Wildlife friendly barbed wire fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife friendly barbed wire fence

We have 53 acres with about 4000' of old fence not including road frontage and no cows. Neighbor does have cattle and wants to replace the fence with a 5 strand 52" top wire construction. We have plenty of deer I'm afraid it's a little too high for the doe and fawns to get through. what do think the dimensions should be for a deer friendly fence as far as bottom & top wire? Will a 52" jump deter some deer.

I've seen yearlings jump a fence that tall. I've also seen fawns and does step through or crawl under them. Granted that should be a tight 5 strand at only 52". I think smaller fawns could still step through or maybe crawl under.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-07-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

You’re fine. They will go under, through and over.

Comment

There is no such thing as friendly barb wire. As for spacing here is a good starting point and guide

Click image for larger version

Name:	fence.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	24608194

Comment

i'm thinking smooth bottom wire @ 18" from ground

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSSS View Post
            I wouldn't do this. Cattle will figure that out and lift the fence up

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              I wouldn't do this. Cattle will figure that out and lift the fence up
              and in a hurry. A barbed wire fence is fine for wildlife.

-john

Comment

Our rancher has a 7 wire 66” fence on one of our boundary fences. Does, fawns n small bucks go right under easy/peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSSS View Post
                  That’d probably be easier on his fence in the long run if there are a bunch of deer. I have some 5 strand stretches at my house that the deer are hard on squeezing through all the time. I bet most will go under if you leave that bottom wire high.

If the guys cows aren’t starving, they’re not gonna fool with getting through a fence of any sort.

Comment

Your deer will be fine. Not been in the country long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      That’d probably be easier on his fence in the long run if there are a bunch of deer. I have some 5 strand stretches at my house that the deer are hard on squeezing through all the time. I bet most will go under if you leave that bottom wire high.

If the guys cows aren’t starving, they’re not gonna fool with getting through a fence of any sort.
                      I want some of those cows. Ours would have a field day and they aren't starving. And bull would have that fence messed up even quicker

Comment

I want some of those cows. Ours would have a field day and they aren't starving. And bull would have that fence messed up even quicker
                        Yep my youngest works for a horse ranch. She feeds roughly 70 horses a day. They are tick fat but they have a slick wired fence across the front of the place. Wish I had a dollar for every time I get a call saying "Dad can you come help me catch this blasted horse......" They just walk through it when they want to.

-john

Comment

There is no such thing as friendly barb wire. As for spacing here is a good starting point and guide

[ATTACH]991167[/ATTACH]
                          I gotta agree with the 1st part Brandon.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

If the bottom wire is 14-18” from the ground then I wouldn’t care. We have some 7-9 wire fences and deer still jump them and go under no problem. Maybe catch 1 every few years and that’s over 6 miles of perimeter fencing.

Comment

Barb wire? They will go under it

Comment

Working...
                              X