No announcement yet.

When to draw your weapon? - Road Rage Incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You did fine, your life was never in danger. You probably should've got out of the vehicle and beat his *** though.

Comment

Anybody cuts me off and advances on my vehicle my hand would be on my weapon and eyes glued to his hands. I think you handled it well but as stated before, that guys going to do that to the wrong guy eventually. Glad you’re safe.

Comment

One day - complain about millennials not “solving issues the old fashioned way anymore”
        Next day - all talk about going straight for their weapon in a confrontation

Lol love tbh

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          You drove away with your life and without taking one. You did great. Homeboy will pull that on the wrong person one day and have his head turned into a canoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree based on my training. I would say be prepared and practiced to draw in your vehicle. The moment that he enters your vehicle and is actually a threat. Things change. If you are safe in your vehicle. Notify LE and stay put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I totally agree with curtintex. I think have your gun in your lap would have been a good move. Had he broken the window you may have been justified and certainly if he reached in your vehicle to grab you. You made the right decision.

Comment

My hat is off to you sir. The restraint you shown was incredible.

Comment

You both left alive, you handled it well. I keep mine in my cup holder/console area while driving , when I feel like i may need it I put my hand on it or grab and put in my lap. No time for fumbling around for before you need it. Think of it like a seat belt, there is no way you can get it on fast enough if you wait till you're sure you need it.

Comment

That is definitely one of those situations where you move your firearm into a position of easy access...

I don't think you had a valid use of deadly force threat until he breaks your window to gain entry into the car.

You handled the situation exactly how you should have. Yelling back or getting out of the car would've been viewed as escalating the situation, a big no-no.

Comment

If I had my gun in my hand I would be afraid for shooting out of reflex when he punch the windows. The lap looks like the right answer. Good for you for getting out of that situation with out and incident.

Comment

I had almost this exact thing happen in Houston many years ago. The only difference is the guy kept banging on my window and would not leave. I had already drawn my weapon and had it in my lap when he approached. I remained calm and cracked the window and asked him if there was a problem while making my 1911 clearly visible. His response at that point was immediate disengagement and returning to his car.

You probably showed more restraint that I would have as I would have been ready the minute that person approached my vehicle. That said I did as you did and remained as calm as possible so as not to escalate.

I also immediately called the police and gave them the description and license plate.

Comment

You will always second guess yourself plain and simple. I would recommend getting a gun magnet to mount under your steering wheel or the side of your console. This allows you to have your concealed weapon at the ready without having to fight the seatbelt and holster while seated. This also makes it easier for a police officer to see it if you get pulled over and declare your firearm and puts you both at ease in multiple situations IMO.

Comment

There are always stories about bad shoots but rarely stories about people that STOPPED violence with a gun.
                          I had a similar experience. Was alone in a parking lot and a guy pulled up about a foot behind my back bumper blocking me in. There was not another car on the whole lot and it immediately got my attention. He was selling some kind of fake or stolen crap. We had a pretty unpleasant conversation which developed into him opening the door and threatening me. I was standing in the opened door of my truck so I drew on him and gave him a clear warning that if got out I’d shoot him. He kept on threatening but wouldn’t get out. I took out my phone and started taking pictures (I have a great picture of him hauling butt shooting me the bird). I called the Sherif to tell them about the guy and give them the plates. Turns out we had a Travis County sheriff killed in his back yard about an hour before. The plates indicated the vehicle was stolen. The dispatcher said they were sending officers out. At that time I told her I had drawn my weapon.

She said, “Mr. Dosrobles, did that man threaten you?” I said yes ma’am, he said said he was going to get out and beat my hinney. She said, and I quote,” you probably would have saved us a lot of time if you’d have gone ahead and shot him.”

I second guess how I handled it because I was pretty blunt when he pulled up, but ultimately he was a bad guy and I’m a semi old man.

Comment

You did the right thing!
                            A couple years ago I had a car driving about 15-20 mph in front of me on a 50mph road. It was dark and I had no where to pass them. I was close behind, but in no way was I tailgating them. We came to a 4 way intersection with a stop sign. When they stopped the driver gets out hollering and walking to me. Immediately set my gun in my lap, soon after the passenger side opened and that person was halfway out the vehicle. I thought it was gonna get western real quick. About as fast as it started, it ended. They both for what ever reason got back in the car and left. First and only time I thought I was gonna have to use my pistol to defend myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                              I was in a pretty similar situation about 6 years ago.
                              I reached into the center console while the dude was screaming at me and had my pistol in my hand. He never even realized I went for it.
                              The difference was his punch to my window broke it. I instantly drew on him, but didn’t shoot. His tone changed very quickly and he laid on his stomach until the cops showed up.
                              Ended up very apologetic and paid for the damages. I spent the entire time waiting for the cops lecturing him (both of us in our mid 20s at the time) about how lucky he was not to be dead and to not be aggressive with people in the middle of the night.
                              This happened a few years ago here in Houston on Westeimer, under graduate lab worker died with a big hole in him. The DA didn't/wouldn't charge the shooter, said don't go breaking peoples windows out. Now, the sorry DA in Houston will I'm sure charge you.

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post

She said, “Mr. Dosrobles, did that man threaten you?” I said yes ma’am, he said said he was going to get out and beat my hinney. She said, and I quote,” you probably would have saved us a lot of time if you’d have gone ahead and shot him.”

I second guess how I handled it because I was pretty blunt when he pulled up, but ultimately he was a bad guy and I’m a semi old man.
                                That might have saved them a lot of time but not you in the long run. Sounds like you handled it well.

Comment

Working...
                                X