Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default 2021 Crappie Thread!!!

Been busy chasing ducks and deer so I’m way behind in getting this one going but my hunting is over now! Should fish 4-5 days in the next week and a half! If your after a big fish now is the time!

Get em boys!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Ran a trip on LOP today. I had a young fellow catch a couple of hammers
CAT tournament shou7be great this year
Attachment 2
Attached Images

Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Congrats to that young man! That's a hoss!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
Keith
Administrator

I'm glad to see the new 2021 crappie thread, just in time for my new Livescope. I installed it yesterday using separate 20 volt cordless drill battery to the GPSMAP 8612xsv and another one for the Livescope black box. For anyone asking if Garmin will be putting out a new and improved version of Livescope, now I can guarantee that they will. It should be any day now, after I made my purchase. LOL
Now that I have it 90% installed, the weather forecast is calling for snow and freezing temperatures today. I guess I could still go to try it out, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
sandbill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm glad to see the new 2021 crappie thread, just in time for my new Livescope. I installed it yesterday using separate 20 volt cordless drill battery to the GPSMAP 8612xsv and another one for the Livescope black box. For anyone asking if Garmin will be putting out a new and improved version of Livescope, now I can guarantee that they will. It should be any day now, after I made my purchase. LOL
Now that I have it 90% installed, the weather forecast is calling for snow and freezing temperatures today. I guess I could still go to try it out, we'll see.

That Livescope is some super cool technology! I've only experienced it on one fishing outing (a VERY successful outing), but good golly, I swear, I could make out the whiskers on a large catfish 20 ft deep! Enjoy that game changing and expensive ice chest-filling tool!

Last edited by sandbill; 01-10-2021 at 07:23 AM.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Keith
Administrator

I've gone with 2 guides with Livescope and it's amazing technology. I'm hoping I can catch Crappie with it.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
dirtybay
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I have always been a bay fisherman. Do you all know a good crappie guide at sam Rayburn or toldeo bend? Would love to take my wife out fishing for some crappie. Never done it before. We have a deer camp near toledo we can stay at reason I mentioned those lakes. I heard they are good eating.
dirtybay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Keith, I've always had great success crappie fishing when it's snowing.

Course, that was inside a fishing barge.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
Slew
Pope & Young

My old jig man passed away yesterday. Got the cal this morning. RIP Pappy. He’s been in bad shape for years and I wasn’t surprised when I got the call. Hate to hear it but hopefully him and Bob are sacking em up today. I’m about done with the birds! The crappie better hide!!

Slew
Old 01-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

I got the oil

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Quote:
I've gone with 2 guides with Livescope and it's amazing technology. I'm hoping I can catch Crappie with it.

According to some you can’t catch crappie without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #12
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Keith, I've always had great success crappie fishing when it's snowing.

Course, that was inside a fishing barge.
I just called my father-in-law and he doesn't want to go fishing this afternoon. My boys don't want to go today.

Attached Images

Old 01-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:

Nice. Let's see pics of your setup. My biggest advice is do not stare at the screen too long. Just cause you see them doesn't mean they will bite. Best move quickly to find aggressive fish. That 12 inch screen ought a look great!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #14
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Nice. Let's see pics of your setup. My biggest advice is do not stare at the screen too long. Just cause you see them doesn't mean they will bite. Best move quickly to find aggressive fish. That 12 inch screen ought a look great!

LOL, you saw my old boat at the TBH crappie get together on Lake Fork in 2019. My electronics are worth about 5 times what my boat is worth. LOL I rigged it up redneck style with 2X4 and 2X6 lumber, to avoid drilling any holes in the fiberglass. I wired them up with 20 volt DeWalt batteries to power the 8612 and one for the Livescope. I plan to upgrade my boat this year, in fact I have been looking, but used boats are outrageous right now.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
LOL, you saw my old boat at the TBH crappie get together on Lake Fork in 2019. My electronics are worth about 5 times what my boat is worth. LOL I rigged it up redneck style with 2X4 and 2X6 lumber, to avoid drilling any holes in the fiberglass. I wired them up with 20 volt DeWalt batteries to power the 8612 and one for the Livescope. I plan to upgrade my boat this year, in fact I have been looking, but used boats are outrageous right now.

Keith, could you tell me more about the Dewalt 20v battery hookups? I've never heard of that. But could see where the 12v lithium would make since they are used on yaks.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-11-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #16
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Tell me more about the Dewalt battery hookups. I've never heard of that. But see where the lithium would make since they are used on yaks. But think they are on 12v .

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
I've been reading about it and a lot of guys are using them. My Garmin 8612 can use 10 volts to 32 volts DC. The Livescope is the same, however not all units are the same, so verify this before hooking it up. The 20 volt lithium batteries from power tools are smaller, take much less room and weigh a fraction of a deep cycle battery. They also work with near 100% power until they need recharged. When a 12 bolt battery dropped below about 11 volts, you start having issues with livescope. When a fully charged 12 volt battery starts out so close to the minimum voltage allowed, you don't have to drop much before issues could arise from low voltage. I am going to use 5 or 6 amp hour Dewalt batteries initially because I already have the batteries. However, I already plan to upgrade to larger 12.0 amp hour Milwaukee batteries. You should be able to get just about an hour use for each amp hour.
I bought group 31 AGM deep cycle batteries from Sam's Club for my trolling motor. Those things are HEAVY. I am guessing they weigh about 80 pounds each. Avoiding adding another 80 pounds to the boat would be nice.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:18 AM   #17
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I was wondering about wireing the Dewalt batteries up. I have the 20v-5ah for my 20 XR set.

And I've been doing a lot of research on Lithium deep cycle for the boat. I'm going to buy one for my troller as soon as this 31 Duracell deep cycle wet cell gives up the ghost. I've had it over 5 years now. Should be any day now. But it just don't wanna die.

If your running a 12v on your troller, Dakota Lythium has a deep cycle 160Ah now. Prices have been coming down on the deep cycle lithiums.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #18
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
I've been reading about it and a lot of guys are using them. My Garmin 8612 can use 10 volts to 32 volts DC. The Livescope is the same, however not all units are the same, so verify this before hooking it up. The 20 volt lithium batteries from power tools are smaller, take much less room and weigh a fraction of a deep cycle battery. They also work with near 100% power until they need recharged. When a 12 bolt battery dropped below about 11 volts, you start having issues with livescope. When a fully charged 12 volt battery starts out so close to the minimum voltage allowed, you don't have to drop much before issues could arise from low voltage. I am going to use 5 or 6 amp hour Dewalt batteries initially because I already have the batteries. However, I already plan to upgrade to larger 12.0 amp hour Milwaukee batteries. You should be able to get just about an hour use for each amp hour.
I bought group 31 AGM deep cycle batteries from Sam's Club for my trolling motor. Those things are HEAVY. I am guessing they weigh about 80 pounds each. Avoiding adding another 80 pounds to the boat would be nice.

can you explain how you physically connect the battery. assume you don't modify the battery. do you alter the battery contacts?
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #19
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

My goal is to hit a 3lb crappie for the wall this year. I yanked up a 3.2lb'er same time last year and got cocky thinking I could beat that one. So far I am struggling to get anything over 2lbs.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #20
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
can you explain how you physically connect the battery. assume you don't modify the battery. do you alter the battery contacts?
There are several brands, but something like these.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #21
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
My goal is to hit a 3lb crappie for the wall this year. I yanked up a 3.2lb'er same time last year and got cocky thinking I could beat that one. So far I am struggling to get anything over 2lbs.
3.2 pounds! You might not beat that the rest of your life. Where did you catch it?

Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #22
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
I was wondering about wireing the Dewalt batteries up. I have the 20v-5ah for my 20 XR set.

And I've been doing a lot of research on Lithium deep cycle for the boat. I'm going to buy one for my troller as soon as this 31 Duracell deep cycle wet cell gives up the ghost. I've had it over 5 years now. Should be any day now. But it just don't wanna die.

If your running a 12v on your troller, Dakota Lythium has a deep cycle 160Ah now. Prices have been coming down on the deep cycle lithiums.
I'm going to run these Duracell 31 AGM batteries until they die. Hopefully that will be in 5 years, like yours. By then, the lithium batteries should be much cheaper. Heck, they might even have solid state batteries by then.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #23
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Any tips on when the spawn occurs this year will be greatly appreciated. Ill be fishing Livingston for the first time with fly. Catch them in the shallows with a small streamer. I have a sinking tip line ready.
Ætheling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #24
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybay View Post
I have always been a bay fisherman. Do you all know a good crappie guide at sam Rayburn or toldeo bend? Would love to take my wife out fishing for some crappie. Never done it before. We have a deer camp near toledo we can stay at reason I mentioned those lakes. I heard they are good eating.
Kevin Shivers
TCR² is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #25
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
3.2 pounds! You might not beat that the rest of your life. Where did you catch it?

In my neighborhood retention pond! I kept hitting 2.1 -2.7lbers and said when I hit 3 its going on the wall. Then I hit a 3.2 and got greedy
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #26
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Here you go. I still have one Dewalt battery to wire up, I'll going to the shop to do that in a few minutes.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #27
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here you go. I still have one Dewalt battery to wire up, I'll going to the shop to do that in a few minutes.

Look at you go Keith

Old 01-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #28
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

I have the same pole fomy transducer I wonder if they have one a little longer

Old 01-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #29
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

... hey SFK... where you at?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #30
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
... hey SFK... where you at?

Saltwater: Very corrosive
Freshwater: It's not!

Saltwater: Can give you a virus that will kill you
Freshwater: No such thing

Saltwater: All the fish have big FN teeth
Freshwater: Small at best

Saltwater: You feel really nasty at the end of the day
Freshwater: Like a fresh spring day

Saltwater: When you Wade fish you have to shuffle your feet are you could get stabbed with a fish
Freshwater: This doesn't apply to freshwater

I hope this helps change your mind

Old 01-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #31
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Saltwater: Very corrosive
Freshwater: It's not!

Saltwater: Can give you a virus that will kill you
Freshwater: No such thing

Saltwater: All the fish have big FN teeth
Freshwater: Small at best

Saltwater: You feel really nasty at the end of the day
Freshwater: Like a fresh spring day

Saltwater: When you Wade fish you have to shuffle your feet are you could get stabbed with a fish
Freshwater: This doesn't apply to freshwater

I hope this helps change your mind

Lol well played but...

Saltwater = bigger boats
Bigger boats= bigger boobies

I mean after all how often to you see chick that ain't 300lbs laid out on a pontoon

And that trumps everything really

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #32
duckmanep
Pope & Young

in to learn from the pros again this year. planning on sinking some brush in my neighborhood lake soon. I have had good luck doing it in the past because the lake has very little natural cover. problem is, all these fancy electronics people run now, the days of having secret brush piles that are honey holes are over, haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #33
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

What would be a go-to minnow-replacement lure for a farm pond that is overrun with crappie? We usually fish my mom's place with minnows but she told me that the local bait shop went out of business.
I need to get 80-100 out of there.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #34
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLongball View Post
What would be a go-to minnow-replacement lure for a farm pond that is overrun with crappie? We usually fish my mom's place with minnows but she told me that the local bait shop went out of business.
I'll bring all of the minnow lures and be happy to help you out with that problem. Im not far away.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #35
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I'll bring all of the minnow lures and be happy to help you out with that problem. Im not far away.
Haha she's actually in Alto but I'm hoping that three days and 6 fishermen will be enough. The pond is only 2-3 acres and they don't ever take out enough of them throughout the year.
In the winter though, once you find one, you seem to find them all. Maybe that's normal? I'm usually a saltwater fisherman so I've been learning freshwater over the last few years.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #36
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Haha she's actually in Alto but I'm hoping that three days and 6 fishermen will be enough. The pond is only 2-3 acres and they don't ever take out enough of them throughout the year.
In the winter though, once you find one, you seem to find them all. Maybe that's normal? I'm usually a saltwater fisherman so I've been learning freshwater over the last few years.
I like the 2" triple ripple that Bass Pro makes in the pumpkin/chartruese assuming the pond is clear to moderately clear water. If it is dirty I would go with black and blue. 1/16 or 1/8 oz black jig head either way. Cheap and easy to get. You may have to buy the tails online as they dont always have that color in stock. Good luck and let me know if you need a professional to tag along. JK.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #37
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Lol well played but...

Saltwater = bigger boats

I mean after all how often to you see chick that ain't 300lbs laid out on a pontoon

Old 01-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #38
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Any small jig 16th Oz or so black and chartreuse would be a great start

Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #39
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lol well played but...

Saltwater = bigger boats

Apparently you have not been to Conroe you are wrong my friend

Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #40
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post

Freshwater water pool

Old 01-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #41
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Freshwater water pool

How you know?
Old 01-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #42
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Oh and yall have crabs

Old 01-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #43
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nockenut, Texas

Quote:
Lol well played but...

Saltwater = bigger boats

Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Apparently you have not been to Conroe you are wrong my friend

Watch out chris Hansen will want to talk to you.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #45
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:

Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #46
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:

Them Broaddus gala won’t turn him in! They like the attention more than his old azz does!! He might get something saltwater won’t scrub off though! Bring one more boobies if y’all gonna goon up this thread with ocean perch talk!
Old 01-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #47
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Them Broaddus gala won’t turn him in! They like the attention more than his old azz does!! He might get something saltwater won’t scrub off though! Bring one more boobies if y’all gonna goon up this thread with ocean perch talk!
T he kind of girls that give you the clap so bad they called it Applause

Old 01-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #48
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:

Who is this Chris guy you spoke of

Old 01-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #49
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

They come over here spreading hate. They're jealous of how organized we are in the crappie thread.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #50
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Oh I goggles ol Chris now I know