Liquid Bleach in a pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid Bleach in a pool?

Anyone use the chlorinated bleach made for pools to help keep the water clear? I have an above ground pool and have been in a constant battle to keep it clear and clean in this heat all summer. Guy at work said to dump about 5-6 jugs of the chlorinated bleach made for pools into in. I’ve always seen this stuff sold in the stores but never have tried it. Does it work? I have a 12,000 gallon pool so would 5-6 jugs of it be enough or too much?

Originally posted by marshman View Post
    Anyone use the chlorinated bleach made for pools to help keep the water clear? I have an above ground pool and have been in a constant battle to keep it clear and clean in this heat all summer. Guy at work said to dump about 5-6 jugs of the chlorinated bleach made for pools into in. I’ve always seen this stuff sold in the stores but never have tried it. Does it work? I have a 12,000 gallon pool so would 5-6 jugs of it be enough or too much?
    I don't know that I would use 5-6 gallons of bleach in the pool. Have you tested it and if so what are the readings? I have a 13500 gallon above ground pool and have never used that much chlorine.

Comment

Waaaaaay to much....

I have a inground 20k gal pool....

I use it ....I put 1/2 gallon per week to supplement my 3” tablets....but I like to run around 8-9 ppm of free chlorine..not 3 to 5 like they recommend...I just despise algae...

Chlorinating bleach is 10% bleach.....use 2 gallons if you have to shock it....but don’t swim for a few days....
      Check your stabilizer level....this heat and sunlight chews up chlorine fast

Comment

Testing for free chlorine is the key and will tell you how much to use and how often

Comment

for you guys that fight algae BioGuard makes a product called Optimizer. You only add it 1 time per year. I have not had algae in 5 years.

I know everyone has different water but this has worked for me.

Comment

Watch your ph. Liquid chlorine kills it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have an auto chlorinator on ours but I still shock it once a week with the granulated shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There is a lot of different things that need to be in balance. I would take a sample and have it tested.

Comment

6 jugs in a 12k gallon pool would give a new definition to “tightie whities”

Comment

Go to Troublefreepool.com and get a good test kit. You should be quick checking chlorine and PH at least every other day, after that everythign esle once a week until in range then you can cut back to once a month. My pool is over 20k gallons and I typically just add 3 inch tablets to the skimmer intake shelf during the summer and all is well.

If you do not get your TA, CYA and CH in check you will always chase FC and PH. You will also get the 'Chlorine Smell' from CCs.

Comment

This time of year tuff on pools. I have to run my chlorine a little high to keep it balanced. Better to run a little too much than borderline as you wind up fighting algae every other week. I keep the chlorinater on 3, then use a Floater with one or two tabs in it, then shock the pool every other week with shock from Leslies.

Comment

as mentioned, troublefreepool.com

go there, read up, get their test kit and your pool will be pristine from here on out

Comment

There is some bad info already in the thread.

Go to troublefreepool.com

Comment

Man I'm glad I don't have a pool

Comment

Yep. Go to trouble free pool.com and then download the pool math app. It takes the guesswork out.

Comment

Working...
                              X