Brisket mixed in deer grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Todd View Post
    Save your money weigh your deer go to local meat market and add 10-15 % beef fat. Tell your butcher you need 5-10 lbs or what ever beef fat. You can buy it for about 0.50 per pound add that to deer when you grind it. Ben doing it this way for 20 years
    Same here. I just call HEB first thing in the morning and tell them to save me some beef fat. Sometimes I have to call several days in advance.

Everyone adding whole briskets to your venison...might as well just buy ground beef!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      I'd recommend simply using 10% beef tallow. A lot cheaper than brisket and it adds just the right amount of binder to use the burger for "burgers". If you want a beef burger, buy it from the store. Adding brisket takes everything away from venison.....
      This is what we do. And I ask for the good beef fat when they are trimming prime ribeyes.

Makes the venison burger taste a little like a ribeye burger..

We add more, around 15%, when making burger patties. Freeze them on cookie sheets and it makes for super easy meals all year.

5-10% fat when making plain ground (not patties).

I never understood why one would add brisket when good beef fat tastes so much better and is way cheaper.

Comment

Randy: I'm going to have some extra knee grind I can let you have if I can get an express headed your way.

Comment

I always look in the bargain bin at Randalls in the meat section. I look to see what is discounted. I got a 3# and a 3.5# chuck roast for 50% off which came out to 1.49 a pound. Sometimes I get other cuts less that 2.00 a pound. I take it home vac seal it until I am ready to grind deer burgers and I add the beef about 80-20 I also ask if they any beef fat and I will buy that too.

Comment

We do a 70/30 mix. We trim the hard fat off the brisket, grind each meat separately and then mix the first grind together then we grind the mix and vacuum seal the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              This is what we do. And I ask for the good beef fat when they are trimming prime ribeyes.

Makes the venison burger taste a little like a ribeye burger..

We add more, around 15%, when making burger patties. Freeze them on cookie sheets and it makes for super easy meals all year.

5-10% fat when making plain ground (not patties).

I never understood why one would add brisket when good beef fat tastes so much better and is way cheaper.
              We add brisket because its also extra meat and boosts the amount of hamburger we can put in the freezer!

Comment

I just absolutely love the flavor that the brisket adds to the venison, have done the bacon as well but like the brisket best.

Comment

I do whole brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustled Again View Post
                    Randy: I'm going to have some extra knee grind I can let you have if I can get an express headed your way.
                    Ha, ha, ha!!! I’m too big of a wuss to eat that, Matt!

Comment

Bypass all the expense of brisket. Ask butcher at HEB or Krogers to save you a few pounds of beef fat from trimming I usually add 10% but have added up to 15%. Makes the beat burger and they sell it for next to nothing.

Comment

If I was worried about the expense I would not be deer hunting, deer meat probably runs about 50 bucks a pound, lol. The beef talo is a good way to go as well.

Comment

Cubed up 60# of deer meat tonight. Pops is bringing out a couple briskets tomorrow. Hopefully some JD too. [emoji846]

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                            Bypass all the expense of brisket. Ask butcher at HEB or Krogers to save you a few pounds of beef fat from trimming I usually add 10% but have added up to 15%. Makes the beat burger and they sell it for next to nothing.

How do you evenly distribute that little amount of fat in a batch of deer meat? Dice it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              How do you evenly distribute that little amount of fat in a batch of deer meat? Dice it up?
                              We cut the fat into strips and pieces. add 2-3 pieces of deer and some fat. Grind on coarse. The run everything through again to make sure it's mixed good.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                                I wondered the same thing. I just wanted to keep it simple. That's why I just used 73/27% hamburger added 50/50. Easier to mix and extends the volume by twice. Of course, the taste test will determine if I did it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X