No announcement yet.

Lying about Draw Length *sorta*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My feeling has been to years that most archers shoot a to long draw for them especially compound shooters.

Comment

Glad I started at 27.375" draw from my longbow.

Comment

I'm amazed at how long some of yall's draw lengths are shooting traditional equipment. I must have some weird scrunched up form or something because I shoot a 30.5 inch draw on my compound, but feel like I'm over stretching to get my longbow or recurve either one past 27.5". I'm sure some of yall are big guys with long arms but I'm 6-3 with a 6-5 wing span and I just can't seem to get comfortable with a long draw on trad equipment. I would say its because of the heavy-ish poundage I shoot (67 & 74 lbs on my recurves) but my long bows are 46 and 54lbs and my draw length doesn't change on them either.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
          I'm amazed at how long some of yall's draw lengths are shooting traditional equipment. I must have some weird scrunched up form or something because I shoot a 30.5 inch draw on my compound, but feel like I'm over stretching to get my longbow or recurve either one past 27.5". I'm sure some of yall are big guys with long arms but I'm 6-3 with a 6-5 wing span and I just can't seem to get comfortable with a long draw on trad equipment. I would say its because of the heavy-ish poundage I shoot (67 & 74 lbs on my recurves) but my long bows are 46 and 54lbs and my draw length doesn't change on them either.
          I stand 6'5", with an average for height wingspan. I gained 3-4" of draw length when I learned to draw with my back muscles instead of my arms... everything since then has come from making improvements to my alignment. Keeping shoulder blades down and tight to the spine was an eye opener. Then learning not to pull through the clicker with my shoulder was what dropped an inch back off the draw.

I'd guess there's something off with your form for sure. Your wingspan should at least be sniffing 30" draw in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
            I was shooting wrong form all these years, started shooting off the end of my nose and lost a 1/2” went from 30” to 29-1/2” shoot a lot better now. Probably the most Consistent. and the best I’ve ever group.
            X2

Comment

I still think Howard Hill was the most perfect archer ever. He not only shot excellent but he did it with healthy form, shooting very heavy bows until very late in his life. He was 6'4" and had a 28" draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                I still think Howard Hill was the most perfect archer ever. He not only shot excellent but he did it with healthy form, shooting very heavy bows until very late in his life. He was 6'4" and had a 28" draw.
                Mechanics are absolutely critical if you want a long career shooting trad!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                  Mechanics are absolutely critical if you want a long career shooting trad!
                  Goes for most things that we use our bodies for.
                  Misuse it consistently in any manor, and it will break down quicker.

Gary

Comment

Shew, it’s a good thing Dan and Jared make short draw bows too!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                      I stand 6'5", with an average for height wingspan.
                      I'm 6'7" and my draw is 32", you sure yours isn't 31.5"

Comment

Working...
                      X