Why do people kill themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people kill themselves

Just had a friend kill her self last week. Would have never expected that from her. Over the years had another buddy kill himself and another one try to, then after he cut his wrist called 911 for help and they were able to save him.

I imagine everyone has their reasons, most we probably will never fully understand.

But what are some of common reasons? Years of depression, not fitting in, not being able to relate to people, trauma that they can never get over.

They see No way out…. They are missing a greater hope. I won’t pretend to know what they deal with, but in the end it all comes down to No outcome is better to them

Comment

I have to think some kind of mental health disorder. I just can’t understand how big of problems someone could be having to think taking their own life is the only out.

Comment

Very hard to understand. I don’t think you can until your there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Boogieman View Post
          I have to think some kind of mental health disorder. I just can’t understand how big of problems someone could be having to think taking their own life is the only out.
          I would like to think this but sometimes these are spur of the moment deals. I had a good friend in High School shoot himself an hour after a girl told him she was pregnant. All District Catcher. All District Linebacker.

Comment

Depression / mental disorder isn't something you can really articulate to those who won't ever experience it...suicide is a devastating situation for the survivors as well. It can affect generations to a family. Super complicated topic.

Comment

We can't know some things

Comment

Had a buddy that seemed to have a great life do that. Not sure what tripped. I have worked many. The finality of it all scares the heck out of me.

Comment

They don’t think there is any hope left with whatever situation they’re going through.

Depression can be powerful

Comment

Generally demons.

Though, we're all going to die. Some just choose when they do.

Comment

Different reasons I suppose. Everyone I've known that's done it wouldn't have had they not been under the influence of drugs or alcohol or a combination of both. Which makes sense. I don't think anyone that's half way in their right state of mind could do something like that.

I can't understand doing it over something like going through a divorce or breaking up with your significant other. Or having to go back to jail like my neighbor who chose suicide over that.

I can understand being sick and knowing you aren't going to live and choosing not to go out that way. There are some instances where I can see how it could be an easier thing to do.

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'm no psychologist, but most people I've talked to about the subject of suicide have told me that at some point in their life, they have thought about suicide. I can only remember ever meeting one person who said they never have, and I remember being surprised by it. So I think almost anybody could tell you, based on their personal experience, why a person might commit suicide. Just take whatever reason anybody has ever had for thinking about it, and intensify it to the degree necessary to push them over the edge and do it.

I think a feeling of hopelessness is a big contributing factor. People can put up with a lot of suffering if they know there's a pay off at the end. It's when there's not a pay off that suffering loses all redeeming qualities. I think people need purpose and hope to keep going. A lot of people lose it in old age when their spouse dies or their friends start dying off. Or they get a terminal illness.

Some people, like Robin Williams, just get exhausted with a life of struggle and don't want to keep struggling. They're just done. This sort of thing can be brought on my chronic depression, anxiety, physical pain, or even bad circumstances that won't go away.

Some people do it in the moment because of some impossible situation they find themselves in. The grief is so overwhelming, they can't look to whatever hope there might be on the other side of it. Maybe their kid died. Maybe their wife cheated on them. Maybe they've made a big mistake and are about to get caught. I saw a video one time of a guy running from the cops. There was a helicopter filming him, and he stopped in a field and shot himself.

Comment

Most will truly never know what crossed their minds in that last second. A permanent ending to temporary problems is never good.

I agree with okrattler, being sick and not wanting to suffer or drag your family through a long illness I can understand

Comment

No matter how you look at it,it's disturbing. But what I absolutely can't understand is the people that choose to take others out with them. If that's the end result don't take other people's lives that have nothing to do with it.

On the other hand,I know this won't be a popular opinion but I mean lets say a mans wife cheats on him. Ok well the best solution is to find another woman. But if you're compelled to shoot her and then shoot yourself just count to 3 and don't.....shoot yourself. I get shootin her that's totally understandable. But all isn't lost. Yes, you'll do prison time. But you may get out. Take the time you're given to educate yourself,maybe get in touch with your artistic side and get in the best shape you've ever been in, in your entire life. If you get out finding another woman should be no problem. And the best part about it is she'll think twice about cheatin on ya. There's a silver lining in every cloud. You have to look really hard to see the good in every situation but it's there......

But aside from that don't just walk into Wal-Mart or a school and start killing folks the next time you're sad. That's just crazy. Makes no sense.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 08-13-2022, 11:02 PM.

Comment

in my opinion, one of the common factors of people who commit suicide is they don't have a strong enough relationship with the Lord. He will NEVER turn his back on you, and the Lord will never give you more than you can't handle. Sure, life is tough at times, but it ALWAYS gets better through prayer and support from family, friends, and loved ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X