Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-28-2022, 02:17 AM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Good low cost pistol.

I know you get what you pay for but I was suggesting pistols to my mom that would be good for her to have. She has a rifle but she can't carry a rifle when mowing or doing things out in the yard. She don't want to spend a ton on a pistol and she don't need one that's gonna have a ton of recoil. I was suggesting guns that she might look at as an option but was drawing a blank. I'd like for her to have one she can put a light on because a lot of things that show up that need shot show up at night.

I suggested a Kel-Tec PMR30. It's got optic and light mounting capabilities and 30 rounds of .22mag is plenty for any nuisance she'll have in the yard. I just want her to have something that's reliable but she can pay for easily and will still get the job done on any varmint. Even the 2 legged kind.

I thought about maybe a .38 revolver like the Rock Island Armory M200. Problem with that is she may need to keep shooting and it doesn't hold as many bullets. She's a good shot but if there's a rattlesnake around she may need as many shots as she can get.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 03:17 AM   #2
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

One pistol I was recently impressed with was a Smith and Wesson Shield EZ .380.
Low amount of force needed to chamber a round, light recoil, 8+1 capacity. Pretty much designed for those with a lighter touch, dare I say women, in mind.

I was helping a lady friend with her shooting and that's what she brought.
Shooting it back to back to small 9's and I could see the draw to a full sized .380.

Today's .380 ammo is nothing to sneeze at, I know I don't want to get hit with one.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 03:39 AM   #3
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I had a sccy 9mm. Was cheap and shot really well. They have one now that comes with optics .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 04:07 AM   #4
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

As the old saying goes get a caliber you can get at the local store. Weapon of choice is the owners preference, whatever & that may be she is comfortable with and level of experience with said gun. Let her pick her own weapon of choice out but of course with some guidance if needed.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 05:33 AM   #5
BlessedVeteran0305
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I had a sccy 9mm. Was cheap and shot really well. They have one now that comes with optics .
My better half carries a purple sccy and she loves it.
BlessedVeteran0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #6
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I find that a 38 revolver with shot loads in the first round or two serves me pretty well for whatever I might run into.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #7
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
I find that a 38 revolver with shot loads in the first round or two serves me pretty well for whatever I might run into.
That was my thought as well when I suggested the .38 revolver. But where I can see that being a problem is she'll shoot a whole box of shotshells at a snake and never hit it. She's not going to get close enough to kill a snake with one of those. And even if she did it wouldn't take the head off of it. She needs something that will tear one up something awful with even a marginal hit. Those leave tiny holes and undoubtedly kills the snake. But I'd rather she has something that tears them in half or into three or four pieces or takes the head completely off. They can still bite after they're dead so my thinking is if she shoots one and it's still able to her dogs and herself can still get bit.

That's the only downside to that. I'd just get her a box of .38 hollowpoints if she were to get a revolver.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #8
Mission408
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brownwood

Might check out the dagger by palmetto state armory, seems to get good reviews
Mission408 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #9
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

I got my wife and daughter Walter PK 380s. They are light weight, accurate, easy for females to load the magazines and rack the slide. They were made for women. Both my wife and daughter are quite accurate with their guns. My daughter is very good with her PK 380. My wife heart shot a skunk in the yard, years ago, with her PK 380.

I have shot both of their PK 380s, I do very well with them. I am pretty impressed with them. I don't like small hand guns.

The gun I have wanted for a while, that might be a good choice for your mother is a Sig Mosquito. I think Walter/S&W makes a PK 22, it's a 22 version of the PK 380.

EEA, makes a 357 Mag revolver, I think it only comes in short barrel versions, I think 2", 4" and 6". But they are supposed to be good quality guns and low priced, if you can find one. Being a 357, she could load 38 Special in it. Then 38 or 357 Shot shells. Something like that I think would have the most versatility. Keep the gun loaded with hollow point +P rounds for the two legged problems, since she probably won't have time to change ammo if she encounters any of them. But then keep a handful of shot shell loads with the gun in the pocket, for snakes or other smaller critters.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
Voodoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Only thing better than a Glock 48 is one for each hand.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #11
okrattler
Pope & Young

Very good suggestions. I've shot a Smith and Wesson Shield,Glock and SCCY 9mm. Also the Kel-Tec PMR30.

The only thing I don't like on the first 3 mentioned is the sights. At least not for the shooting she'll be doing. My concern is they're too "blocky" and it may be hard to hit a smaller target at 15 feet or somewhere there abouts. She's fortunate enough that she'll get to test fire a few different pistols to see what she likes best and I'll be watching to see what she's more proficient with.

If she happens to like one and it's comfortable to shoot but has difficulty hitting her target I'll set her up with an optic on it.

What drew me to the Kel-Tec PMR30 is that she can put a light on it. Paired with the fiber optic sights I think it would be a good combo if she has to shoot at night. Also the amount of bullets it holds and low recoil. The drawback is that rimfire ammo can be somewhat unreliable.

Last edited by okrattler; 08-28-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #12
KY2TX
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas/Kentucky/Public

Taurus G2c/ good price and fits hand good without changing or adding to grip
KY2TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #13
soldierarcher
Four Point

Makarov 9mm, light, easy, cheap, effective.
soldierarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #14
Anon
Four Point

How does she plan on carrying it, owb, iwb, pocket, fanny pack? Is she going to have ear protection on her person too before blasting that snake?
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #15
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Hi point?
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #16
wilded
Ten Point

Have shot the heck out of a Taurus G2 compact and no problems.
wilded is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 11:05 AM   #17
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY2TX View Post
I almost forgot about this one. Or did forget actually. A buddy of mine has one and it shot very well. I busted a feral cat with it at about 25 yards the day he got it.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #18
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
How does she plan on carrying it, owb, iwb, pocket, fanny pack? Is she going to have ear protection on her person too before blasting that snake?
Most likely a holster. What kind I don't know for sure. She may carry around ear plugs but honestly I doubt it. But I've been around her when she sees a snake unexpectedly. Ain't nobody gonna be able to hear anything after the initial encounter over the sound of her screaming and cussin. By the time she gets back from running the snake may be gone anyway.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #19
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Spend $300 and get an M&P Shield or a Glock 48…last thing you want is to need it to go bang and it doesn’t…
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #20
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Taurus GX4, less than $300 and mine shoots everything I’ve tried in it. I have a red dot on mine but you can buy them with a normal slide. If you want the milled slide then get the GX4 TORO. More money but worth it if your eyes ain’t right, and mine ain’t !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #21
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX,Thurber & The "H" Some Years

The PMR30 would be a good choice but would look at a Ruger LCP2 Max. Great little pistol.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #22
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMedic View Post
Spend $300 and get an M&P Shield or a Glock 48…last thing you want is to need it to go bang and it doesn’t…
This. 100000x this. It blows my mind that folks rely on junk to protect them lol.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #23
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Where are the $300 48s at?
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 07:33 PM   #24
okrattler
Pope & Young

I agree that Glock makes a good pistol. No doubt about it. For me it would be fine but the thing I don't like about turning her loose with one is it doesn't have a safety except for the trigger. I'd rather she has one that she has to think a little about using. If she sees a rattlesnake she's gonna be stressed out. I don't want her to unholster the thing and just start shooting up the countryside without having to slow down and think a little before squeezing the trigger. Or risk her trying to holster it and shooting herself in the leg or the foot. With a safety she's gonna have that to think about instead of thinking about how scared she is. She's gonna have to chill out and think about what she's doing.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #25
Radar
Pope & Young

Get her a Taurus .410 Judge, it will kill snakes and all other kinds of chit.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 07:52 PM   #26
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Get her a Taurus .410 Judge, it will kill snakes and all other kinds of chit.
This!
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #27
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

If her hearing ain't bad yet- after a few rounds with a judge and no hearing protection- it will be soon enough.
I own and carry one from time to time (have killed rattle bugs and even a doe with it) , but dang that sucker is loud.

Last edited by DaveC; 08-28-2022 at 08:01 PM.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #28
okrattler
Pope & Young

My buddy had a Judge with a ported barrel. That would be fine but I don't know that she could get close enough to be very effective with the shotgun shells. She'd have a snake good and mad but probably unscathed. She'd do ok with the .45lc.

I've seen her shoot so I know she'll be able to hit whatever she's shooting at. If she'd pack that rifle around she wouldn't have any problems. I didn't even know my Mom could shoot until my brother and I were out shootin the .22 rifle one day. She wanted to shoot so we handed her the gun and she asked me what I wanted her to hit. I said "That bird out there." There was one that landed roughly 100 yards away. She put her cigarette in her mouth and took aim. That bird ducked right as she squeezed the trigger and the bullet hit right over it. I said "you got close." She said "Yeah I was trying to shoot it in the head." My brother and I looked at each other in disbelief and she went back to the house. I'll never forget that. She almost knocked that birds head off on purpose with open sights.

If she'd have tried shooting it in the body there wouldn't have been "close" to it. She would have dusted that thing.

Last edited by okrattler; 08-28-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #29
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Very good suggestions. I've shot a Smith and Wesson Shield,Glock and SCCY 9mm. Also the Kel-Tec PMR30.

The only thing I don't like on the first 3 mentioned is the sights. At least not for the shooting she'll be doing. My concern is they're too "blocky" and it may be hard to hit a smaller target at 15 feet or somewhere there abouts. She's fortunate enough that she'll get to test fire a few different pistols to see what she likes best and I'll be watching to see what she's more proficient with.

If she happens to like one and it's comfortable to shoot but has difficulty hitting her target I'll set her up with an optic on it.

What drew me to the Kel-Tec PMR30 is that she can put a light on it. Paired with the fiber optic sights I think it would be a good combo if she has to shoot at night. Also the amount of bullets it holds and low recoil. The drawback is that rimfire ammo can be somewhat unreliable.

You can also put optics on the pmr-30. Mine can been picky with ammo . Can’t remember what brand it didn’t like . It’s a dang accurate pistol .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #30
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY2TX View Post
This or the GX4....I have 2 G2cs,1 G3c and a GX4
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #31
Bigfootwolff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

Like someone else said, the Glock 48 or Smith & Wesson Shield are reliable pistols. Academy is running a sale on the Smith & Wesson Shield Plus with the thumb safety for $399, and they come with 10 round and 13 round magazines.
https://www.academy.com/p/smith-and-...pistol?sku=9mm
Bigfootwolff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #32
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

So she’s a good shot but you think she can’t hit a snake with a shotshell ?
Old 08-28-2022, 11:03 PM   #33
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Where are the $300 48s at?
That’s what I want to know lol
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 11:06 PM   #34
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
So she’s a good shot but you think she can’t hit a snake with a shotshell ?
She won't get close enough. I've shot snakes with CCI shot shells and .410 out of a pistol and you have to be pretty close to do any good. I'm not scared of snakes so I literally put the barrel two feet from ones head at one point and it still didn't blow the head off of it. Bullets are better for just about everything if you're using a pistol.

At 15 feet you might hit a snake with shotshells out of a pistol. But it won't be enough to splatter them.

Last edited by okrattler; 08-28-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #35
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
You can also put optics on the pmr-30. Mine can been picky with ammo . Can’t remember what brand it didn’t like . It’s a dang accurate pistol .
I've shot two different ones and really liked them. But like any .22mag pistol they are loud. One wouldn't think so when they hear .22mag or see the bullets but they really are a special kind of loud. Out of a pistol I mean.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #36
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell8 View Post
Hi point?
My experience with Hi-Point firearms is pretty limited. But from what I do have they're reasonably priced for what you get. Not very pretty by no means but I never had a malfunction in the pistol I shot or the carbine my brother had. But given their reputation I don't feel comfortable with my mom relying on one. If it was for me I'd be willing to try one out.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:46 PM   #37
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home and wherever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMedic View Post

Where’s them $300. Glock 48s at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 11:47 PM   #38
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
Like someone else said, the Glock 48 or Smith & Wesson Shield are reliable pistols. Academy is running a sale on the Smith & Wesson Shield Plus with the thumb safety for $399, and they come with 10 round and 13 round magazines.
https://www.academy.com/p/smith-and-...pistol?sku=9mm
I'll pass the word on to her and see what she thinks. That's one I don't have or have access to so she can try it out before she buys it. I'd like to see what she can do with different pistols without my assistance. Meaning loading the gun,racking the slide and everything.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:04 AM   #39
Raider4044
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
This. 100000x this. It blows my mind that folks rely on junk to protect them lol.

No ****! Surely your life is at least worth the $4-500 a decent pistol would cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider4044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 12:29 AM   #40
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
She won't get close enough. I've shot snakes with CCI shot shells and .410 out of a pistol and you have to be pretty close to do any good. I'm not scared of snakes so I literally put the barrel two feet from ones head at one point and it still didn't blow the head off of it. Bullets are better for just about everything if you're using a pistol.

At 15 feet you might hit a snake with shotshells out of a pistol. But it won't be enough to splatter them.
I kill copperheads at 9-12' with 22shot shells.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #41
jdg13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

I've got a Ruger Security 9. Goes bang every time, hits where I point it. I absolutely hate the way glocks feel, the ruger is the same size as a G19 and feels great to me, subjective as that is. Think I paid $350 for it. Girlfriend has the shield and its alright too.
jdg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #42
JuDGe
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Concho and Runnels

Quote:
I suggested a Kel-Tec PMR30.

These are very loud and might be to unpleasant/uncomfortable for her. An older gentleman I work with bought one on a recommendation from his son. Took it to the range once and found it to be too much even with good ear pro. He's pretty adamant that he has permanent hearing loss now so the pistol is locked away and probably won't see daylight again until his son inherits it.
JuDGe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 09:34 AM   #43
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

You don’t have to spend $500 to get a decent pistol. Don’t condemn what you don’t know. I own Glocks, S&Ws, Rugers, Taurus, Colts, and Browning. If they aren’t good, I don’t keep them. I’d put my Taurus GX4 up against any other carry pistol I own. Many rounds with no failures !
Old 08-29-2022, 09:50 AM   #44
Hunterdan

Hunt In: South Texas

Check out the PSA Dagger!
Hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #45
Anon
Four Point

I feel like the smaller and lighter (easier to carry) the more likely you are to have it on you...the new ruger max .380 is like 11oz’s..kel tec p32 is like 7 oz’s
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #46
Jon B
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Taurus makes good stuff at a pretty affordable rate.
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #47
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

Hard to beat a 38 Special or 357 snub nose revolver. Easy to conceal, easy to use, easy to load, cant jam. I have nicer S&W revolvers but my go to ranch pistol is a $325 Taurus 357 snub nose that stays on my hip. Gets dusty and dirty mowing on tractor but always works. Can load rat shots for snakes or lighter low recoil rounds for those who want them.

https://www.academy.com/p/taurus-605...agnum-revolver
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #48
txlawdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lawdog Ranch Leakey TX in Real County

Quote:
Most likely a holster. What kind I don't know for sure. She may carry around ear plugs but honestly I doubt it. But I've been around her when she sees a snake unexpectedly. Ain't nobody gonna be able to hear anything after the initial encounter over the sound of her screaming and cussin. By the time she gets back from running the snake may be gone anyway.
If she is mowing she should be wearing ear plugs around already. Those lawnmowers may not seem loud but accumulative damage will get you later. I used to be a machinist and wore ear plugs many years ago. Coworkers looked at me like I was crazy or sissy. They probably can't hear thunder now.
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #49
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Only thing better than a Glock 48 is one for each hand.
Or a single SIG M18
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #50
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

The little Bersa Thunder 380 is a fun little gun. Very safe and reliable and easy to operate SA/DA. Not sure what they cost now. When I bought mine they were $300 + tax.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top