Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the sideways pic.

Comment

I think mine was 4 maybe 5 when he started on the .22. He shot pellet guns some before that but not much.

One thing that really helped was a buddy of mine had a 10/22 with a collapsible stock that would get real short, and a pistol grip. The trigger was garbage, and hard for him to pull, but he solved that by using both hands/both trigger fingers, around the pistol grip.

The next jump to the AR (.223) was natural and easy. All the kids we’ve taught at the lease are excellent shots, I’m super proud of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was 4-5 when I started with a 22. I started shooting a ruger m77 243 around 7 years old. By the time I was 10 I was shooting a 12 ga with low brass shells and a semi auto Remington 270

Comment

If you go 10/22 it’s easy to drop in a KIDD trigger group and make it a decent shooter

Comment

We raised three boys and I was crazy hot to get them doing cool stuff ASAP.
            So about 4 or 5 they got pellet guns. I bought a Crickett a bit later on and they all learned on it and from there it was full speed ahead. They are 28,26 and 24 now with their own guns. Ear protection and eye protection are paramount when kids are shooting.

Comment

Until they have the strength to control the muzzle with no aids, They are too young. Dont get me wrong here. Aides are just fine for shooting targets or game.

Comment

BB gun - as soon as they were old enough to hold it horizontal and pull the trigger without falling over. I cut the stock down on red ryder which helped.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    The BB gun thread prompted me to inquire just cause curious minds want to know. How old were your kiddos when they started shooting something like a BB gun or a single shot 22?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    H started shooting a BB gun at 6, followed up with a .17 HMR at 7. He killed his first deer at 8 with a RAR .300 AAC and has since killed an 8, doe, 2 hogs and 5 point with the AAC and 6.5 creedmoor. He'll be 10 in March.

Comment

I let my three kids start shooting at the age they showed interest, which was around 3-4. There was very elementary coaching at this point, it was more centered around them getting familiar with general mechanics of a gun. They all started showing more interest in accurate shooting around 5, so a bit more advanced coaching (still relatively elementary) started. They’d shoot at targets ranging from 10-25ish yds, never really wanted them to shoot much further as I was more concerned with mechanics and building confidence. They (now 20, 11 and 6) have still never shot a high powered rifle at a target, but are lights out shooters on animals. My 11 year old prob has 50+ animals under her belt and my 6 year old got his first two deer a couple of weeks ago.
                      Attached Files

Comment

6 with a BB, 8-9 with a 22 and 410 , 12 with a 243

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
                          LMAO!!!! My grandson shot a pellet gun at 3 and killed his first turkey with a .410 at 4 years old. My son taught him gun safety from day one.

Comment

All three of mine started with a BB Gun around 5-6. They had supervised shooting exercises/outings many times before that. Each child develops differently so I had to take into consideration their level of undertaking and ability to follow safe gun handling skills and the knowledge to understand the importance of the gun rules. That started with toy Nerf guns & bows. There were little Nerf gun orange bullets and arrows all over & throughout the house starting very early! Then they moved to air soft toy pistols and air soft rifles, then to BB guns, to Pellet Gun , to the .22. Girls tend to mature mentally faster than boys. Gun rules started early because hunting & the outdoors were a family activity. I am extremely proud of them all and their fundamental safety practices. No one got to shoot a deer until they were 8. That was because I wanted them to be at an age where they made the conscious decision to shoot and knowing they were going to kill the deer. Turning 8 was a Big Deal and a life Milestone. As a parent you need to evaluate each child on an independent basis. Common sense has to prevail all the time with firearms, unfortunately that is not the norm. We stay away from gun ranges. I suggest a slow transition so you can monitor their development and ability to practice safe handling skills.

Comment

BB @ 3yo
                              .22 for Christmas @ 5yo. Killed 2 Turkey following spring
                              .223 wylde @7yo several hogs and first 2 deer
                              6.5 G now 9. Can outshoot 95% of my family. Lol
                              Attached Files

Comment

When they are big enough to keep the barrel out of the dirt.

My son teaching his son. My favorite picture.

Same young man earlier this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X