Social Security questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security questions

This may be lengthy, so I’ll apologize up front. I’m trying to help my Dad. First, he doesn’t do computers or technology, and is uneasy about doing things online/electronically. He applied for his social security back in April, and still hasn’t gotten a check. I didn’t know, but he couldn’t get an in person appointment, so he did it over the phone. To my understanding after he inquired they sent a letter to inform you when your appointment is and contact you on that date. So supposedly they set it all up. It’s now August and he still hasn’t gotten a check. They told him it’s on hold due to child support. Well, he worked for the government his entire career and child support was automatically withdrawn every paycheck. I’m trying to help him figure this out. For one, I’m hoping he didn’t get scammed, does SS office do by phone appointments? Question two, anyone have any advice to help me navigate this? I’m trying to get him to let me help him make an online account, so maybe I could help him check the status. Getting anyone on the phone has been a challenge from what he is telling me. If you made it to the end, thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated!

As much as i hate to say it, get in touch with a Social Security attorney. Contingency based so will pay a small percentage only if awarded. It's worth it to have someone familiar with the process compile all the necessary info and present to SSA. I was a SS/Disability case manager for Jim adler for a short while. Hated the low-lifes trying to scam the system (who i was paid to "go to bat" for) but occasionally there were rewarding cases where people genuinely needed help and were having issues with the system, like your father.

EDIT: Yes. They do appointments over the phone.
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 08-16-2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
      This may be lengthy, so I’ll apologize up front. I’m trying to help my Dad. First, he doesn’t do computers or technology, and is uneasy about doing things online/electronically. He applied for his social security back in April, and still hasn’t gotten a check. I didn’t know, but he couldn’t get an in person appointment, so he did it over the phone. To my understanding after he inquired they sent a letter to inform you when your appointment is and contact you on that date. So supposedly they set it all up. It’s now August and he still hasn’t gotten a check. They told him it’s on hold due to child support. Well, he worked for the government his entire career and child support was automatically withdrawn every paycheck. I’m trying to help him figure this out. For one, I’m hoping he didn’t get scammed, does SS office do by phone appointments? Question two, anyone have any advice to help me navigate this? I’m trying to get him to let me help him make an online account, so maybe I could help him check the status. Getting anyone on the phone has been a challenge from what he is telling me. If you made it to the end, thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated!
      this will help alot once you get an account to see what his status is.

Comment

I turn 62 this November, I went to the ss office last week to apply for my ss benefits, they gave me a number to call and they set me up with a phone appointment for Sept 7. after that I should stsrt receiving my first check in January,

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          As much as i hate to say it, get in touch with a Social Security attorney. Contingency based so will pay a small percentage only if awarded. It's worth it to have someone familiar with the process compile all the necessary info and present to SSA. I was a SS/Disability case manager for Jim adler for a short while. Hated the low-lifes trying to scam the system (who i was paid to "go to bat" for) but occasionally there were rewarding cases where people genuinely needed help and were having issues with the system, like your father.

EDIT: Yes. They do appointments over the phone.
          He wants to wait a little longer, but appreciate your advice and hoping it doesn’t come to that.

Comment

If you have a decent congressman that should be your first step. They have aids that help people with these issues all the time

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
              I turn 62 this November, I went to the ss office last week to apply for my ss benefits, they gave me a number to call and they set me up with a phone appointment for Sept 7. after that I should stsrt receiving my first check in January,
              Thanks for the info. That kinda eases my mind a little. I was afraid he may have been taken advantage of. The more research I do, the more I hear that phone appointments are normal and so are the delays.

Comment

I had good luck on the phone. I wasn't missing checks but was late for getting Medicare. They straitened it all out over the phone and even sent me money that I had coming for 2 months. It think they are like the irs. Different reps will give you different answers.

Comment

he needs to have all his bank info, ready when they call.

Comment

“We’re from the government and we’re here to help you.” Words that should strike fear in all men.

I’m in the process of getting signed up for SS. I wish I had some insight to give you but unfortunately I don’t. I tried to figure out how to sign up on line but I don’t have a computer, just my phone. I gave up and called them. It took 45 minutes before I was finally able to talk to somebody. They never gave me the option to do it by phone. The lady just gave me an appointment two months out to go to the local office. The next day I tried signing up on line again and finally figured out was I was doing wrong. Hopefully it will go through. We’ll see. I have no faith in anything run by the gubment.
                    I went through some nightmarish stuff with Medicare so I don’t figure SS will be any better.
                    Btw, the thing I was doing wrong was I kept trying to set up an online account with them and it kept failing. Turned out I already had one from when I got on Medicare and had forgot about it. Once I figured that out it was pretty easy.
                    Good luck.

Comment

The YouTube channel Disability Digest has a ton of resources on the web page. They even offer services to SSDI/SSI. He probably already has a video that has some of your answers.

I called them for help a month ago. They were eger to help till I said Oilfield experiences they ghosted me. So they dot work with a Bad industry I guess. Over the past several years being Ghosted is very normal.

Comment

Would he allow you to do this online for him, seems the easiest way to get this rolling?

Comment

Once you get your online account set up, things go pretty smooth. Just getting the account set up it frustrating.

Comment

Wow, I hear talk about getting lawyers and congressman.....geez. It is very easy and I don't like computers either. First, I made an account with SS in May. Already got my June and July checks automatically deposited in my account. Don't waste your time on an appointment. Your dad has already missed checks, money he can't recover. Do it today.

Comment

I know you stated he was uneasy about online processes. But you can set him up an account on My Social Security to see if there has been any activity on his account. This will also show his lifetime of earnings etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X