Does anyone use oats .....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone use oats .....?

Does anyone use oats to plant for deer? I was told to get some oats and just spread them around (not necessary to plant) and some will grow.

What brand/type could I use?

I used to use them for my food plots. but if you dont disk the soil. then use whirl type fertilizer broadcast to plant them, and use a piece of chain link fence with a couple cross ties on top as a drag to cover seed, the birds will eat all the seed before it germinates. but deer love it and any whole oat horse feed works great. you cannot get cover to deep or they wont germinate. so you cannot redisk to cover. I had no luck just rying to put out seed without some prep and drag cover

Comment

I plant Buck Forage Oats (sendero seed co.) with great success.
      I had a half bag left over and tossed it on the ground last weekend. I doubt it'll take but the birds are loving it.

Comment

I just buy whole oats at feed store. Don't get crimped lol. They will grow fine

Comment

They love it. Our fields are covered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer love em, can’t go wrong

Comment

I tried the “throw and grow” method once with oats. I had good germination, but the deer started hammering them as soon as they sprouted. They had not developed a good enough root system, they they just pulled them all up by the root, instead of browsing the tops.

Comment

It looks like you are located in North Central Texas… You might have better luck with wheat. I’ve tried both in the past and wheat does much better. Oats will freeze out.

Comment

Your way late. Plant oats late sept/early oct.

tons of info on this site. Search function will net hours of reading!

Comment

Every year but we either drill it in or disc it in. If it lays there too long critters and birds will demolish it.

Rye grass will work better for throw and grow and don't let anyone tell you deer wont eat because they will. Been planting it for years and they tear it up.

and yes as said too late for oats or any winter crop at this point now you might want look at milo or cowpeas but you will have to work it in.

Comment

If you have sandy bare soil you could get by with out plowing. You would still need to pull some type of drag over the seed to cover them a little.

Anything else it will be better to plow.

Comment

I just planted a winter plot in Brown county. I figure I have a few months before hot weather and worth it. Mix was wheat, oats, barley, tritical mix. Turner seeds.
                        Put it out with a spreader along with fertilizer and mowed the old grass over it.
                        Really just an experiment. I will try and keep up with the results.

BP

Comment

Coronado oats is what I have had the most success with but needs planted in sept October not now. Peas or soybeans now

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Coronado oats is what I have had the most success with but needs planted in sept October not now. Peas or soybeans now
                            I don’t know about peas but soil temp needs to be at least 65* for soybeans to germinate

Comment

I usually don’t plant spring plots until the ground temps reach 60 degrees almost every day. Wheat would probably germinate as long as we’re getting a little warmer weather, but it will soon be unattractive to deer when new browse becomes available. I can always tell each year when deer no longer prefer my wheat because it gets taller every day. Right now it looks like a well maintained lawn, but that will change about the middle or end of March depending on temps.

Comment

Working...
                              X