side-hustle idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
    Don’t rent a paint spray rig , someone like my uncles would spray oil based and then ruin it by not cleaning it, IMO maintenance would be a nightmare
    Funny you mention that. The airless paint sprayer will be here tomorrow, because I'm obsessed with using the right tool. My HVLP wouldn't work.

Comment

I need a deep socket 7/32 to change out the gas spuds in a natural gas stove to C3H8. Thank you sir…

Comment

Just don’t rent pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
          Don’t rent a paint spray rig , someone like my uncles would spray oil based and then ruin it by not cleaning it, IMO maintenance would be a nightmare
          What's wrong with oil based paint?

Comment

Do an actual trade that you can't be sued over so easily. Create an S corp or an LLC treated as an S corp and be the sole shareholder and get very favorable tax breaks.

Comment

if you go with it, I wonder what your opinion of your friends and neighbors will be 6 months later

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                What's wrong with oil based paint?
                Nothing when you clean the airless with mineral spirits, only most folks are to lazy or don’t want to take the time to do a proper job
                Or will just forfeit the deposit

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  I've noticed lately I have a bit of an obsession with tools. I hate not having the right tool for the job and I hate when a task takes longer and is sloppier because I don't have the tool I need. So I go out and buy a tool and use it once, then hold on to it forever for "the next time I need it."

I thought about setting up a free/cheap website where I can "rent" my tools out to folks in my neighborhood or surrounding areas. I live in a suburb so there's quite a few people. It's just a side hustle and I'm really just trying to pay for the tools themselves, so I can undercut home depot or other tool rental places.

The downside is these are MY tools and I know no one in the city treats things like they own it when they borrow something. Because of this, I would have a deposit that is the cost of the tool and it would be mandatory. If it's returned in the same condition, they get the deposit back. I would structure it in a way so you could rent it for four hours, a day, a few days, a week, etc.

What do you guys think? Worth doing?
                  If they are your tools, and want to be able to actually use your tools for what they were intended for, the way they are supposed to work. I would not rent them out. I have been in tool and equipment rental places many times. just standing there waiting for my turn to rent something. I look around at the tools laying on the floor or shelves and think, how did someone manage to do that, or WTH happened to that.

The last two times I went in to rent equipment, I stared at their pile of obviously dead chainsaws. You don't have to ask, if they work, there is no question they are dead. They are just piled up.

If you look around a tool rental company, at their tools. It is very obvious, people who rent tools do not use them for their intended purposes, abuse the tools, misuse the tools, many seem like someone went to a lot of effort to make sure the tool was well past destroyed. I can guess some people were trying to get out of work, if the rented tool was broken, then they could sit around and do nothing while on the clock. Others were probably completely clueless. I am sure many of the tools, were literally ran over, accidently or intentionally, either way, way beyond dead tool.

I used to get POed, when someone borrowed a tool then loaned that tool to someone else and then that person loaned the tool to someone else. Then I needed the tool and went to the person I loaned it to, to find out they gave it to someone else and then that person gave it to someone else. At that point, I would make an announcement, that whoever had my F'ing tool needed to bring it back very quick before I started process of elimination. Then I would sometimes find a fourth person had whatever tool I had loaned out. That will really **** you off, that people will just let someone else use something, that was trusted to them to use, then on and on.
                  Then one time, after I went off, seriously blew my top, stated the tool that I loaned out had better get returned very quickly. I had people returning tools to me, that were not my tools. So I had to make a second announcement, that if anyone was missing a tool to check the pile on my work bench.

I DON'T LOAN OUT MY TOOLS!!! I have made that mistake too many times.

Comment

Lots of really good advice here. Appreciate everyone. I think I will pass on this idea for now. I like my tools in the condition they are in. This may be a great idea for someone else though!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are buying tools that you are only going to use one time, just keep the receipt and take it back when you are done. When the store ask what is wrong with it, just say you didn’t need it after all.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                        If you are buying tools that you are only going to use one time, just keep the receipt and take it back when you are done. When the store ask what is wrong with it, just say you didn’t need it after all.
                        You think the store owner took you to raise or what?

Comment

This way of thinking is what is wrong in today’s society

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                            This way of thinking is what is wrong in today’s society
                            Kinda broad brush there don’t ya think!!
                            Wheel bearing went out on my truck. Didn’t have the socket that I needed. Went to O’Rileys and bought one, along with a new bearing. The guy behind the counter told me when I get it done, just bring the socket back for a refund. And I took him up on his idea.
                            Just sayin!!!

Comment

I can’t imagine anyone not seeing something wrong with that. The exception IMO is if you buy a tool, try to use it, and it can’t actually do the job.

We were building a treehouse and my impact driver wouldn’t handle the 10” Spax screws. Went and dropped $300 on a Dewalt cordless impact wrench, and it wouldn’t do them either, so back it went.

I’ve also returned stuff that broke when being used as intended, and couldn’t get the job done, pitman arm puller for example.

Comment

Kinda broad brush there don’t ya think!!
                                Wheel bearing went out on my truck. Didn’t have the socket that I needed. Went to O’Rileys and bought one, along with a new bearing. The guy behind the counter told me when I get it done, just bring the socket back for a refund. And I took him up on his idea.
                                Just sayin!!!
                                If I were the manager of that branch he would be fired for suggesting that. Most auto parts stores I have been to have tools you can borrow.

Returning a tool after you used it for said purpose and it performed accordingly is just flat out wrong.

If you don’t want to own tools send your truck to the shop and let a mechanic fix it for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X