The perfect feeder timer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perfect feeder timer?

Ok, I'm looking for the perfect feeder timer and if it doesn't exist, explore getting it made. I'll start with what I consider the "perfect" timer features:

-IP67 Rated so that humidity and/or severe dampness doesn't ruin it long-term
    -6 program times minimum plus
    -2 program times each day that are X minutes/hours after sunrise and x minutes/hours before sunset.
    Sunset and Sunrise based on input GPS coordinates rather than GPS chip (save battery)
    -optional remote to set it off from the stand manually
    -nvram that saves the settings if the battery dies or is unplugged so it goes right back to operation after plugging it in

As much as I'd like to see bluetooth, wifi, remote programming, etc. those increase the cost quite a bit and draw on battery quite a bit as well. Given hunting is during the winter and solar output is very weak. Too many gadgets will run the feeder batteries hard...

Under $75ish w/o remote and under $120ish with remote.

What would you add/change?

THE TIMER. Problem solved

Comment

I would love to see some sort of Bluetooth devices that plugs inline that you can trigger your feeder to feed on your Covert camera software. Also, you could manage feed times and all from a single software.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        ^^^^^^

Comment

The Timer doesn’t do all that!!!
          A good motor will sling corn 40 yards in every direction, so how about a Hi, Med, or Low spins. That way if you want to feed in a tight spot, set motor on low and have it sling just under the feeder.

Comment

Sneaky Feed

Comment

I like where you are headed, but I only need 2 times (Morning and evening).
              I've tried more and usually run off what is already there or pull in turkeys.

Also don't need days of the week.
              Too many options just builds in the opportunity for user error.

I like the idea of being able to adjust feed times and such remotely, like adjusting cell cameras.

Lets also add a camera to the housing so I can see the deer off to the side of the feeder instead of having to look at the feeder.
              a 360 rotating camera mounted to the bottom of the box so I can remote in and spin the camera to look around.

And since we are now controlling it from our cell phone, can a get feeder level indication so I can know how much corn to bring?
              (note to self, point cell cameras towards feeder sight glasses from now on....)

Not trying to be a smart A, just spit balling here....

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                ^^^^^^

The Timer is great, and probably the best on the market. I don’t know of anything that does what the OP is asking.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                  Sneaky Feed
                  Could've been truly game changing

Now the creator doesn't even post on here. I miss seeing their hunts

Comment

Had em on my 2 Hang Em Highs for the last 8 years...zero problems and only had to change 12V batteries once so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                      Ok, I'm looking for the perfect feeder timer and if it doesn't exist, explore getting it made. I'll start with what I consider the "perfect" timer features:

-IP67 Rated so that humidity and/or severe dampness doesn't ruin it long-term
                      -6 program times minimum plus
                      -2 program times each day that are X minutes/hours after sunrise and x minutes/hours before sunset.
                      Sunset and Sunrise based on input GPS coordinates rather than GPS chip (save battery)

-optional remote to set it off from the stand manually
                      -nvram that saves the settings if the battery dies or is unplugged so it goes right back to operation after plugging it in

As much as I'd like to see bluetooth, wifi, remote programming, etc. those increase the cost quite a bit and draw on battery quite a bit as well. Given hunting is during the winter and solar output is very weak. Too many gadgets will run the feeder batteries hard...

Under $75ish w/o remote and under $120ish with remote.

What would you add/change?
                      I bought a little microcontroller eval board and started playing around with the code for this many years ago and it fell on the back burner. I wanted to be able to set the feeder timer to my manually input GPS coordinates for x-minutes before sunrise & y-minutes before sunset b/c I hate jacking with the time throughout the year. Its a great idea and I can forward the sunrise/sunset equations I have for the math part if you need.

Option to set it off manually as well is a nice to have

IMO I don't know that IP67 rating is worth it given that most (if not all) timers are in an enclosure with the motor & battery
                      Last edited by JonBoy; 01-06-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Unless you got one from the infamous "bad batch." LOL

Comment

maybe that is why I use gravity feeders
                          Way too much overthinking things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            maybe that is why I use gravity feeders
                            Way too much overthinking things.
                            Technology isn’t for everyone.