No announcement yet.

Custom action Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely not looking for a bottom or entry level action and like the idea of the switch lug. That route the TL3 would be smart for different bolt heads for different calibers I’d guess.

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Axiom is nice but the OP is looking for a little better quality. Upside to the defiance is it is all integral. 1 piece action with lug and rail. One piece bolt. NOT saying the axiom isn’t good in any way. Just 2 different animals.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
      Definitely not looking for a bottom or entry level action and like the idea of the switch lug. That route the TL3 would be smart for different bolt heads for different calibers I’d guess.
      Agreed. That’s why I jumped all over the one I bought on here!

Comment

Kelbly's hands down!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
          Pretty much all of the Defiance lineup being made now can take pre-fits. It's hard to find many actions introduced in the past 2 years that are not pre-fit capable. I have not seen Lone Peak mentioned, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better action that can handle the dust/grit that a hunting rig will see, yet still maintain butter smooth operation and give up nothing in the precision side of things...........if you can live with a push feed design.
          Yep I’ve heard some great things about the new Lone Peak actions, if I was doing a build from the ground up I would chosen the LP.

Comment

Ill have to check out the few additions guys have recommended. Trying not to muddy the water to much with different actions. Seems im trying to keep with what the pros use most often.

Comment

Lone peak arms actions look sweet

Comment

Kinda narrowed it down to lone peak, defiance Ruckus, TL3.
                Really want a super smooth action

Comment

I just ordered a ruckus from Alamo. can't wait to give it a try

Comment

Haven’t ran my TL3 in the sand or anything yet, but it’s not as smooth as my deviant. Granted the deviant has 800 rounds or so on it. The bolt fitment is certainly tighter on the defiance I have than the bighorn. I haven’t messed with a lone peak. I handled a pierce TI and didn’t like it. Curious to hear your thoughts on the ruckus and what you choose!

If weight savings matters, remember to factor in that the defiance has an integral rail and lug. A lot of the titanium action weights do not include that. Once you factor those in, there isn’t a lot of weight savings. My deviant hunter was within an ounce or two of the pierce if I recall.

Another thing to note. If you’re ordering a stock this won’t matter as you can tell them what you have. But my defiance won’t just fit a standard 700 inlet perfectly. They make several different tang options and port sizes if you call and request it. I’m not sure on the ruckus or lone peak.

Comment

If you were in the valley I would let you feel my action to see what you thought... that didn’t sound right... I did tons of research before I bought my custom rifle. The majority said Impact is the smoothest action out there plus it’s pretty polite in the PRS scene right now. That was right before the Lone Peak action came out. I’m sure IP won’t have their long actions ready for awhile. Whatever you choose out of your list I’m sure you’ll be happy with.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Seems im trying to keep with what the pros use most often.
                        Are you building a hunting rifle, or a competition long range rifle for ELR or PRS ?

The actions used in PRS are designed to accept high capacity DBM’s and extremely fast bolt cycling. If you purchase a PRS dedicated action, make sure its finished in DLC or black nitride coated. If building a hunting rifle and you want super smoooooth, additional options include a Borden Timberline, BAT, and Kelbly Kodiak. All 3 are made by companies that have been around for 40+ yrs and specialize is world class benchrest accuracy.

If you’re dead set on the 3 actions you listed, I’d order a Ruckus from Glenn at Defiance and have have it DLC coated.

Here’s an example of my Kelbly Kodiak in .243

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          Are you building a hunting rifle, or a competition long range rifle for ELR or PRS ?

The actions used in PRS are designed to accept high capacity DBM’s and extremely fast bolt cycling. If you purchase a PRS dedicated action, make sure its finished in DLC or black nitride coated. If building a hunting rifle and you want super smoooooth, additional options include a Borden Timberline, BAT, and Kelbly Kodiak. All 3 are made by companies that have been around for 40+ yrs and specialize is world class benchrest accuracy.

If you’re dead set on the 3 actions you listed, I’d order a Ruckus from Glenn at Defiance and have have it DLC coated.

Here’s an example of my Kelbly Kodiak in .243

Sweet rifle^^

Comment

I ended up putting in a order for a TL3 long action cut for AICS mags with a standard bolt face. Plan is to barrel it with a 6.5 Sherman or 6.5x280ai.
                            Got it standard Stainless Steel bead blasted for either painting or leaving it same color to match barrel. Liked the easy change of bolt heads and rails for future barrel changes.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Custom action Recommendations?

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                                Sweet rifle^^

That’s a better looking fence post[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X