No announcement yet.

Would you pay extra for use of thermal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some rich weekend hunter will pay for the cool factor and bragging rights. Make them qualify with Xbow to make sure they are on target. Before they are wounding animals...

Comment

if I have never done it. I would be in for it

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        Maybe, but really more to try out a different thermal more than the Xbow thing.
        Me too

Comment

I think that zen...something or other tried it on his youtube channel and it broke the crossbow rail within very, very few shots fired from the crossbow.

Comment

I don't know if the thermal on that crossbow could handle the twang. Seems like it would tear that thermal apart.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
              I was just wondering how to use thermal with my longbow. Need some kind of hologram that you can shoot through.
              Pay for a thermal crossbow hunt?, may be a market for it. Would take some marketing.
              Just a single 18650, hooked to a camera about the size of nickel, that bluetooths to a VR headset, that has sight picture synchronized to your bows shot path .
              Wearing a headset while bowhunting might be weird, but I bet eventually someone will come up with something pretty similar.
              Technology is already there for it.

OP, if you're close to one of the big Metroplexs, you could probably make a killing.
              Hell let em rent a rifle, a bow, and a tannerite bomb they can set out .

Comment

I’m sure folks would

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  I don't know if the thermal on that crossbow could handle the twang. Seems like it would tear that thermal apart.

Actually, we’ve had a bunch of guys lately at the ranch hunting with crossbows with thermals that have me the idea. They’ve been slaying ‘em. That’s what gave me the idea. Lots of guys can’t afford something like a thermal. So, I thought maybe I’d front the money to get one or two and slowly pay it off, or at least offset the cost, by renting it out to some of our hunters. Seems like it’d be fun for them and a chance for guys that have never had the opportunity to look through or use some to check it out. I’d love to have some but I still can’t justify it solely for my predator management work. The couple of companies I spoke with said their units would withstand a crossbow, no problem; and there’s at least a 3 year warranty on them.

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post

OP, if you're close to one of the big Metroplexs, you could probably make a killing.

Hell let em rent a rifle, a bow, and a tannerite bomb they can set out .

I’m not real close but I manage a good size hunting ranch that’s archery only. I see plenty of places offering this type of thing for gun hunts but we don’t do gun hunts. Just trying to provide something I thought might be fun and different to guys that aren’t so close-minded that they can’t see the fun in doing something different - like some folks around here. Not trying to make a killing actually. I’m just trying to find a way to get some that I can use for my own work that my wife won’t throw a fit about. Lol! Predator control doesn’t pay as good as it used to and if I didn’t enjoy it so much I’d get out of it; so spending $6k+ on thermal just doesn’t make sense for me. Not unless I can find a way to recoup some of the cost. This seemed like a way to do something cool for other folks AND help scratch my own itch. If I made a profit that’d be great but I’d be happy (and so would my wife) if I recouped 75% of my investment. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would not but if you have already had several bring their own then there might be a market.

I would buy one to start with and if demand was high enough buy a second

Comment

It’s 2020 folks. What’s with the animosity towards Xbow hunters? It’s legal during archery season and widely accepted nation-wide with ever-increasing acceptance. I thought we hashed all this out here on TBH years ago. I haven’t been around in a while and I come back to find this nonsense has reared it’s ugly head again? Hunter vs hunter just like pre-archery season days? Very sad. Especially here., of all places.

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                      Some rich weekend hunter will pay for the cool factor and bragging rights. Make them qualify with Xbow to make sure they are on target. Before they are wounding animals...

A. We don’t get ANY rich hunters at the ranch. Our clients are blue collar or less and rich guys don’t want to work as hard as you have to where I work.

B. I’m talking about a rental price that anybody who can afford to hunt could afford to rent. I’m neither rich or interested in bragging but being able to extend my hunting time regardless of the moon cycle and light conditions, and maximize my use of that time DOES interest me. So does increasing my odds of success and the opportunity to offer that option to my hunters - something most of my clientele couldn’t afford on their own.

C. Should I make all our bowhunters qualify with their bows first - especially trad bowhunters? If I did, more than 50% of the hunters who hunt with us wouldn’t be allowed to hunt. I’ll say this for a xbow hunters - they have a higher success rate/lower wounding rate than any other group on the ranch. If you saw how many animals I have to go find for hunters and how many animals we find dead from wounding by our 100% bowhunting clientele you’d be absolutely shocked. I don’t think there anyone on this site or anywhere in Texas (besides maybe a game warden) that sees more and works with more bowhunters in the field than I do. It’s going to ruffle feathers but trad bowhunters are the WORST about wounding animals, statistically speaking, in our experience. So, should they all be subjected to accuracy testing? Besides, an target test is useless. I’ve had more target archers and competitive shooters who brag about their shooting and CAN shoot some amazing groups, would game left and right. Same is true in the gun world. Shooting targets and shooting game are totally different. The statement you made is the same one used by gun hunters when we were trying to get an archery season in Texas. It was ridiculous then and it’s just as ridiculous, arrogant and pompous now. With all due respect. [emoji6][emoji106]

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      If it's an archery hunt why is there a crossbow involved? [emoji15]

Gary

Seriously? Same thing the trad guys said about compounds. # huntervshunter #judgemental

Comment

Could of shortened that reply with “my butt hurt”

Comment

Also could've recognized the tongue in cheek with the emoji added.[emoji849]

Gary

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              I’d kill a hog with a pitchfork and a carbide lamp........but I wouldn’t pay a dime for it. I bet some folks would though, and that’s ok too.

It’s awesome that you have land to hunt for free but most hunters have to pay for access to hunt somewhere. Lease, package hunt, day lease, etc.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              Not really. If I am there to bow hunt, I will show up with my bow, to rifle hunt, I will be there with a rifle.

As others said, there may be some city folks who have never hunted before that don't want to buy a crossbow for a one time experience. I suspect they would be interested, but I bet they aren't on TBH.

So, we actually get a LOT of TBH guys on the ranch I manage that come with crossbows.

The reason I thought about offering the thermal and crossbow as a package is... 1. Rather than having to remove a sight from the hunter’s own crossbow and mount the thermal and then have to sight it in (especially just for 1-2 nights), I thought providing them with a complete setup that’s already ready to go would be easier. I wouldn’t add anything to the cost for the crossbow because I have some good ones laying around that I got for free anyway. There are some companies that already rent thermal units but they start at $250 per weekend and you have to deal with the mailing both ways plus the hassle of mounting and sighting in. It seemed like a lot less hassle to have a complete setup on-hand AND I was planning on a lot lower price and single day rental. 2. If a guy is coming to hunt with his bow for a few days and wants to go out for 1 night, just to play with something totally different as a lark, this would allow him/her to do it easily and affordable.

I’m not interested in trying to find some city-slicker, with no hunting experience, who finds an ad on the internet and wants to go kill a hog. I’m talking about an offering that I can add to the menu as a sort of add-on to hunters that’re coming with their own gear anyway. If a guy wanted to go through swapping out his own site for a thermal that’d be fine also. I just thought that if I was at a ranch hunting with a crossbow and had the choice, I’d just rent the complete package for a night rather than reconfigure my own. Especially if it weren’t more expensive than just renting the thermal.

There used to be lots of Xbow hunters out in the open on TBH after the initial squabbles before and immediately after they were approved for archery season. The bashing had stopped. I haven’t been around in a minute and it’s sad to see that, apparently, latest ‘new’ crowd has (once again) changed the tone and brought back the holier-than-thou attitude that’s driven the crossbow hunters back underground. It’s sickening to watch hunting rot itself from the inside out out with the ‘hunter vs hunter,’ elitism nonsense. The anti-hunting movement can just sit back and watch and laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                                Could of shortened that reply with “my butt hurt”

Maybe. Just like you could have used the back button or not replied to something that doesn’t have anything to do with you and which doesn’t add anything. Maybe you found something to get butt hurt about yourself?[emoji6][emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                                X