Wood arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood arrows

So I've jumped off in the rabbit hole and am trying not to spiral out of control on the way down.
    Bought two dozen. Two spines for two bow set ups. Well, turns out the arrows shoot fantastic after some tweaking. Mainly increases in point weight.
    So, the heavier spine arrows have had a toll taken on them due to attrition and I just got the bow to utilize the lighter spine. That said they are good quality arrows and I plan to use the lighter spine/bow for competition. That said the heavier set will be used to draw blood. Hopefully some in Africa in tenn days or so.
    So I either need to buy another set of sweet looking, well made sticks or build my own, which is the route I'm going for hunting arrows. I'll start with pre-finished shafts and deal with nocks, points and wild turkey fletching on my own. I've always stunk at the paint and varnish thing anyway. Maybe later I'll dig deeper in it.
    So here I go. See ya on the other side.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Wood arrows

Have fun!!! Nothing about building wood arrows interests me one bit!!!!!

Bisch

P.S. - I wish you’d get over there and start killing stuff. You’re starting to ramble!!!!!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m getting closer to that rabbit hole myself. I just ordered another dozen but am thinking of doing a dozen tapered cedars. Then I contemplated flint knapping……

I originally planned on shooting one bow and being proficient with it. They quickly multiplied like gremlins and water!

Comment

Funny thing is I shot and hunted with wood arrows for 19 years before a friend guided me (read corrupted my mind) towards carbons.
        I used Port Orford cedar, Douglas fir and ash with good results.
        The difficulty of finding and purchasing consistant grades of wood became a challenge.
        I enjoy the reliability of good carbon shafts and I doubt I'll return to wood anytime soon.

Comment

I had to go 145s on the greenies. But they are so sweet flying now. No wag. Just a purty spiral.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsehide View Post
            Funny thing is I shot and hunted with wood arrows for 19 years before a friend guided me (read corrupted my mind) towards carbons.
            I used Port Orford cedar, Douglas fir and ash with good results.
            The difficulty of finding and purchasing consistant grades of wood became a challenge.
            I enjoy the reliability of good carbon shafts and I doubt I'll return to wood anytime soon.
            Let me guess. Same fella charmed you into a recurve???

Comment

So…
              Whats your heavy spine attrition rate?
              How many wood arrows are you taking to Africa?
              How many carbon arrows are you taking to Africa?
              How many bows are you taking to Africa?
              What is your target game?
              Whats your arrow composition break down? Overall weight for what bow poundage, FOC, gpp, etc.

I look forward to the LDPs Gary.
              Good skilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                So…
                Whats your heavy spine attrition rate?
                How many wood arrows are you taking to Africa?
                How many carbon arrows are you taking to Africa?
                How many bows are you taking to Africa?
                What is your target game?
                Whats your arrow composition break down? Overall weight for what bow poundage, FOC, gpp, etc.

I look forward to the LDPs Gary.
                Good skilling.
                Lotta questions.
                Two bows, 7 wood, 24 carbon. All that other stuff takes calculating.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Lotta questions.
                  Two bows, 7 wood, 24 carbon. All that other stuff takes calculating.

Well… whats on the kill list?
                  I reckon youve a ballpark figure on arrow weight.

Comment

I'll start a thread next week on the hunt with the particulars.
                    As far as arrows I don't have an arrow scale yet but the carbons are Beman Centershot 340s. At 30.5" and standard aluminum inserts I should be right at 496 grains with an FoC of around 16%. There are several broadheads in the box but my go to will be the Carbon Express Piledriver. 150 grains and an inch and a half wide. The woods will have some VPA three blade 160s and if they arrive in time some ACE standards in 160 grain. The woods will not be my primary hunting arrow. And they are a short range game as they are Doug fir and heavy. They take a nose dive after 20 yards.

Comment

You sir, have the pre hunt jitters! It generally manifests as an inability to focus on anything work related, and a total fascination with a million "good ideas" about your upcoming season. Enjoy it, that's what I try to do.

Just don't let the good idea fairy trick you into making a bad gear decision... like changing tabs two days before your flight, or other such garbage.

Comment

Get some tapered arrow shafts and enjoy.
                        Plenty of good sources for quality woods that are spine and weight matched.
                        Been shooting woodies for maybe 25 years now.

Comment

Why tapered?

Comment

Tapered shafts supposedly recover faster from paradox, as the front portion of the arrow flexes less. You also get a slightly more weight forward.
                            Tapered shafts were my go-to for many years, with good success.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsehide View Post
                              Tapered shafts supposedly recover faster from paradox, as the front portion of the arrow flexes less. You also get a slightly more weight forward.
                              Tapered shafts were my go-to for many years, with good success.
                              Until the King pin corrupted you!

Comment

Working...
                              X