FIFY.

Big difference.

There’s really not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      FIFY.

Big difference.
      I agree. But I picked up and hunted with my recurve last year.

I did blow 2 shots and shot smooth over 2 deer. X ringed the next shot with my heli-m

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure which part of my comments above are so 'off' - but I stand by them 100%.

That's been my experience in hunting deer for a lot of years with both a compound and a crossbow.

But I guess I was a bit vague on the word 'buck'. I had no problem taking does & young bucks with a compound.

It was the mature bucks that I have found to give very short shot opportunities, the majority of the time. My experience has not been like the hunting shows where big bucks just stand around waiting for you to shoot.

And a crossbow was a huge game changer for me in getting an accurate shot off quickly.

My whole point was simply - hunt in whatever legal way works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          There’s really not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          There really is. Sorry if you don’t understand that.

Elitists think they’re better than everyone and their method is best.

Purists like their sport and are loyal to it. Seems simple to understand.
          Last edited by Fishndude; 04-07-2022, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Only benefit I found was you can shoot without having having to make any movement to draw. X-bow is heavier, bulkier, louder, don't really gain any distance. I always found myself reaching for the compound even after practicing during the summer with the X-bow. Though I've bowhunted since I was 15....so, I may be biased.

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
              Something I didn’t think about before I bought my crossbow was the difference in hunting methods. Crossbows SUCK to carry around. They’re heavy, you’re limited in how you can carry them safely, and it’s really hard to stealthily cock one, so if you’re trying to spot&stalk, you’re walking around with it ready to fire. Careful with that trigger!

If you mostly sit in a stand, crossbows are great, but for active hunting, compound or trad is the way to go.
              What he said plus in the field (spot and stalk) or in a tree, i am way less accurate with the crossbow because of the front end heaviness. I could see it in a ground blind with shooting stick but that is not the way I hunt.

Comment

it definitely matters how you want to hunt
                the crossbow is a major pain to deal with in a tree stand or stands with multiple angle and directions the deer will come from
                lol i’ve always said that sitting in a tree with a cocked crossbow in your lap is like sitting there with a granade with the pin pulled in your lap for 3 hours lol !
                now if you want to hunt from a blind or pop up and have it set up to shoot mainly one direction and can have the crossbow in a tripod or some way to hold it ready then it works real good
                that being said it’s not the same as shooting with a regular bow much more satisfying to make the shot with the bow.

Comment

I use an Excalibur Micro. It is great in a tree stand, pop up, and or a tripod. I hang mine on a tree hook just like a compound if i don't feel like holding it.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                    If I didn't have a shoulder issue I would have stuck with a compound bow. Nothing more exciting than being close to what your hunt. A crossbow is accurate up to 60 yards, so might as well shoot a gun!
                    This was my experience. After 4 shoulder surgeries I pretty much stepped away from hunting altogether b/c I couldn’t even hold, let alone pull my bow. I just didn’t enjoy the sport as much hunting with a rifle. I bought a crossbow thinking it would be the same as my compound. I enjoyed it for awhile but eventually grew tired of it because it was just like shooting a rifle out to about 75 yards. To each his own…I won’t judge anyone for shooting one though.

Comment

Yall use bows? pffftttttttttt bunch of loosers. Me and the tribe chase them on foot to the edge of a cliff and drive the front of the herd to their death. Then we go collect the bodies from the bottom of the cliff. If you aint doing this you cant even call yourself a hunter. Probably yall wear camouflage as well, pfffttttt. Stone spears and loin cloths only boys.

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
                        I shoot both out of my ground blind, just depends on how I am feeling that day.
                        ^^^^^^ This!! Comp bow, Xbow, open sight lever action, scoped rifle, etc... Why limit yourself when you can experience it all. I bought a $300 Xbow from academy and it is plenty fast and VERY accurate. I won't shoot for groups until 40yds or more from fear of a robinhood lol. I bought it because of the property I was limited to hunting for that year was archery only, dense brush, heavy hunting pressure, couldn't get very high off the ground so brush or popup blind, and almost impossible to not have the wind swirl on you. So Xbow was less movement to shoot, faster, more accurate at longer range. I have had a blast with it and its been a great way to get younger kiddos into archery with a weapon they can ethically kill an animal with.

Comment

I used to be anti xbow but I bought one last year for my son to use. I went high end too and bought a Mission Sub 1. Watched my son kill his 1st deer last year with it.
                          I still haven't hunted with it myself but I will if I feel that I am in a position where it would be better for me.
                          So, go for both! They are awesome but there is something about a compound too!

Comment

I hunt most all season with my compound. I enjoy the whole challenge of it. My son shoots a crossbow, and has killed several pigs and a deer with it. I used to take my crossbow and use it on public land, when all of the leaves fell, and deer were so pressured, they knew to look up. With crossbow, it was easier to get a shot off, without them catching your movement.

Comment

Well I bit the bullet, or bolt and got myself a Centerpoint Heat 425. Bought it on sale, then it came in all wonky, returned it and exchanged for same thing. Straight out of the box it was shooting well at 20 yards. Made a slight adjustment and its a tack driver. Almost Robin Hood

Now I just need to find some Public land near Katy to shoot a hog on and practice for deer season.

Comment

I’m not commenting on the xbow vs vertical argument, but if you (or anyone else) wants an as new top end xbow, pm me. I have one I’ll sell.

Well, horse hockey, too late again !

Comment

Working...
                                X