Used gun sales tax??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used gun sales tax??

I found a used o/u shotgun I would like to purchase.. the gun is for sale at Cole’s gunsmith at the Maine location. The lady told me the gun is on consiment and If I would like to purchase that she would send it to the San Antonio location. Perfect

Question is would I have to pay sales tax on this purchase or no?

Probably not but it really depends on the biz & would simply ask...gunbroker recently added tax like eBay / amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by creekbottom02 View Post
      I found a used o/u shotgun I would like to purchase.. the gun is for sale at Cole’s gunsmith at the Maine location. The lady told me the gun is on consiment and If I would like to purchase that she would send it to the San Antonio location. Perfect

Question is would I have to pay sales tax on this purchase or no?
      If the San Antonio store charges you sales tax, find a new one. Transfer fee is a Service shouldn't be taxed.

Unless the Maine business does a huge amount of business with Texas I don't believe there should be sales tax, I forget what that # is.

Edit: if the store is same chain and they just mailed down here and you purchase from here, you would get sales tax but NO transfer fee. See which is cheaper and pay for in tax free in main + transfer fee here, or pay for here and tax w/out transfer

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by chwoodall; 03-18-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Gunbroker recently started charging sales tax AND a 1% fee for their service.

Saw a nice rifle that had a BIN for $750 .... calculated tax, shipping, and additional fees which would have cost me another $185 I decided it wasn't worth it.

The days of getting real good deals from online classified ads and auctions is a thing of the past.

Ebay is the absolute worst as their selling fees aren't worth it to me any more.

Comment

GB charges a 1% fee of the sale to the buyer??

If they keep gouging the seller I'm gonna be forced to up commissions on consignments...it's crazy what people are paying for firearms right now. I'll put 2-3 on my watch list per week & wow.

Comment

Paul,

pretty sure GB charges 3% to the gun seller, the buyer pays 1% to GB for some stupid service fee.

Comment

They've gone up & it's based on the final price...I didn't know about the buyer fee!! Jerks.

Comment

The Gunbroker taxes and fees aren’t relevant to the OP but also not GB’s fault. They’ve been labeled a marketplace facilitator by the government and most states are now requiring facilitators to collect and remit. Not sure how their “compliance” fee comes into play but I’m sure they had to hire accountants.

As for the initial question, sounds like they’re shipping to one of their sister locations in Texas. I’d that’s the case yes you’d need to pay sales tax when you buy it. Even if they shipped it to an FFL of your choice and not their sister store you would still pay sales tax as they have a nexus in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                X