Quick question on walk in coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this work? Taking a storage building on skids about 8x8 give or take, un insulated and install a small window a/c to keep deer or hog killed cool enough to not go bad for a couple of days? With the seasons being still pretty warm so late in the year and we don’t have a good processor close enough to drop off meat for processing and come back to hunt some more. Have to pack up and go home early if someone kills a critter. Too hot to hang in trees and may not want to quarter it up and put in a cooler. Will the 5000-8000 btu a/c keep it cool enough? And if so any serious Cons to doing this?

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didn’t create greed and a feeling of despair if you didn’t kill something!

I don't think so. Not an un-insulated building. And without being at least somewhat airtight I think I'd worry about bugs/critters.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

yes, look up cool-bot

Comment

It would have to be insulated

Comment

Spray foam it or put up insulation and plywood (paint it ) . Add a cool
          Bot and you are good to go.

Comment

I looked up the cool bot controller. Looks nice enough.

Is the ac controller set to minimum which will put out about 45 degree air not be enough to do a good job without the $350 cool bot?

I’m thinking of buying a small cargo trailer to insulate and panel for this now for the Easy portability factor!

Thanks for all the replies!

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didn’t create greed and a feeling of despair if you didn’t kill something!

Comment

If you can get it to 36-38 degrees you will be good

Comment

Need to insulate the building. We used plywood over the insulation. Best I can remember a 1/2 ton ac unit with an adjustable penn thermostat switch. It would get the inside temperature down to between 36-39. If you go below 34 the ac unit will freeze up. Amazon has the penn adjustable thermostat remote bulb.
                Last edited by kornsqueezer; 11-28-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Insulate it and use a cool bot. Only way to get it to a safe temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wall off one corner ( about 4x4) Insulate one corner and over lay with plywood. Then add a window unit. I bet you could hang a up to 4 deer in that space and keep it cool.

Comment

Without a coolbot the a/c will not get down below about 60 degrees.
                        A coolbot will get your cooler down onto 30's with some insulation.

A coolbot is well worth the price, heck now they have one that can be controlled by your phone or computer.

Comment

It could work. I hang meat in the mountains for days . I would go ahead and skin it, hang it and put it in game bags. The key is keeping flies off. You can also trick a window unit into running cooler without a cool bot. You find the wire with the thermometer sensor that goes to the thermostat. You will have to remove the front cover. Most have two, one on coils and one on the side. Just wires with a little metal tip. Loosen the one on the side and start rapping some type of insulation. It will trick the thermostat and you should be able to get the unit to cycle down in the 40’s. The cool bot just tricks the unit by placing a little heating element on the thermometer so the unit cycles at the desired room temp.

Comment

Working...
                          X