Car issue/what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
    Something very similar happened to our secretary’s jeep Cherokee and also a neighbor down my street with Cherokee. Both was a 2017 or newer, not exactly sure what year. But in reality, the car would burn oil and when it would shut off was because of the low oil sensor. In around 1,000 miles it would do this. It happened a couple times to our neighbor and they got rid of theirs. Our secretary had ext warranty on hers and she played the dealership fix game. Each time they got it in they would change the oil and then do some other bogus thing like change he shifter or ignition or other crap. It happened to her a lot over 6 months. I would keep an eye on this as a possible problem.
    Been reading that a bunch. The 3 fixes people are claiming the dealership do but resolve nothing include that one. Seeing dealerships say “you need to top off the oil every 500-1000 miles” or “this sensor needs replaced” and “a quick reset for the auto start should solve the issue” but none of it solves anything it seems.

If the outcome was a dash light coming on because of this that’s one thing but the entire vehicle just shutting off at 70 mph is a completely different ball game.

Comment

As much as I hate to say this, (based on my experience with dealer service departments) your best bet is to trade it in, and get something else.

The service department will be no help, and the dealer is not going to do anything.

Comment

I went round and round with 2 different dealerships on my last truck. They threw part after part at it, and couldnt fix the problem. Eventually ended up with the “engineering” department telling me it was a normal engine characteristic. Even though there was a TSB issued for the exact problem, on multiple models that had the same engine. They kept it in and out of the shop just long enough that the lemon law couldn’t apply anymore.

Went on for about 8 months, finally broke down and traded that POS in on something else. I took a loss, which sucked big time. But after seeing a couple of the invoices from when they “repaired” it, there was no way I was letting that warranty expire while I owned it.

Good luck, but what you are reading on yours is exactly what I was reading on mine. Worst part is... my dealership acknowledged the issue, and was tying to make it right. The manufacturer decided that there was nothing wrong with it, after they sent an “engineer” out to look at it. Dealer was trying to get me a whole new motor, manufacturer slapped the breaks on that one real fast.

It’s absolutely ridiculous. Seems like a 50/50 chance you end up with a heaping pile, no matter what brand you buy. But the prices on all vehicles just keep going up.
        Last edited by lungbuster1985; 12-19-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

A friend of mine has a jeep and it has had sensor problems out the wazoo. Now it's another one in the transmission throwing codes. Dealer wants $1200 to fix it.
          He probably won't ever own another Jeep.

Comment

He something similar happen to a 2005 Freightliner truck, it would loose power then die on the road. Same thing months in a shop and throwing parts at it, until I got fed up with it. I pulled in to the service dept. and grabbed a tech with a laptop and told him to ride with me. It took a couple of hours and it finally died going down the road, turns out it was a bad sensor in the coolant tank. $35.00 later and it has never done it again, sobif it is an active code and not a stored one they may never fix it.

Comment

My wife had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and we had the same issues. The dealer claimed to have fixed it with a sensor issue and reset the computer, however, after two times at the dealer it happened a third time when my wife had our infant daughter in the car with her. Luckily she was on a country road, but it died right in the middle of a left hand turn, the power steering got really tight and she was barely able to steer it into the ditch on the road she was turning to. It started up right afterwards, she drove it to her parents house about a mile away, then I went and picked it up the next day and we got rid of it and got her into something else. I wouldn't drive another Jeep if it was given to me. I've heard of this happening on too many of their vehicles.

Comment

Sell / Trade it now . Whatever loss you end up taking will be worth it compared to all the things that could come into play when it happens again .

Comment

Originally posted by marceco View Post
                  Sell / Trade it now . Whatever loss you end up taking will be worth it compared to all the things that could come into play when it happens again .
                  Believe this is the route we will be going...

Unless I am mistaken there is not a better time in the stinking year to wheel and deal then the last 10 days in December...

Mitigate the loss and not jeopardize her safety

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                    Believe this is the route we will be going...

Unless I am mistaken there is not a better time in the stinking year to wheel and deal then the last 10 days in December...

Mitigate the loss and not jeopardize her safety
                    You’re probably very wise thinking this. She went round and round with them and I believe she got a lawyer and needed up getting some sort of payoff deal and is now driving a Nissan. But I would hate to know exactly all she went through on it. She is a very persistent person on things like that. The “best” offer they will try to give you will be something to sweeten the deal and keep you in a fiat/dodge/Chrystler product.

Comment

Working...
                    X