I have the Miller Bobcat 225. It works great as a welder and a generator. I mounted an air compressor next to it. So now I have mobile air as well. Also can run my plasma cutter with the setup. This has made life a lot easier for me. I'd rather have diesel powered but couldn't justify the extra cost.

Comment

Plenty enough power. Id just worry about water damage or theft. They also blow through some fuel under load. But it should work with ease. Wire box for it and go.

Comment

I’ve got the Hobart I have setup as a backup. As mentioned above. They consume some serious fuel under load. It’ll work well for short outtages and such. The amount of fuel required to run it would be costly not to mention the fact you’d have to store significant amounts of it. Not worth it for a multiple day outtage IMO.

Comment

Oh and they’re loud. Real loud lol

Comment

I own a welding supply store in Corpus Christi. We are a Lincoln dealer and the Lincoln warranty center for the area. Let me know if I can help. 361-944-0894.

Sold a lot of Lincoln Rangers the last couple days and I’m waiting at my office now, without electricity, to sell my last one in stock. But I’ve got more on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
              I own a welding supply store in Corpus Christi. We are a Lincoln dealer and the Lincoln warranty center for the area. Let me know if I can help. 361-944-0894.

Sold a lot of Lincoln Rangers the last couple days and I’m waiting at my office now, without electricity, to sell my last one in stock. But I’ve got more on the way.
              This is good to know. I will be in touch as I need a new setup for our shop. Sending a PM

Comment

Buy Blue !

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                  Buy Blue !
                  You spelled ‘red’ wrong lol

Comment

I have a 225 at my ranch and have a plug/cord wired for hookup. It will run the building if needed including the split ac/heat system. I haven’t had to run it more than about an hr so not sure what the fuel rate is. I’d love to keep about a 200g tank but gas just doesn’t last very long before going bad even with additive.
                    I wonder if there is a way to run it in propane??

Comment

I was running part of my house on my Miller Bobcat last night

I was back feeding through a 10g extension cord basically.

Dad walked me through how to do it over the phone.

By spring time I will have a dedicated feed to the panel wired in complete with the safety switch thing.

Rule #1 is to turn off the main before doing ANYTHING. Keep you from getting lit up if the power comes back on or killing someone working on the transmission lines

I think dad told me that every other sentence for the first 15min

Comment

I have to say that my Big Blue got my family thru uncle arctic stepping in here on sunday and hopefully he's leaving by friday ....kept the well going....and heater and lights running when we lost power...I'll live with the noise...cant go wrong with anything that will get you thru the tough times and gives you peace of mind for your family's well being

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
                          You spelled ‘red’ wrong lol
                          He forgot how to spell "miller killer"

Comment

Originally posted by open.pasture View Post
                            I have to say that my Big Blue got my family thru uncle arctic stepping in here on sunday and hopefully he's leaving by friday ....kept the well going....and heater and lights running when we lost power...I'll live with the noise...cant go wrong with anything that will get you thru the tough times and gives you peace of mind for your family's well being
                            How much fuel did you burn? I’m seriously considering going this route also.

Comment

Working...
                            X