• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following!

Comment

Awesome bucks! Following

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
        I wonder how long it would take to tunnel from our place to yours??

Great deer!!
        Get your shovel

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
          I do not care about score as much as look. I just don't want to shoot him if there is a chance of pedicle damage. He obviously is capable of throwing a decent amount of bone. But more then likely he will still be ugly next year and then get whacked. We named him Barnacle Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Good name

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
            Looks great.
            Any plans to use DMP to help get the most out of your better bucks?
            Yes. As a matter of fact we are about to start trying to go through the process to do a DMP pen. We are going to target our best buck and 20 does. Technically we could do 2 and shoot every doe we see outside of the pens each season but that sounds like a lot of expense and work. Ha. I think we are going to do 1 and see how it goes and we can always add one in the future if we wish.

Comment

... let me show my ignorance

DMP pen?

Edit: deer managment pen?

Designated man pen...

Some otheters but not pg13

Last edited by catslayer; 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

WOW!! Nice pics.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                  Get your shovel
                  I think we'll be there just in time for those fellas to turn 6 1/2!! We need to do a Max's lunch this season!! I can't remember his handle on here, but a fellow TBH'er PM'd me last year and turned out he hunts the north end of our ranch (with the boomsticks... ) We could have a heckuva happy hour!

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

DMP pen?

Designated man pen...

Comment

Looking good! I like the younger buck with the solid white neck stripe too....

Comment

Ty

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

DMP pen?

Designated man pen...

Deer Management Pen

You can have a pen (minimum of 5 acres) and place up to 20 does and 1 buck in the pen. I think they have to all be in there by sometime in September and you can't release them until after the end of the season (I think). I am not up to speed on all of the regulations yet. We do have a pen in place and just need to get it certified. You then get a helicopter and he will net your 20 does and "breeder buck". That way you are ensuring that your buck of choice is breeding all 20 does as opposed to just the 2-4 that he would breed out on the ranch. Much cheaper then having deer in a pen year round and paying for feed, having to check on your deer year round etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                            I think we'll be there just in time for those fellas to turn 6 1/2!! We need to do a Max's lunch this season!! I can't remember his handle on here, but a fellow TBH'er PM'd me last year and turned out he hunts the north end of our ranch (with the boomsticks... ) We could have a heckuva happy hour!
                            Yep. We need to do it. I haven't been getting to get down there as much as I would like lately but plan on making several trips this fall. It is just hard with a 2 year old and a newborn to get away from Houston. Luckily my dad is down there almost year round and he forwards the pictures to us often. Deer are changing a good bit from week to week right now. Fun summer ahead, just need some rain!!!

Comment

DMP pens work great. Go through all your pics and find a couple of your best deer and have the heli guys target them as choices to put in the pen. Friend I work with in the panhandle has been doing DMP for a few years now and the results are incredible for size and overall numbers.

Comment

Bucks look really great for their age. DMP is a great way to go. I would look at using my best 3 yr olds. Ranch I used to manage in La Salle started DMP in 2004 and they have continued now. They use a lot of pens on a larger ranch. It has done amazing things with the over all herd quality and upper end buck numbers. They will only re-use a buck the next year if his antler growth improves after using him as a DMP buck. If he falls off they do not use him again.

Comment

Working...
                                X