No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a feeling one of my cameras was tampered with this morning. Image seemed blocked like someone put something over lens and in one minute it went from 55deg to 62deg.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinInATX View Post
      Have a feeling one of my cameras was tampered with this morning. Image seemed blocked like someone put something over lens and in one minute it went from 55deg to 62deg.

There’s no telling out there. Some people are just jerks. A couple months ago I had a camera do that then it started sending me over 100 pics a day. Finally saw it was a broken branch hanging down right in front of the camera.

Send me your contact info. Maybe we can compare notes out there if we’re there at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
        Guess I’ll have to go buy my own stand and get it set up now. Lol

Lol!

I had only shot 1 doe from that area. But it’s a good bedding area.

Ragweed/bloodweed wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be out there.

Seen lots of deer/pig sign. Should be a great yr for y’all out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
          Lol!

I had only shot 1 doe from that area. But it’s a good bedding area.

Ragweed/bloodweed wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be out there.

Seen lots of deer/pig sign. Should be a great yr for y’all out there!

Surprisingly enough, out of the 6 cameras we have out there the last pig we got a picture of was a month or so ago when it had been raining out there. Since then we’ve only had a couple does here and there along with coyotes and bobcats. I’m really hoping for some more rain out there. On the plus side we won’t be getting carried away by the mosquitoes.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinInATX View Post
            Been out scouting and moved my cameras around. Leaving next Tuesday for Elk opener in CO. Will hit ground again when I get back.
            How was you elk hunt? I went for elk up in Northerne Alberta (Sept 14-Sept 22) and saw lots of bulls, no cows but a friend shot a cow about 6 miles away from any roads or trails. Was fun getting it out... My best shot was on a pipeline but he was standing behind a tank and I did not see him, when I did it was a risky shot.

Lots of moose as well, mulies and whites. Bears as well! One came behind me and got scared of my stinky sweat...

Comment

Is this a drawn hunt?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Marcuswellbe View Post
                Is this a drawn hunt?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

No it is not.

Comment

Did anyone make it out for the opener today? Unfortunately I can’t make it until Wednesday

Comment

Sure did. The temps were great but that wind sure was swirling a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
                      Sure did. The temps were great but that wind sure was swirling a lot.

Did you see anything?

Comment

Saw some pigs about 70 yards out then jumped a small buck on my way out. Other than that nothing the whole day out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
                          Did anyone make it out for the opener today? Unfortunately I can’t make it until Wednesday
                          I was out there opening day 4:30ish to dark. I was at the nails creek location. I didn't see anything. I was posted up on the ground near some (old) hog activity. There was hunting pressure to my left, front, and right. I found this out once everyone started heading in. There were at least 5 vehicles at the southwest entry point.

Comment

Originally posted by LoganAY View Post
                            I was out there opening day 4:30ish to dark. I was at the nails creek location. I didn't see anything. I was posted up on the ground near some (old) hog activity. There was hunting pressure to my left, front, and right. I found this out once everyone started heading in. There were at least 5 vehicles at the southwest entry point.

That sounds about right.

Comment

I made it out there over the weekend. I had a shot at at doe and spike but there were deer behind them so I was being patient and waiting. I moved my foot an inch and the spike made me, so the deer all hauled ***. Saw a few more deer. All the animals I had shots at were yearlings. Only tried to shoot the spike because he snorted at me. Little ****. Somebody will kill Him because he is a spike and hangs out by the road. I Probably saw 10 deer in all. Definitely opening weekend + good weather + beginner’s luck. I hadn’t really hunted Somerville in a few years. My 3 hunting buddies saw ~5 deer in total, or didn’t tell me what they really saw. Either way is par for the course out there.

I hunted all over the place. Tried to find places that hadn’t been scented up. Etc. opening morning had a guy come in a little late and set up at dawn, then he made noise all day. He had a metal container with a screw lid. The joys of public hunts.

I hear more stories about people’s stuff getting jacked with at Somerville than anywhere else. Stands and cameras always getting stolen. One camera was chained to a tree and someone jabbed the camera out of it with a screwdriver. Hopefully that disease stays in Somerville.

Comment

Long time lurker on here, been hunting Somerville the past 3yrs.

This was my first time going opening weekend. I normally saddle hunt, but found an old ladder stand when scouting last month; got real scarred when @Hoggwild said he finally collected his old stand that had a bunch of sign near it, but turns out the stand I found was still there.

Heard a deer snorting right at first light, never did see it tho. Came to full draw on a pig, but it was just past 40yds and didn’t feel good for me. Heard some rattling/sparring, but thinking that was a hunter. Heard lots of other pigs in the thicket and decided to finally get down and chase them. We (could see the pigs in there, but no shot) went back and forth a few times and I gave up, it was 10am now.

Went back to the stand to pack up and I heard a bunch of pigs crashing thru the brush. 6-10 ran out and stopped at 30yds, could only see the top of backs in the high grass. Settled the pin and sent one. Thwack, pop! Watched it scatter away and knocked another one because I was going to pursue quickly since I couldn’t see how well the shot was. Then I heard a bunch more commotion, turned 90deg and another 6-10 ran out and stopped. Settled the pin and sent another one. Thwack, pop!

Took me a while to find them, both double lunged and pass thrus, but no blood trail. Both sows, one was good size, 80-90lbs, the other was big, maybe 130-140lbs.
                                Not the deer I set out for, but had been unsuccessful out there the past 2 years, and those were the first animals I took with the bow, first while solo hunting, and first on public in TX.

Comment

Working...
                                X