Pasture Roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture Roller

Since I got so much good feedback on my judge my welds thread. I thought I would jump into welding head first. Good a good price on 20 in 14 foot pipe. The steel is 1/2 inch thick. I tried several places to buy end caps with no luck. But did find a place that plasma cuts to specs. So I ordered 2 plates with a 1 1/2 inch hole cut in the middle of each plate, an a 3/4 inch 2 inches from the edge cut in 1 plate. This is so you can add water. Got 2, 20 foot by 3/8 thick square tube. Had a few other pieces at home to complete.

This is the tube.

I’ll update when I had more to share

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6452.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	25202806

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stan R; 01-20-2020, 02:28 PM.

This ought to be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      This ought to be good!
      Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Rwc

Comment

I would make that into a BBQ pit and just drag an old railroad track over the pasture to smooth it.

Comment

In for the build. Gonna be a cool project.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
            I would make that into a BBQ pit and just drag an old railroad track over the pasture to smooth it.
            I am planting Bermuda seed that needs to have a very firm seed bed.

I have a cultipacker but it will not work for what I want.

The railroad track will not work.

Already have a smoker.

Comment

Hmmm I planted Bermuda in my pastures and never used a roller ?

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                me too, I would broadcast the bermuda seed and cultipack it.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post

Glad it worked out for you.

I'm following instructions on seed bed preparation from Pennington seed, Coop, local feed store, and the guy that cuts my hay. Besides I have wanted to make one a for long time. The seed cost about $175 for 25 pounds. I'll be using about 10 lbs per acres

Comment

Mix that seed with a little sand too if you want to " cut " it and make it go further. Once they start settling in it will spread out nice and thick. Good luck with your pasture. Take pics and let us join that adventure too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Mix that seed with a little sand too if you want to " cut " it and make it go further. Once they start settling in it will spread out nice and thick. Good luck with your pasture. Take pics and let us join that adventure too.
                      Basically 3 ways to do it.

Use a 3 point spreader mix the seed with a lot of sand and fertilizer.

Mix the seed with the fertilizer at the feed store and put out with their big fertilizer spreader.

Use a no till seed drill and that will bury the seed at 1/8 inch max.

Done lots of research...
                      Last edited by Stan R; 01-20-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Following along, need a roller myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                          Following along, need a roller myself.
                          I'm getting the pipe to make another one just in case this one turns out good. You just do not see them for sale. Not something you use a lot but when needed it is the only thing that works.

Comment

I’ve had excellent luck with your first method. I always mixed it up well with fertilizer, made sure I choked that gap in the spreader down to where I had to go over the area at least three times so I got it pretty even. Hard to spread as black pepper but it can be done. Any method you listed will work. Your roller will work too if you get your planting area smooth enough. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              I’ve had excellent luck with your first method. I always mixed it up well with fertilizer, made sure I choked that gap in the spreader down to where I had to go over the area at least three times so I got it pretty even. Hard to spread as black pepper but it can be done. Any method you listed will work. Your roller will work too if you get your planting area smooth enough. Good luck !

I will disc it at least 2 times.. I have a 6 ft but borrowing a 10 feed.

The roller with no water will weight over 1500 lbs. Not sure how much water a 20 inch tub 14 feet long will hold. So it should make it pretty smooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X