The short PHAT 7s.. take me to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of building a shorter lighter weight rifle in the future in 7mm shooting 180gr bullets.

Stock: Manners/AG/McMillan
    Action: Defiance anti in short or xm length
    Barrel: 20” carbon sendero or light sendero contour
    Trigger: Trigger tech
    Bottom metal: Hawkins hunter

3 options I’m considering right now are 7SAUM and 7wsm in xm action and 7ss in short action.

Anyone running any of the 3 in a 20” barrel with 180s?

Tagged

Comment

Not with the 180's, but I had a Model 7 in 7 SAUM and shot 140 gr. Barnes X bullets out of it. I don't remember the velocity, but it was a sub MOA shooter. I traded it off for a Remington 700 Ti in 7 SAUM and still shoot 140 gr. Barnes TTSX's through it. Velocity is 3050 FPS, but it's a sub .5 MOA rifle when I do my part.

I never really wanted to go heavier than the 140's. Every mule deer, white tail and hog I've ever shot with it has never taken another step.

I'd think the velocity would suffer from all the powder space that would be taken up by those longer bullets.

Comment

180's in a 7 short gonna be tough. Chamber needs to be custom and cases need to be made with longer neck to seat the bullet out farther to not lose powder capacity otherwise you just wind up with a 7-08 heavy. Now comes the other kink. Standard short action magazine will now be too short so that has to be custom also. Lots of obstacles to overcome.
        As for cases, one might form 7WSM from 300WSM and get a bit of stretch for the necks but I'm not sure of that.
        Best option for something that shoots 180gr 7mm short is to be single shot. Then all it needs is custom chambering. Cases could be made from 404 Jeffery brass if you have custom dies made. RCBS could possibly do it for you as they made my 338 WSM dies for me several years ago.
        Reamers can be custom made also by Pacific Tool and Gauge who made mine for the 338WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          180's in a 7 short gonna be tough. Chamber needs to be custom and cases need to be made with longer neck to seat the bullet out farther to not lose powder capacity otherwise you just wind up with a 7-08 heavy. Now comes the other kink. Standard short action magazine will now be too short so that has to be custom also. Lots of obstacles to overcome.
          As for cases, one might form 7WSM from 300WSM and get a bit of stretch for the necks but I'm not sure of that.
          Best option for something that shoots 180gr 7mm short is to be single shot. Then all it needs is custom chambering. Cases could be made from 404 Jeffery brass if you have custom dies made. RCBS could possibly do it for you as they made my 338 WSM dies for me several years ago.
          Reamers can be custom made also by Pacific Tool and Gauge who made mine for the 338WSM.
          Oooooh a 338 WSM? That sounds like a lot of fun right there. Not to hijack the thread, but tell me what you got?

Comment

7SS is going to work best in a short action. Only issue is the proprietary brass, BUT it seems to be available when a lot of others aren’t.

I’m doing a 6.5 SAUM with 156 Bergers but even with Hawkins Hunter DBM I know I’m leaving performance on the table even seating at 2.970”.

I’m looking into a Wyatt’s Baney box but it’s my understanding since it’s not a center feed design it doesn’t work well with fat cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Yes I should have added that I can reload and both the 7saum and wsm would have a long throat for the heavier bullets.
              The 7saum and wsm would be built on a medium action to be able to seat the bullets out where they need to be.
              The 7 Sherman short was designed to run 180gr bullets in a short action with a 2.950” box mag or bdl extend box. But it is also the most “wildcat” of the bunch. ADG does make head stamp 7ss brass though so it’s not terrible, but you won’t be finding any ammo on the shelf or online for it if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                7SS is going to work best in a short action. Only issue is the proprietary brass, BUT it seems to be available when a lot of others aren’t.

I’m doing a 6.5 SAUM with 156 Bergers but even with Hawkins Hunter DBM I know I’m leaving performance on the table even seating at 2.970”.

I’m looking into a Wyatt’s Baney box but it’s my understanding since it’s not a center feed design it doesn’t work well with fat cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How many 6.5mm cartridges do you have in the arsenal, now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been thinking about this myself, more for a setup to shoot 1 mile plus rather than hunting though. Was originally leaning toward a 7SAUM, but finding brass looks to be a bit of a hassle. The 7SS or 7max is probably going to be the way I go, brass looks to be readily available and the geometries make sense. From what I can see, the 7ss with a 30” barrel should be able to get the 180-190 class bullets to about 3000 fps easily which is right where I want to be.

Another round I was considering was the 7-6.5prc or 7-300prc just because Lapua makes brass for each of those .
                  Last edited by stxhunter; 05-06-2022, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    Oooooh a 338 WSM? That sounds like a lot of fun right there. Not to hijack the thread, but tell me what you got?
                    Built on a Browning A-bolt 300WSM. AFAIK it was the very first wildcat 338WSM ever made. Dies and reamer all custom. Shilen barrel 26" with brake. I used Lazzeroni Galaxy load data to work up the loads. She pretty hot for a 338.
                    Built by Euless Guns & Ammo way back before SAAMI ever came out with specs for a 338-300 WSM. Gun is probably now about 20 years old.
                    Attached Files

Comment

7saum (7lbs 1oz scoped)- Defiance anTi SA at 2.95", 22" Proof 1-8, ADG brass, H4831sc

169 Hammer- 2875fps
                      175 ELDX- 2825fps
                      175 Elite Hunter- 2775fps
                      180 Hybrid- 2750fps

Comment

Where did you find all this time to reload? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                          7saum (7lbs 1oz scoped)- Defiance anTi SA at 2.95", 22" Proof 1-8, ADG brass, H4831sc

169 Hammer- 2875fps
                          175 ELDX- 2825fps
                          175 Elite Hunter- 2775fps
                          180 Hybrid- 2750fps
                          Nice. I was kinda hoping to get 2800 out of a 20” with 180s. I might be asking too much from a 20”.

You got a pic of the rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                            Where did you find all this time to reload? Lol
                            The future doesn’t have to be tomorrow lol
                            We can dream right?!

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
                              Nice. I was kinda hoping to get 2800 out of a 20” with 180s. I might be asking too much from a 20”.

You got a pic of the rifle?
                              I think maybe RL26 in a XM or LA length might get you close!

Comment

Working...
                              X