Protein feeding results???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeding results???

Looking to hear from guys who feed protein on LF leases.

As many other have stated after feeding protein for several years. We have noticed gains and body size and antler mass. No substantial gains in tine length resulting in higher scoring bucks.

Age is always a factor but what are you guys seeing from your supplemental feeding programs?

How many feeders per acre? How big is your place? Free choice or timed?

Comment

We have 463 acres low fence with no pressure on us or around us, we have been feeding 1 free choice feeder and 1 timed feeder year around for 4 years now. I feed about 500#s free choice per week plus the timed feeder. Just last year our mature bucks made a huge jump in mass and this year they added mass and width mainly.

Comment

3 2000# free choice going last 4 years. Nothing spectacular yet but not sure how place was hunted before us. Plenty of 120” 8s and 10s but nothing really great.... yet

Comment

Feeding for last 10 years. 2 free choice on 600 acres, 6 timed feeders. feeding 9-10k lbs from Jan-Aug. Overall the gains have been noticeable as we have more 120 class bucks walking around, better mass and body weight of all deer on property.

Just feel like we have reached a plateau, have not had substantial gains in last 3-4 years.

Comment

I think there is only 'so much' protein can do. There is only "so much" genetic potential in a deer, there is only "so much" native browse, and the deer can only get so old. It seems to me there is a natural plateau that would be reached. Supplemental feed and letting deer age only help the deer reach their potential. Beyond that, you have to hope for timely rains.

I don't think antler growth would be on a geometric progression from deer generation to generation. Not in low fence conditions anyway.

Comment

I highly doubt people actually know what feeding protein does to their bucks. There are simply too many variables. People without vast knowledge who stated feeding last year would think it did wonders in San Saba area..But wouldn't think or consider the last 12-14 months had record rainfall (over time) and was greener than I can remember in the 80's.

That said, I feed protein mainly because they love it. If you help the good natural browse your deer shouldn't need protein though.

Comment

I honestly believe feeding protein on a place has just as much positive impact on bringing in deer, as it does actual antlers. I think it can help the overall herd a little bit as far as antler growth, but it’s not a grow big deer quick scheme by any means.

Your genetics as well as the pressure of your land as well as your neighbors have a way bigger impact on your deer herd than protein. I like feeding protein because I think you get bucks from all around from people who aren’t. That means a Less likely chance that the 4 YO deer you’re trying to pass gets killed on another property. They love the stuff.

As far as antlers go, I think it’s behind a lot of other factors, which the most important being your lease mates and your neighbors and what y’all are willing to let get mature.

Age>Genetics>Conditions>Protein. That’s just my opinion
                Last edited by TheHammer; 01-15-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Tagged for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've wondered about the true benefits of protein, because you always here the stories of the big ole buck who doesn't hit a feeder. So I would think, well how did he get so big if he isn't hitting the protein? What I have come up with in my mind is the younger bucks / does are hitting the protein leaving more natural browse for the old big boys. Therefore, you need your natural browse to be up to par.

Comment

I feel like you wont see the true results of your supplemental feeding until about the 5th year, the bucks that have had the benefits from birth (mother's milk) are getting a jump start that may not occur naturally. Just my opinion, I am no expert by any means just a guy that likes watching and hunting them.

I'll also 2d TheHammer's second paragraph.

PS, Hi Misty, Stella is doing fantastic! Hope all is well with you! Tim

Comment

My neighbor feeds protein for the last 6 or 7 years. He has 150 acres and I really appreciate it.
                        After 20 plus years of letting bucks walk they are finally getting bigger

Comment

We have 3 free choice feeders on 565 feeding All Stock Pellets year round. WE have noticed a difference in body mass almost instantly on Bucks and does. This is one of the bucks at two of the feeders. He's by far the best buck we've seen in years down there. I hope he made it another year.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by T/Chmr View Post
                            I feel like you wont see the true results of your supplemental feeding until about the 5th year, the bucks that have had the benefits from birth (mother's milk) are getting a jump start that may not occur naturally. Just my opinion, I am no expert by any means just a guy that likes watching and hunting them.

I'll also 2d TheHammer's second paragraph.

PS, Hi Misty, Stella is doing fantastic! Hope all is well with you! Tim

Hey Tim that’s great to hear!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

To add to what has been mentioned about the natural browse Deer will go to natural browse before they will protein, my deer have almost quit the protein since the acorns have dropped, I killed a deer Saturday that walked past the protein feeder. His stomach was full of acorns.

Comment

Working...
                              X