Pole barn question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pole barn question

Looking to the green screen for advice, I am currently having a pole barn built behind the house right now. The guys just put up exterior walls and I noticed there was no base trim installed along all the areas where the metal sits on concrete. Has anyone done it this way or seen this before?

I have a meeting with my builder in the morning to discuss this because I want the base trim installed around the entire building but it looks like this could be an issue since they have installed all the walls besides the front already.

I feel like the base trim in a must for several reasons, rodents, potential water, and esthetically it keeps all the bottom metal flush and straight.

Let me know your thought, I appreciate all the advice.
    Attached Files

The only time I have heard of no base trim is when you have ledge in the concrete. If you don’t have one your barn is going to be full of water. I’d be raising the BS flag quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      The only time I have heard of no base trim is when you have ledge in the concrete. If you don’t have one your barn is going to be full of water. I’d be raising the BS flag quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I do have a ledge on the concrete, that is exactly why he said he didn’t install it. Everything on the interior of the building is 6” concrete, and everything on the exterior is 4”, so there is a 2” ledge. I do get that part of it.

To me the base trim would just be added protection, and esthetically make a huge difference giving it more of a finished look while keeping all the metal flush.

Comment

Anyone by chance installed base trim on a pole barn or metal building without having to take all the metal off the walls and basically start over?

Comment

I’ve never seen it on a pole barn, mostly on the metal homes and high end buildings for esthetic reasons

Comment

If its got a concrete ledge you are GTG. Might be able to slide the trim in but honestly thats not going to make them sit flush. Builder should be stacking and predrilling the sheets to keep things straight.
            Last edited by LWolken; 09-14-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

It does have a ledge so maybe it would be more for esthetic purposes. My builder knows what he’s doing and is a first class guy so I know he will do whatever needs to be done I just wanted to get some other opinions.

The metal currently is all straight, the bottom just mainly looks unfinished in my opinion. It’s not a cheap “she shed” so I just expected the building to have base trim.

Comment

That is standard pole barn construction. No worries.

Comment

Got a picture of the whole barn? You use Phillips ?

Comment

Looks normal, same as mine

Comment

Your definition of a pole barn and mine are different. I have never had/built one with trim but then again I have never built one on concrete either. I think you are more than fine and the contractor did exactly what he was supposed to do.

-john

Comment

Mine does not have it either. It is not required when you have a sheet ledge in the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

I was thinking the same thing. If that slab doesn't have a ledge, base trim are not its going to get water in it.

Comment

Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
                            I’ve never seen it on a pole barn, mostly on the metal homes and high end buildings for esthetic reasons
                            This. Nobody does what you're talking about, OP.

Comment

I’m having one built now. They just framed it yesterday. Not quite sure what your referring to when you say trim, but mine will have what they call a rat guard at the base. It basically does what your talking about. Keeps rodents out and the walls flush when they go up. And yes it will be flush to the concrete ledge.

Comment

Working...
                              X