Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I give up I can't get that sucker to upload right side up. lol

Comment

Antelope hunt number 1 - New Mexico near Magadalena - Public land DIY antelope hunt. 71 yard antelope - riding 2ft of wind quartering in from left to right.

Second Antelope - hunt number 2 the following year - got drawn 2 years in a row - registering with a dear friend - New Mexican native - sponsored 3D and bowhunter from there. He tried to get drawn for 24 years - archery antelope. Stuck our Texas butt in with his - bam - 2 years in a row then the State of NM changed the lottery odds and that was it for me.

Antelope 2, drank water at 55 yards across a water tank, walked out to my left - made my shot at that range on a walking antelope - number 2 down - mounted them both. One in my home and the other, in the family home.

The 360lb mule deer, running at 120 yards down a mountain at speed - Washington State - with my old Boss Richard - local mountain hunter who took me in and turned me loose in the Okanogan National Forest. Washington State requires all big game be aged and weighed by State biologists. He scaled 360lbs live, 36" neck girth, 64" chest girth - Game folks said heaviest top 5 muley ever from that State and I never scored the bone. He hangs in the family home - with a mule deer doe painting my mother painted - so he hangs with a mate on the wall. Mount and painting together - Mom contributed to the display and that was special for our tribe.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by AtTheWall; 01-10-2022, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I ran out of arrows at Bayouboy's Segno Texas deer lease one evening, I had more hogs down than the arrows I shot at them. Found two were shot with one arrow - 38 yards from a tall pine treestand - on the edge of Bayouboys cleared timber area there at Segno.

Double punched one boiler room = arrow passed thru and buried half in and out of the second hog, standing next to him - that was luck and not planned. It was out away from the tree enough - the arrow nailed two.

We all spent the night looking for dead pigs

Some great memories - and that hunt was interesting. I kept the pigs close, shooting the farthest hogs away from the group - so the rest stayed piled up - ran out of arrows with more to kill

Comment

Originally posted by duramaxdude View Post
          this was my highlight for the year. I was sitting over a shooting range where i had been putting corn out at 600yds. This guy came out first thing right as i had pulled up and was figuring my elevation. I got excited because i had been looking for him and that was the first sighting. I got on my rifle, shot, and hit low because in my excitement i hadn't dialed in my correct elevation. In a fumbling hurry i dialed in my elevation and he had only ran to the other side of the range clearing with his head up fully alert looking for what the commotion was all about. All i could see was the top of the shoulders, neck, and head. I put the cross hairs on his neck and dropped him like a rock. I was thoroughly excited.
          Nice shooting!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by saintsfan; 01-10-2022, 12:17 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Back in 2006, I drove up to a feed pen. I noticed a squirrel eating corn off of the spinner plate of my sling corn feeder. Without thinking, I puled out my 9MM and fired one shot to the head at 30 yards. What were the odds that I wouldn't hit the feeder?

Comment

When I was a young kid, couldn’t have been over 5-6. I wanted to shoot at my grandparents farm. I had never shot before so my grandad gave me the safety talk and said ok it’s time to shoot. We went out on the front porch. Their front yard is probably about 100 yds with a mail box at the road. He gave me the single shot .22 and said ok shoot the mailbox. Open sights and freehand I smoked it on the first shot. He couldn’t believe it, told everyone we talked to for a month. 30 years later that mailbox is still there with some JB weld covering the holes. Unfortunately the luck has not continued into adulthood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was bowhunting the 74 ranch with a group of friends in the late 80s. I killed a decent deer and my friend (roy) stuck two does one evening. It was midnight by the time we got them found and drug out. Had to get help. Anyway we were in a small truck so I just jumped in the back as the cab was full.

We are driving out from our pasture headed to the cooler. About 3 miles a coyote bounced out in the ranch road running ahead of the truck. Roy's bow was in a holder on the back of the tool box. For some reason, I picked it up, knocked an arrow and shot over the cab instinctive with his bow. Drilled the yote right in the butt. He spun around a few times and got out of the road.

We put our deer in the cooler and got a nap before getting on stand the next morning. When we got back to camp, the guide and ranch manager were there accusing Roy of night hunting another pasture. They saw birds on the yote and he still had an arrow in him with Roy's name on it lol!

A couple months later, he got a letter in the mail telling him he was not welcome on the ranch any longer.
                Last edited by GarGuy; 01-10-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan View Post
                  Nice shooting!
                  Thanks for the help!

Comment

142 yards (rangefinder verified after shooting) trotting coyote with a 17 cal. Don’t think I could ever do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      I was bowhunting the 74 ranch with a group of friends in the late 80s. I killed a decent deer and my friend (roy) stuck two does one evening. It was midnight by the time we got them found and drug out. Had to get help. Anyway we were in a small truck so I just jumped in the back as the cab was full.

We are driving out from our pasture headed to the cooler. About 3 miles a coyote bounced out in the ranch road running ahead of the truck. Roy's bow was in a holder on the back of the tool box. For some reason, I picked it up, knocked an arrow and shot over the cab instinctive with his bow. Drilled the yote right in the butt. He spun around a few times and got out of the road.

We put our deer in the cooler and got a nap before getting on stand the next morning. When we got back to camp, the guide and ranch manager were there accusing Roy of night hunting another pasture. They saw birds on the yote and he still had an arrow in him with Roy's name on it lol!

A couple months later, he got a letter in the mail telling him he was not welcome on the ranch any longer.

Hahahaha, man I laughed hard at this. That’s wild, great story sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to Hill Country Rifle Range - 2004 or so - Richard the owner - eccentric (I think he's PTSD from NAM?) has a 450 meter steel doe at the far end of his range - shot is slightly elevated (old caliche pit worked over years ago - far rise at the longest reach of this range).

We were dialing in my son's 22-250 @ 200 yards. Standard stuff - lotta guys pre deer season there - doing the same thing.

Hauled my Winchester Mod 70 - chambered for 270 Weatherby - floated/glassed - custom hand loads - worked up 150 grain loads.

Shot a couple of rounds at 200 with the Win/Weatherby - so loud - it startles those on the line. Richard rolls over - he's wearing Camo - military gear - and he's known to be unpredictable..........gun was punching single holes.

Richard "bet you can't hit the steel - down range?"

Settled up - had 4 fresh loads - settled top in the void - covering my shots - first PLINK - the range stops firing with the sound. I shot the last 3 - plink - plink and plink. Opened the bolt - started packing - as the others adjusted long on the line and started blasting - no PLINKS.

Richard follows - "what are you shooting?"

Weatherby 270 - smiled and winked and my son and I left.

Never went back - not even sure if it's still in operation?

Made a head shot, on a turkey gobbler at 130 yards with my Dad's bolt 22 magnum - mid day - at our old family ranch near Harper. We went to the Longhorn Cafe - had a late breakfast after the AM deer hunt. Rolling back - we spotted a pile of Rios - with a few jakes and a dominante gobbler.

Dad challenged me - so we bailed out of the truck - I grabbed his 22 mag - our eyes in the scope are dead nuts. He told me it's dead on at 100 - laid prone behind a cedar tree - Pops behind me with binoculars - propped up on a rock and aimed at the top of it's head as he stood in full sunlight - perfect in the scope and triggered the gun - bird started flopping and the rest left.

Walked up - shot in the head and down.

My last solid shot with the man who turned me loose at 6 years old.

Nuts in reflection now.

Comment

Working...
                        X