Right to Left handed after 30 plus years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to Left handed after 30 plus years

Any advice from you folks who have walked the path before me? I am left eye dominant but have shot right handed for 30 years starting with a jennings and ending up with Bowtech. I recently visited local bow shop and took advantage of the opportunity to try left. A grand is a huge risk for me to make the change only to not be successful with training and transition. My vision has begun to diminish and so has my shoulder/neck. Surely you have some advice for me the do and don'ts, training tips for the transfer and what wrist release will keep my head straight during the transition? Thanks in advance. HN

Same boat here but after 50 years of shooting RH and having major left shoulder in Nov of 2021 I ain’t changing!

Comment

Shoot a Lot

I didn’t have any trouble switching over. It was awkward at first but didn’t take long to get used to it. I really like that I can shoot with both eyes open now. Also, keep an eye out as you can get good deals on 2nd hand bows.

Comment

I am left eye dominant and have been shooting left handed my whole life, so I am not much help in the switching department.

But I agree with the above to look for a used bow. I got my current bow for 250 bucks shipped to me on Archery Talk, it was 2 years old, put some new strings on it, and loaded out and I have a great shooting bow that I have about $700 in.

Comment

Why switch shut your left eye or use a dot to blur it. It only matter if you shoot with both eyes open.

Comment

I really believe it doesn’t matter, I shoot left handed with rifles but as soon as my oldest wanted to learn how to shoot a bow, I got a right handed bow so I could learn and return show him. So now I shoot left and right handed.

Comment

I made the switch several years ago and haven’t looked back. My biggest problem was nocking an arrow left handed, other than that I switched pretty quickly. I did go to a coach to help but, after one day he told me I was golden. I like being able to shoot both hands, I can test a new bow in right or left hand before having to order a bow. Even though left handed equipment is harder to find secondhand, it’s usually cheaper due to lack of shooters.

Comment

I'm left handed and left eye dominant but grew up shooting right hand bows. My brother would always give me his old ones and I never knew as a kid they even made left handed bows. I learned to adapt and shot them pretty well. When I made the switch though in my late 20's, it was awesome!! A little awkward at first, but my shooting almost instantly improved. I started out light with a 50 lb bow but before long got my left handed form right and just went from there. Do it, you won't regret it!! I would say maybe hold off on dropping that much money and buy a PSE Stinger or something similar to make sure it's gonna work out. You can upgrade later and if it doesn't work out you can sell it.

Comment

I started shooting a bow right handed in my teens even though I shot right handed rifles left handed. It was my dad’s old bow and I killed lots of critters with it and other right handed bows for 20 years. About 5 years ago I bought a new left handed Halon. Within 2 weeks I was more accurate than I had ever been. It was somewhat awkward at first and still to this day every once in a while I’ll put my release on at the truck and walk into my stand and realize it’s on the wrong hand, Lol.

Comment

Parker

I've got a Parker you can try out. I'll sell it cheap. It's a Buck Hunter XP with a 4 pin Truglo sight, a NAP Apache stabilizer, wrist strap and a whisker biscuit. $125 + Shipping. Text me: (432) 967-5002

Comment

I'm left eye dominate, and shoot Trad right handed.
                      I just accept it and use it as a excuse of why I can't hit anything.

Comment

Hardest thing for me was loading the arrow. Piece of cake after that.

Comment

I’ve had multiple customers do this for one reason or another. None of them had major issues. One used an eye patch for a bit and that was it.

Comment

No issues just feels funny at first. I can now shoot with either side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X