Too young to witness a kill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too young to witness a kill?

I had a rather upsetting conversation with some family and friends last night, and would appreciate some advice.

My son Samuel is 4 years, 3 months old and we’re heading down to Texas for the holidays (we live in NY but my in-laws are down there). I booked a day hunt (for hogs and/or deer) and will be taking my boy for the afternoon hunt only. In fact, we’ll only hunt for an hour or two or whenever he’s ready to leave.

Without going in to too much detail of the discussion, here’s my question:

Is my boy too young to witness a kill?

I know he’s fine to be outdoors, sit in a stand, etc., etc. In fact, we’ve been practicing all of the above. He's seen me come home with severed deer heads and we've gutted fish and squirels together and even made venison sausage together.

But, do I risk potentially turning him off to hunting as a direct result of his seeing an animal alive one moment and essentially snuffed out the next? Should I wait a year or two or more to actually let him see a kill? My worst fear is that he would be shaken by experiencing up close and personal the life/death experience, and forever have a negative sentiment towards hunting.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice on this subject.

My daughter was 6 when she watched me bow-shoot a hog. I didn't bother her in the least. She has literally grown up around deer being butchered; my in-laws used to do a little deer processing as a side line.
    I also point out that those goofy movies like "Open Season" and the like are far from reality.

Comment

Forgot to add, she has also pulled the heads off of quite a few doves, as has her younger sister.

Comment

My grandfather carried me out at the age of 5 for the 1st time and he killed a doe,at 6 i shot my 1st deer with him....
        I sure miss "Bobby Ned Isbell",he passed in 97'....I truly cherish him teaching me hunting for food and enjoying the great outdoors....
        Last edited by Bowwiz; 12-17-2006, 04:00 PM. Reason: lack of typin skilz

Comment

I took my son hunting for the first time at the exact same age. He watched me bring lots of animals home to clean and process before I said he could go. It was my intent to let him see my excitment see some blood see that we eat the animals before he went. All the wile I was feeding him with the stories of the hunt, and before too long he was begging me to take him when I left, and was just as excited as I was when I came home with something. I wanted him really want to go before I took him. NOW he wants me to kill everything that walks out. I think I can fix that. I'm not sure if this helps, but I will say it's not too young if THEY are ready. I'm sure you are. Hear are his first and second hunts ever. I think this is why he wants me to bag an animal every time because we are 2-4 on bagging an animal, and 4-4 on seeing animals. Even though his ldp smile needs work (like alot of TBH'rs) he was very excited both times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	predator89.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	24718560

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt.gif
Views:	5
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	23817701

Comment

If Your Son Has Witnessed, You Bringing Game Home And Cleaning It, He's Probbly Ready To Witness A Hunt And Kill. But You Have To Decide.

Comment

Thats bottom pic is so kool Chris!
              Does Samuel semi-understand the cycle of life yet?
              I myself can only remember events back to the age of 5 years old.It seems then,at that age is when i remember, learning about life and death.
              I can see where this subject could become "a upsetting conversation with some family and friends last night" Sorry you had to deal with it...
              I wish i could give you advice,but i myself do not have kids.
              Good Luck Samuel and have Fun!

Comment

My son was 4 years and 1 month when I first took him in the stand. MY whole family hunts as does my wife's and he has grown up around hunting. I had taken him dove hunting a few months prior and he had no problem popping off heads and even plucking feathers. Having said that we were on a rifle hunt helping take out some does and when the time came for me to grab my rifle he did not want me to shoot due to it being a "momma deer." I sat the rifle down and we talked awhile about it and he became okay with shooting her. After I did He wanted to run out there and look at her but I made him wait. He later field dressed her with me and even watched as my Dad I skinned out the does we took that evening. He asks EVERY time now I leave for the woods to hunt.

I definitely think you will kow in your heart if the childs ready and there is definitely nothing wrong wondering how they will react to the first kill. Tough decision for sure. I was more than willing to sat that gun down and simply watch her had my boy not convinced me he was ready and willing.

Good Luck with your decision.

Comment

Killing animals for meat used to be just part of everyday life. I doubt this question would have been asked 50 years ago. You need to raise your child how you see fit. For my children I chose for them to witness hunting at a very early age so they would never see hunting as anything other than a normal activity that normal people do.

Comment

All kids, like adults are a little different about things. In my opinion only, if YOU as his father feel He is honestly ready, then He probally is.Who should know better than you as his parent.All 5 of my kids were sitting on stand with me from age 3 on.We harvested our share of does and hogs and a few small bucks.My oldest daughter just graduated E.T.B.U. summa com laude 12-16-06 [saturday!] with a Bachelor of Arts degree in human relations, her main goal in life is to reach/help under privilaged and emotionally scared children, her opinion is the same as mine.She says "tell the guy his son is lucky to have a dad who cares enuff to share the time outdoors with him."My daughter does not hunt but enjoys fishing and will eat more backstrap than you can fry! So N.Y. Bh. good luck on the hunt and enjoy the time with your son, it'll be a memory that will last a life time kill or not.If you feel he's ready, knock one down if the oppertunity comes. OH, and have a Very Merry CHRISTMAS!

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      Killing animals for meat used to be just part of everyday life. I doubt this question would have been asked 50 years ago..
                      Thats so true-Times have changed!

Comment

Ive been in a deer blind and seen things meet there demise since i was a little over 1 they would just caryy me to the blind. It hasnt effect me none.

Comment

I dont think that there is any age that is to young for a kid to see that. It is a way of life for some people and if it is any constilation, i was in the woods with my uncle and my dad and my papa when i was only a couple of years old. I guess at the time, i really didnt know what was going on untill i got older. I think that kids will grow to respect it and know about it more if they see it at an early age. I know that my kids will be exposed to it at a very early age.

Comment

My little girls have been watching hunts and kills since they were 2-3 yrs old...My oldest is 7 and can't wait to get her first deer...she didn't get turned off by it. The only thing I would say is pay attention to their reaction, if they seem sqimish about it then don't force it on them at that age. (My oldest helped me gut a deer at 4yrs old...she talked how cool it was for months)

chris...that bottom pic it the coolest pic I have ever seen!!!

Comment

Kids that grow up on the farms see animals die for food for us from day one. One day you are feeding the chickens, rabbits and cows and the next you are butchering them for dinner. If he isn't ready by 4 chamces are he won't be ready by 6, 8, 10 or 12.

JMO

Comment

Working...
                              X