No til drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No til drill

hey gang - We are in the market for a no til drill for food plots to plant peas, wheat, rye v, joint vetch and soybeans. we plant 30 acres twice a yr. we have a 70 hp mahindra tractor. can y'all recommend a no til drill seeder? someone mentioned the JD 71? any specifics I should make sure I get... thx!! Scott

Just make sure the drill is shorter than your gates are wide.

Comment

Make sure you match the drill to the hp of your tractor. A small seed box along with the big seed box is a must. I have an 8’ Great Plans that works great.

And yes , make sure it will go thru your gates. Lol

Comment

good points guys. has anyone tried a yetter 71 before? the 4 row one i was considering. would it be good for peas, soybeans, join tvetch and peas? thx! Scott

Comment

A 71 JD or Yetter is actually a row planter and not a drill. They will either have finger meters or different sized plates for seed sizes. If you have finger meters you could get bean cups for those seeds you mentioned. Otherwise you will be better off with the type that uses seed plates. You can add row opener attachments to to the front of the openers to do no till planting. A seed drill will he needed for your wheat and other type seeds. Those drills will be pricey for no till drilling and the older ones won't do the job in no till applications

Comment

If you can find a good used one
            TYE 2010 would be what you want. They are not cheep but are good no till drills

Comment

If you go "wildlife management" on your property and talk to your local biologist, they can help you find a no-till-drill to borrow more or less for free as long as you are doing something that is geared toward conservation. When I was contemplating a large re-seed to try to shore up erosion, my local TPWD biologist said he'd get me together with the resources to borrow one so before you spend the money see if you can borrow one once a year...

Comment

Working...
              X