Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 09-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
highspeed
Ten Point

Default Which Limb Driven Rest???

In the market for one and I tarted to look at Vapor Trail Gen 7 but Iím seeing a lot of hype about Hamskea rests. Are the Hamskeas that much better than the VT?
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
prodigyoutdoors
Four Point

Hunt In: Ole Boys Place

I have always like vt, been shooting them for 15 years.

They have great products and customer service. I have a gen 7x for sale
I’m not using as well
prodigyoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

I have a Hamskea.

I like it. Can’t say if a limb driven is better than a traditional drop away where it’s served into the string. But it works well
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
pokem
Nubbin' Buck

I went from a hamskea trinity to the ol faithful WB. I got tired of tinkering with rest timing. That's 2 bare shafts and a fletched from 25 yds. No moving parts to fail. This a hunting set up. Target bow is different story. It get the Hamskea

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
pokem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokem View Post
I went from a hamskea trinity to the ol faithful WB. I got tired of tinkering with rest timing. That's 2 bare shafts and a fletched from 25 yds. No moving parts to fail. This a hunting set up. Target bow is different story. It get the Hamskea

Címon man, thatís impossible. The WB is trash and you can never tune a bow to shoot with one.

Plenty of people on here will tell you that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
MnM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co.

I’m a VT fan. I don’t have any trouble with timing.
MnM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
Easttxbowman
Ten Point

Hamskea for sure.

Hybrid hunter microtune is what I've had on my last 10-15 bows. I can't see the upgrade to a Trinity or epsilon.

I've got a spare target pro microtune that you can buy a hybrid hunter conversion kit for if you interested.

Also, not sure what timing issue can possibly be had with a hamskea. Pull the cord tight and it's set. Maybe your blade angle was out of whack if you were getting contact.
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
pokem
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Címon man, thatís impossible. The WB is trash and you can never tune a bow to shoot with one.

Plenty of people on here will tell you that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Been shooting and tuning for since I was 20 and I'm over 50 now. I shoot daily. You might not have enough patience or skill. If you think you do then try for yourself. I did. Pics speak for themselves. Have a good season.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #9
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokem View Post
Been shooting and tuning for since I was 20 and I'm over 50 now. I shoot daily. You might not have enough patience or skill. If you think you do then try for yourself. I did. Pics speak for themselves. Have a good season.

You missed the dripping sarcasm. I shoot a WB too on a bow with a 5Ē brace height so it should really be unshootable. Ive robin hodded arrows at 30 yards with that setup.

And Iíve never had a failure due to moving parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 06:34 PM   #10
Bish
Pope & Young

Go with the VP you will be glad you did.

God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #11
pokem
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
You missed the dripping sarcasm. I shoot a WB too on a bow with a 5Ē brace height so it should really be unshootable. Ive robin hodded arrows at 30 yards with that setup.

And Iíve never had a failure due to moving parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 09-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #12
Bmetz117
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Angelina National Forest, southern Oklahoma

I'm switching to the Hamskea Epsilon. I currently run a Ripcord LOK and I've had a lot of issues with it.
Bmetz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2022, 08:29 PM   #13
highspeed
Ten Point

Thanks for all the replies and offers. I think I’m going to go with the Vapor Trail.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #14
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales County

Someone besides Hamskea makes limb driven rests? I own 3. No rest timing to deal with, built like a tank. Iíve gone to all micro adjust rests and it is a real time saver.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 12:57 AM   #15
100%TtId
Pope & Young

For limb driven rests like the Hamskea Trinity, should you release the tension on the pull cord when storing the bow? Seems like it’s under a fair bit of stress even at brace.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 04:21 AM   #16
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voca, Jasper county, newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
For limb driven rests like the Hamskea Trinity, should you release the tension on the pull cord when storing the bow? Seems like it’s under a fair bit of stress even at brace.
I never have and I've had the same trinity on several bows for 4 years.. If the string stretches just pull it until the launcher stays down. You time the rest by moving the tie in point toward or away from the end of the limb. So as long as the launcher is down it will work. I've even started leaving the launcher up just a tiny bit so it doesn't slap when I shoot..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #17
Bryan11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Limestone Co

I've used Hamskea and currently use the QAD ultra rest. Pros & Cons to each. I like the QAD holds the arrow better but you have to manually engage the rest. The Hamskea never gave me any problems. Can't go wrong with either.
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 12:24 PM   #18
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton

I currently have a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter micro tune. After shooting a QAD HDX before I really prefer the arrow containment of the QAD 100x over the Hamskea. Also, when I draw no matter how slow there seems to be noise from the arrow moving and rattling around. If I draw fast it is really bad. Not sure if it is enough to spook an animal but it is enough to annoy me every time I shoot.

So I've been seriously considering either getting a Vapor Trail or going back to QAD. The hamskea build quality and durability and fine tuning are excellent. I just have trouble with the arrow containment and noise. I did order a little rubber Vapor Trail secure arrow holder that should be here today to try out and hopefully that solves my issues.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #19
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camo that doesn't match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
I currently have a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter micro tune. After shooting a QAD HDX before I really prefer the arrow containment of the QAD 100x over the Hamskea. Also, when I draw no matter how slow there seems to be noise from the arrow moving and rattling around. If I draw fast it is really bad. Not sure if it is enough to spook an animal but it is enough to annoy me every time I shoot.

So I've been seriously considering either getting a Vapor Trail or going back to QAD. The hamskea build quality and durability and fine tuning are excellent. I just have trouble with the arrow containment and noise. I did order a little rubber Vapor Trail secure arrow holder that should be here today to try out and hopefully that solves my issues.

Stealth strips! I havenít had good luck with VTís secure arrow holder. It didnít stick worth a darn, and then it seemed like the thing held so well that the arrow would bounce when the rest came up, making for some noise. I prefer their shelf pad.

The VT shelf pad isnít bad but itís gotta be cut to size, otherwise it wouldnít fit.

Seriously though, stealth strips are the best rest felt Iíve seen. Plus itís available in solid colors now.

Last edited by Kirby86; 09-27-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top