Planting oats in Sutton County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting oats in Sutton County

Anyone here have any experience with small plots of oats out here in west Texas ? Thinking of some small .5- 1 acre plots on our place. I’m thinking of a spring and fall plots. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted oats the first year that I had my field prepared. It was some land that a wildfire came through and I had it grubbed and raked. I planted in late September. The oats grew like crazy and were about eight to ten inches tall when the first hard freeze killed them.
    Small grain do not tolerate heat well. Do some reading and I think that you will find that temperatures in the mid-eighties will kill the plant. Sutton County gets that much heat usually by mid-April. Some years I've seen well over 100 degree highs by mid-month. I don't think that you will even get a spring plot established before the heat hits.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
      I planted oats the first year that I had my field prepared. It was some land that a wildfire came through and I had it grubbed and raked. I planted in late September. The oats grew like crazy and were about eight to ten inches tall when the first hard freeze killed them.
      Small grain do not tolerate heat well. Do some reading and I think that you will find that temperatures in the mid-eighties will kill the plant. Sutton County gets that much heat usually by mid-April. Some years I've seen well over 100 degree highs by mid-month. I don't think that you will even get a spring plot established before the heat hits.

How much did you plant? Did you really on rainfall to water the field?

Comment

Check out Turner's spring food plot mix

Comment

We did it successfully many times. We always planted later - early Nov mostly. When the rain hits, they will be on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
            We did it successfully many times. We always planted later - early Nov mostly. When the rain hits, they will be on fire.

Did y’all have pretty big fields? Do you have any pictures?

Comment

Working...
            X