No announcement yet.

Wind & blind placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It your going to be staring at a feeder it does not matter where you put it.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      It your going to be staring at a feeder it does not matter where you put it.

So wind doesnt matter?

As mentioned already, depends where deer come from. If all directions as you mention, there wont be a perfect spot. But after all the north winds this season and our stands being set up for a south wind, I would plan for a north wind set and maybe buy a tripod for hunting in October and a south wind set. No one stand location will be perfect for the entire season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just thought of something. Set up 2 feeders playing the wind. Cheaper than 2 blinds.

Comment

Remember Thermals help lots..You can have wrong wind and thermals and sent rises as sun warms up..and of course thermals cause sent to fall as air cools...Ask around to locals on predominant wind in early winter...and there is that type info on Weather sites just gota dig it up...I'm just not familiar with that area..maybe set up a couple pop up this season and LEARN...

Comment

West side in our area and we are good 90% of the time. Deer usually will come in down windbof feeders at our place.

Comment

Prevailing wind is generally south till weather pattern starts to change in Nov/Dec and then it is a northwest wind. I am currently setup due north of one feeder and southeast of another feeder. I have shot deer from both locations but I’m always looking to improve my odds.

Comment

Here:

October will be 95% SE & S
                November will be a different wind several times a day
                December will be (for sure this year) mostly N & NW

ALL my “permanent” location have 2 stands, 1 NW of intended shot and 1 SE of intended shot. I watch deer movement and adjust as needed

Comment

Based on data from 1946 and subdivided for October through Mid-January, you get the following directions. I think I would do west or east. I assumed your hunt location in your profile was the location for you, so this is Abilene area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	abilene-rgnl-ap-tx-wind.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	24639299

Comment

Here in Iowa I hunt a different set almost every hunt depending on wind/thermals. Sometimes I will hunt the same set twice if everything is "right".

Feeders are not allowed here so we are hunting pinch points, travel corridors, field edges, creek crossings, trails leading to food plots, etc.

This is a not an easy process, but I will guarantee this works. It takes a lot of research and boots on the ground. Also we are talking about bow hunting. You can kill a buck with a rifle from a box blind from 100+ yards without as much concern of wind direction.

These are not my words. This is a quote, that was written by a friend that has killed multiple 180" to 200+" "no fence" bucks here in Iowa. Also this method is most effective from October 25 to Thanksgiving here in Iowa which includes the latter part of pre rut, peak rut and post rut action.

Quote:

"Hopefully this is helpful to some wanting to learn. Lots of people grind into the timber. I personally try to "give them the timber" and hunt the predictable pinches that they have to use to travel from area of cover to another area of cover. Also, they will nearly always ....if alone and mature... be traveling quartering INTO THE WIND! I cannot stress this enough! Think about it. You cannot expect a mature buck that has this super nose that can detect danger from hundreds of yards away, to just cast it to the wind and wander around without using it! He WILL be walking into the wind 90% of the time!
                    Now, this time of year they are searching hard if they are not on a doe, so they are going from cover to cover using whatever is available to keep them secluded! That means depressions in fields, point to point of timber, fencerows, treelines, creek ways, water ways, anything! So if they connect 2 areas of timber you can bet the farm a buck will be using it! It is predictable and it is deadly for you to key in on! Again, they will be moving quartering INTO the wind so you need to have your stands set up accordingly so he "has the wind in HIS favor" but you are set up so he can't get your wind. Once you are set up like that, you are essentially using his number 1 defense/tool AGAINST him! That my friends is how you smash a giant!"

End of Quote.

Also. Entry and exit strategy is very, very important.

We are not talking about 1.5 to 3.5 year old deer. You can get away with a lot with that age class. We are talking about 4.5 year old deer and older. If you are not set up correctly you will not kill these bucks and you probably will not even see these bucks as they will have already detected you and avoided you.

You will bow kill this upper age class in a couple of ways.

1. Your set up just is just dumb lucky as far as the wind goes or a mature buck follows a hot doe by you in bow range. You still got to stop him and make the shot.

2. You set up in a narrow pinch with the wind in the bucks favor, but where he can't detect you. You still got to get him stopped and make the shot. Easy peasy?? No !! But it dang sure works if you make the effort.

This is how I killed my buck on November 11th. I was set up in a pinch between the base of a steep ridge and the river behind me. Blue line is wind direction. Yellow dots is direction of deer travel. The red dots are my entry path to the tree I set up in that morning in my tree saddle. I had 3 bucks that morning that worked along the bottom of that ridge moving from one area of timber to another area of timber. All 3 bucks were quartering into the wind and the thermals that were dropping off the ridge toward the river. From this lower position they were able to wind check all that timber upwind, but they never knew I was there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-19-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                      Here in Iowa I hunt a different set almost every hunt depending on wind/thermals. Sometimes I will hunt the same set twice if everything is "right".

Feeders are not allowed here so we are hunting pinch points, travel corridors, field edges, creek crossings, trails leading to food plots, etc.

This is a not an easy process, but I will guarantee this works. It takes a lot of research and boots on the ground. Also we are talking about bow hunting. You can kill a buck with a rifle from a box blind from 100+ yards without as much concern of wind direction.

These are not my words. This is a quote, that was written by a friend that has killed multiple 180" to 200+" "no fence" bucks here in Iowa. Also this method is most effective from October 25 to Thanksgiving here in Iowa which includes the latter part of pre rut, peak rut and post rut action.

Quote:

"Hopefully this is helpful to some wanting to learn. Lots of people grind into the timber. I personally try to "give them the timber" and hunt the predictable pinches that they have to use to travel from area of cover to another area of cover. Also, they will nearly always ....if alone and mature... be traveling quartering INTO THE WIND! I cannot stress this enough! Think about it. You cannot expect a mature buck that has this super nose that can detect danger from hundreds of yards away, to just cast it to the wind and wander around without using it! He WILL be walking into the wind 90% of the time!
                      Now, this time of year they are searching hard if they are not on a doe, so they are going from cover to cover using whatever is available to keep them secluded! That means depressions in fields, point to point of timber, fencerows, treelines, creek ways, water ways, anything! So if they connect 2 areas of timber you can bet the farm a buck will be using it! It is predictable and it is deadly for you to key in on! Again, they will be moving quartering INTO the wind so you need to have your stands set up accordingly so he "has the wind in HIS favor" but you are set up so he can't get your wind. Once you are set up like that, you are essentially using his number 1 defense/tool AGAINST him! That my friends is how you smash a giant!"

End of Quote.

Also. Entry and exit strategy is very, very important.

We are not talking about 1.5 to 3.5 year old deer. You can get away with a lot with that age class. We are talking about 4.5 year old deer and older. If you are not set up correctly you will not kill these bucks and you probably will not even see these bucks as they will have already detected you and avoided you.

You will bow kill this upper age class in a couple of ways.

1. Your set up just is just dumb lucky as far as the wind goes or a mature buck follows a hot doe by you in bow range. You still got to stop him and make the shot.

2. You set up in a narrow pinch with the wind in the bucks favor, but where he can't detect you. You still got to get him stopped and make the shot. Easy peasy?? No !! But it dang sure works if you make the effort.

This is how I killed my buck on November 11th. I was set up in a pinch between the base of a steep ridge and the river behind me. Blue line is wind direction. Yellow dots is direction of deer travel. The red dots are my entry path to the tree I set up in that morning in my tree saddle. I had 3 bucks that morning that worked along the bottom of that ridge moving from one area of timber to another area of timber. All 3 bucks were quartering into the wind and the thermals that were dropping off the ridge toward the river. From this lower position they were able to wind check all that timber upwind, but they never knew I was there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good stuff
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X