How do you load a deer by yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you load a deer by yourself?

I often hunt by myself. I keep a come-along in my tool box, but that's a pretty clunky way to load a big animal, especially in tree-sparse areas. I've got a scrap piece of plywood in the bed of the truck to use as a ramp, but it'll rot and have to be replaced. I've thought about buying or building a game hoist with a boat winch that fits into the receiver, but that kind of rig takes up a lot of space in the bed of the truck and would rattle around and rust and generally be in my way 99% of the time. Is there a clever gadget that you keep in your truck all the time to help load up critters?

Not sure about full time but forverlast has, or Atleast had a hoist that went on your hitch

Comment

HME makes a trailer hitch winch that works great on your truck or on your atv. I paid about $125 for it I believe.

Comment

In for answers. Last time I killed one by myself, I couldn’t get it loaded. I ended up dragging it with the truck about 1/4 mile to a steep tank dam so I could back the tailgate up to the hill and roll the deer down the deer onto the truck bed.

Comment

I use motorcycle tie down straps one inch at a time.............

Comment

Here it is
            Attached Files

Comment

Lift antlers up to tailgate.....hold head there with 1 hand while climbing up into bed with other hand/feet.....pull deer up into bed

Fold down step on my 2020 GMC makes it a lot easier, but still can do that with a 1-piece tailgate. Park back wheels in a low spot to get tailgate lower.

Comment

Grab it by its legs and swing it up on the tailgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Lift antlers up to tailgate.....hold head there with 1 hand while climbing up into bed with other hand/feet.....pull deer up into bed
                  This exactly. I'll put the horns in the cable of the tailgate to keep them there and climb in and squat to grab the horns and lift with your legs.

Comment

Go to the gym and throw the deer in the back of my truck.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive ran the winch cable thru a snatch block attached to the roof of my ranger and winched deer and elk into the bed a few times

Comment

I have a basket that fits my 2" receiver on my truck, ATV or Polaris Ranger. I stand in the basket and slide them up and in. Reaching the tailgate on most trucks these days is a ton of work!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Grab rear legs and climb up on the tail gate. While sitting on my knees, I pull it up in the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I do what Shane said. except i keep a short piece of rope in the truck. I tie the rope to the head, stand in the bed of the truck and pull the head up. Once the head is up I just walk backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

Fold down step on my 2020 GMC makes it a lot easier, but still can do that with a 1-piece tailgate. Park back wheels in a low spot to get tailgate lower.
                              This^

Comment

Working...
                              X