No announcement yet.

Weekend Rolling Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By being prepared for things that happen it got us a LOT lower death toll. That is a fact. Most of those living on the coast know now. However, we have had a VERY large number of people coming in from other parts of the country that have never dealt with things we deal with in Texas. Does that mean we should not sound the alarm when signs point to something bad? If that’s the case then the meteorologists need to stop issuing thunderstorm and tornado watches, because often times they don’t happen.

Just because you don’t see things happen exactly as someone says doesn’t mean it’s a conspiracy theory.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      Let's just repair all coal burning power plants and bring them on line. We should also put a halt on home development.
      can't
      many are already destroyed
      epa will not allow them to be built

Comment

A news story just popped up in regards to the coal fired power plant south east of San Antonio.

CPS Energy mulls future of Bexar County’s top source of pollution

So they’re looking at shutting it down. I can see the stacks from this plant from my couch. Two of the 3 stacks are smoking right now.

Comment

This is a blessing in disguise. You want to see people get serious about stable secure cheap energy? Turn the lights off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Power outages have occurred since electricity started being sold. Just like any other luxuries. Living in areas hit by storms and hurricanes has taught me and many others to deal with it. If mature people have not learned by now they either don't care or could care less. I have been hearing the sky is falling since they told us to hide under our desks during a nuclear attack in elementary school. Where did that get us? And yes. A lot of this chicken little stuff is tin foil headwear theory.
            i'm a retired power plant operator as of march1 2022
            huge differences between power outages,rolling blackouts and system blackout/failure. power outage is inconvienent . rolling blackouts are the tool they use to prevent system failure. more serious than an outage but still minor.
            a system wide grid failure is castastrophic. something that would take months to repair and restore. and that is if parts were readily available.

as stated above ,the main problem is not having enough base load plants to provide that 25 to 30 percent over generation to absorb hiccups in the grid.

Clinton outlawed "gas peaker plants" that can spool up and be online in minutes because they are not super efficient and the epa isnt a fan either.

combined cycle plants are super efficient but take 2 to 4 hrs to start up and dispatch.

ercot has no control over whats being built or shutdown. they only control the assets they have, which btw, they did a remarkable job keeping the grid going during the great freeze. had they failed,Texas would of been back in the stone age for months.

building more combined cycle gas plants and keeping them running instead of cycling them online /offline would greatly help grid stability.

just my 2 cents ,carry on

Comment

Turn your stat down. Bet most set them at 65 or less. Don't bring home what your work place sets their stat to keep you comfy so you won't complain. Each and everyone can help, IF you want to... Yes, increased volume of people affects everything.

Comment

Power for 2x16 N zone (weekend) traded as high as $325 on wednesday, it was down to $100 today. Wind gen was raised a bit and unit availability rose a bit as well for the weekend, guessing a couple plants hustled back from maintenance. So looks like potential issues for the weekend have been greatly lessened.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
                  Power for 2x16 N zone (weekend) traded as high as $325 on wednesday, it was down to $100 today. Wind gen was raised a bit and unit availability rose a bit as well for the weekend, guessing a couple plants hustled back from maintenance. So looks like potential issues for the weekend have been greatly lessened.
                  That’s some good news!!

I’m ready for the power to go out, and I’d like others to be ready too but I don’t want it to happen. It’s kinda like owning a fire extinguisher.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                    This is a blessing in disguise. You want to see people get serious about stable secure cheap energy? Turn the lights off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
                    Will be awesome when government gets involved and passes a few trillion in bonds to pay for it all...and then squanders most of the money and we still have less than reliable power.

Comment

For the love of all that is holy please educate yourself and don't rely on the media to inform you. I watched the news clip but did not read the replies. The feds want ercot gone so they can control our grid. They want to send our cheap electricity to democrat run states. That news clip said "energy experts" warn of blackouts not Ercot. All of my career has been in the electric utilities, don't trust the doom and gloom the media is spitting out. They are trying to assist in the desolve of ercot and fed control of our grid. Now don't get me wrong ERCOT is far from perfect but it beats the feds by a mile.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Comment

Doom and Gloomers rooting for Blackouts. No surprise.

Comment

When the lights go out over here and candles get lit… then the kiddo goes to bed…

You know the rest…

Comment

Failed energy policies and government subsidization of green energy technologies that cannot compete in the market on their own………that is all this is…….

And just remember, the R politicians (including the current governor) that were showboating their green energy prowess and the awards they received. You come to except it from the D’s.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                              That’s some good news!!

I’m ready for the power to go out, and I’d like others to be ready too but I don’t want it to happen. It’s kinda like owning a fire extinguisher.
                              This is why folks give you flack. You’ll trust a headline. Lots of us are prepared. None of us want it to happen. Most of us don’t get on here to read doom and gloom every day. I don’t watch the news for that reason.

Have you noticed a trend? Public fear. They thrive on it in the media. Post freeze, they scare everyone they can anytime a big norther was coming. Big storms? You’ll hear gorilla hail and stupid things like that. It’s just like politics. Most just want the TRUTH. Not some amped up BS to instill fear. That doesn’t mean we live with our head in the sand. Nor does it mean we don’t care. But we know that not every **** thing is our government out to destroy the universe or screw us. (No I don’t trust them either). God controls it all. Faith over fear.

Hoping these politicians can put themselves aside and get stuff done. And power plants start getting built. Heck we need another big crude refinery or 3 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                This is why folks give you flack. You’ll trust a headline. Lots of us are prepared. None of us want it to happen. Most of us don’t get on here to read doom and gloom every day. I don’t watch the news for that reason.

Have you noticed a trend? Public fear. They thrive on it in the media. Post freeze, they scare everyone they can anytime a big norther was coming. Big storms? You’ll hear gorilla hail and stupid things like that. It’s just like politics. Most just want the TRUTH. Not some amped up BS to instill fear. That doesn’t mean we live with our head in the sand. Nor does it mean we don’t care. But we know that not every **** thing is our government out to destroy the universe or screw us. (No I don’t trust them either). God controls it all. Faith over fear.

Hoping these politicians can put themselves aside and get stuff done. And power plants start getting built. Heck we need another big crude refinery or 3 as well.

Do what you do. I learned a long time ago how to meet my needs. There’s a crap ton of people that haven’t

Comment

Working...
                                X