2022 Central Oklahoma thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Central Oklahoma thread

I’ve been a part of other area threads and it’s always great to hear from other hunters in the area. Being completely new to an area we are def gonna need to get some recommendations on hunting setups, food plot seed, good feed suppliers and just general conversation on how the yr is going from others. So let’s hear from everyone in the Oklahoma area and what part of the state your in. No need for exact locations but general area is always nice.
    We are in 320 ac in Seminole county between Seminole and Ada. Will be our first yr in Oklahoma so got a lot of work to do.

We have plenty of pigs to chase to kick off the season. Got a few stock tanks to fish and a few turkeys have shown up.
    We didn’t get cams up until most everything had shed already. Haven’t really had a lot of time to shed hunt much moving everything. No tellin what is running around.

Hope to meet some of the OK hunting crew someday.

I've got a lease in Atoka Co & one in Seminole Co (hopefully if I get to keep it!). Not many good bucks on cam or harvested in Atoka. Just a place to burn a steak & relax w some beers. Tons of deer and hogs.
    Place in Seminole shows better promise. Really hope to spend more time there this coming season.

Comment

We hunt in Eastern Oklahoma County.
      400ac in a couple places.
      We've had some pretty good success over the last decade!

Comment

I have a small place in Johnston county. Been pretty impressed so far. Hoping to build a small cabin this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

16 miles northeast of Ada..outside Allen

Bought a place about 3 years ago..

I would say hunting is similar to East Tx.

I have had better luck with free choice feeders vs spincast

I've had more mature bucks come to the free choice feeders, very rarely have them come to the spincast feeders.

I have had to pay more attention to scent/wind at stand locations vs hill country or west tx

PM me if you need more specific info, will try to help

Comment

We own land in Pushmataha and Pittsburg counties. I enjoy hunting from the top of the mountains where I can see a long long ways during the rut. The entire SE part of Okieville is great hunting where a lifetimer could step out any moment. I’ve been hunting up their for the last 40 years so I’m happy to help any way I can.

Comment

I'm still trying to scout the land to determine best spots for feeders. Pigs are proving to be an issue already. Gonna need feed pens but you never know how the deer will react. We will be hunting some hand corn spots and food plots as well.

On a side note has the Turkey population in the seminole area decreased recently or has anyone heard of any recent die offs? Buddy of mine mentioned that the guthrie/stillwater area had lower populations. I want to Turkey hunt but want to see if the population is strong first.

Comment

Also is there any certain feeds that do well in the area? Other than straight corn of course? We will start feeding protein in timed protein feeders once we get pens built. Also any good feed store leads in the Ada/Seminole area?

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                  I've got a lease in Atoka Co & one in Seminole Co (hopefully if I get to keep it!). Not many good bucks on cam or harvested in Atoka. Just a place to burn a steak & relax w some beers. Tons of deer and hogs.
                  Place in Seminole shows better promise. Really hope to spend more time there this coming season.

Interesting to hear the “not many good bucks” from the Atoka region. I hunt lots of the public land around there, and have had the opposite experience.
                  Now, I’m not looking for a booner, but I really don’t stay focused on a property without at least a couple P&Y to focus on.

Comment

140s

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    Interesting to hear the “not many good bucks” from the Atoka region. I hunt lots of the public land around there, and have had the opposite experience.
                    Now, I’m not looking for a booner, but I really don’t stay focused on a property without at least a couple P&Y to focus on.

We get deer in the 140s on cam occassionally but nothing regular.
                    And it's odd because buddies hunt <10 mi E of us and kill 150-200+. And have em on cams a lot too.

Our place is near land locked at the end of a 2 mi dead end road. We're bout the only folks that use it the last mile. 0 houses. But we've been told the surrounding neighbors shoot everything that walks, any time of year.
                    On another note... it's DIRT CHEAP, has elec for camp, and I can do on it as I please. Take whoever, whenever.

My grandson loves it so... I keep it.

And I found out this morning I lost the place in Seminole.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                      We get deer in the 140s on cam occassionally but nothing regular.
                      And it's odd because buddies hunt <10 mi E of us and kill 150-200+. And have em on cams a lot too.

Our place is near land locked at the end of a 2 mi dead end road. We're bout the only folks that use it the last mile. 0 houses. But we've been told the surrounding neighbors shoot everything that walks, any time of year.
                      On another note... it's DIRT CHEAP, has elec for camp, and I can do on it as I please. Take whoever, whenever.

My grandson loves it so... I keep it.

And I found out this morning I lost the place in Seminole.
                      That stinks...

Comment

We are new to Oklahoma so I’m sure it’s not big news but tornadoes went thru Seminole today hit town of Seminole pretty good. Little too close to the new ranch this early in its existence for my liking. Prob won’t be the last tho.

Comment

Went and looked at a place in Greer county Oklahoma today looks really good and plan on getting it will post on here once we get it going. Was on a place for 7 years in Jackson county Oklahoma it was a great place but it sold and we had to leave I killed 2 160s off of that place with a bow .
                          Last edited by Hoss163; 05-04-2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Stopped by the ranch yesterday and it has morphed into a rain forest. Crazy thick green and lush. Had to turn feeders down to just a couple seconds. Pigs not even hitting them much. Wish I could have gotten more scouting done before it got so thick.

Comment

Also psa, ticks are horrible right now. Make sure and spray down and wear some spandex made layers

Comment

Working...
                              X