Going Primal in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
    I was about to say the same thing….sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I’m not sure if this is your first time traveling internationally or not, but here’s a suggestion: take a small handful (say, 30 to 50) of a Texas novelty item to use as a small “regalo” to give those you meet a small remembrance of you or to give as a gesture of thanks to those who perform a small service for you. People from other countries recognize our state more than any others in the U.S. and still tend to romanticize it; they seem to really enjoy receiving a small representation of Texas.

When we travel we take along things like ball caps, church keys, hat pins, etc. All in the shape of the state, all painted, imprinted, or embroidered with the state flag.

Note: I’d check with your outfitter before doing this to make sure it is in keeping with the local customs or that it won’t be seen as a political “faux pas.”
    You were a Girl Scout weren't ya?

Comment

Man that looks awesome! Hope you have an amazing time and take pics. Specs? Including bows, arrows, broadheads?

Comment

you will have the time of your life. Africa gets in your blood. Its the only hunting trip I've ever gone on that I can honestly say I wasn't ready to go on the final day.

Good luck and straight shots!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I have a composition notebook packed for that. My budget isn't the issue. Just don't have the space for a bunch of stuffed heads on the wall. There are some other hunts I'd like to do before I get too old including a couple here that are so stupidly priced anymore that Africa seems like a steal.
          Outfitter said the same thing about clothes but it's every two to three days on the laundry. I have had to repack 3 times since July just because the forecast is warmer and warmer all the time. Guess I'll get there just in time for the black mambas to get active.:0
          Man I can’t wait for your recap! It’s crazy, I love hearing about everyone else’s hunts but I’m not good at sharing my own. Everyone has pre conceived notions on what Africa is like and what they want to shoot or not. Be sure to let your ph know that if you see a amazing trophy to let you know. You have to take what africa gives you! Look into global rescue insurance, it’s a small price to pay if things go bad.

Comment

I’m in the same boat as you, my trophy room is full. I have learned that a very good photo or video is as good or better than the taxidermy. In reality all you can take with you is the memories you make while you are here. Taxidermy will just be sold or given away after we have passed to the happy hunting grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedAg08 View Post
              Man that looks awesome! Hope you have an amazing time and take pics. Specs? Including bows, arrows, broadheads?
              Two Primal Tech bows. A 58" two piece longbow that is 55@28. The other is a 60" three piece and I'll have both long kw and recurve limbs with me. They are 50@27". I draw right at 27.5 inches. Arrows are discontinued Beman Centershots cut 30.5 inches long with 150 grains up front. Broadheads are Carbon Express Piledrivers, Magnus Stingers and some German Jagers. The latter are for any opportunities at things like, monkeys. All heads are 150 grains except the Jagers and they are 145 but will wear a 5 grain brass collar to make up for it.
              I have some wood arrows as well and they'll have either have some 160 grain VPAs or 160 grain ACE Standards up front.
              With any luck they'll get a taste of blood too.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                I’m in the same boat as you, my trophy room is full. I have learned that a very good photo or video is as good or better than the taxidermy. In reality all you can take with you is the memories you make while you are here. Taxidermy will just be sold or given away after we have passed to the happy hunting grounds.
                Heck my wife will just pile it on the curb.

Last edited by DRT; 08-28-2022, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Don't watch Beast!

Comment

One last piece of advice is not to get too caught up in the hunting. I’m a very driven person and can be too focused on the objective. Go and embrace the the adventure, soak it all up! The hunting is just the icing on the cake

Comment

This is so awesome, Gary. Very happy for you. I know you'll savor the experience and bring back great memories as well amazing trophies. Good luck, and have fun, buddy!

Comment

I'll focus on killing because that's what I do. That said the shot is only a small (but critical) part of the process. The sounds, the smells, the landscape. Looking forward to enjoying something I may never see again so yeah, I'll soak it up.

Comment

DRT, I will be 24 hours behind you. Leaving on Friday. We are stoked. We have way too many clothes packed and about everything under the sun. We are hunting with rifles and currently have Gemsbok, Zebra, Warthog, Impala and Blesbok on the list. If we can sneak south for a springbok we intend to. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Good hunting to y'all too Jon. Those will be some nice trophy's to take.

Comment

Good luck bro! I’ll make that trip one day….

Comment

Sounds great man! Looking forward to the pictures of your prowess!

Comment

Working...
                                X