Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County
Default A little bow season advice...learned the hard way

For the guys and gals that are just getting into bow hunting.....

There is nothing more exciting than having all of your work and planning come together and a deer actually steps into your shooting lane within bow range.

Your heart will be pounding in your head, you'll forget to breathe, you'll already visualize seeing the deer fall within sight. You already know who you're going to call and tell the story to!

Unfortunately, our desire to accomplish this goal can override our common sense when it comes to taking a good shot.

When I was a new bowhunter I was obsessed with getting that first deer on the ground. I never saw it coming.

You will be tempted to take a shot that is less than ethical or perfect. And when you do, you will probably pay dearly. Don't do it! I promise you that the sickening feeling of touching off the trigger on your release and not being able to bring that arrow back from a bad shot will haunt you for quite a while. Don't rush the shot. Don't take a marginal shot (quartering towards you, quartering too hard away, walking away, facing you head on).

You will end up like me. Trailing a deer that you will never find. Following a weak blood trail on hands and knees with a dying flashlight. Going back out the next day for a grid search. Telling everybody you don't know what happened...the shot looked good. Knowing in your heart that it was a crappy shot and you wanted that deer so bad that you "took your chances".

Learn from my mistakes and the ones before you. DO NOT LET YOUR EXCITEMENT AND "BOW FEVER" MAKE YOU TAKE A SHOT ON A DEER THAT ISN'T BROADSIDE OR QUARTERED AWAY.

The short-lived excitement of releasing the arrow will quickly be washed away by the disappointment, disgust, and guilt.

I will share my story real quick:

Hunting on my first real deer lease in Kerrville. I had a nice 8 pt. that I wanted REALLY bad. He was nothing special to most folks...115-120" deer.

Name:  hi8tbh2.jpg
Views: 5075
Size:  6.8 KB

But I wanted him. And everything came together perfectly. He came in to 20 yards and started eating. As I got my bow drawn and situated out of the blind window, he started walking away from the feeder. I have no idea why. He wasn't spooked...just leaving. I decided that he wasn't going to get away. He was mine. I took a hard quartering away shot at about 30 yards. I forgot to aim far back in the ribs since he was almost facing away from me. I put one right through his front shoulder and it came out in front of the off shoulder. He ran off. I was sick for days...knowing that I had wounded that deer and he was out there suffering because of my rookie mistake.

Luckily, another TBH'er and lease member saw the deer hobbling on 3 legs a few weeks later. He was skinny and barely getting around. He put him down with a rifle and was nice enough to give me the horns. He did me a big favor because those rattling horns are a constant reminder of the heartache involved in rushing a shot or taking an unethical shot vs. waiting for a high percentage shot on a calm, still deer.

I hope this helps at least one person think twice before turning an arrow loose.

Last edited by Chew; 09-23-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

great write up.
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Firefyter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Nice story, Chew. Glad to see you back into the swing of TBH. Hope all is well and will continue prayers for you.
Firefyter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Great write up and great points.

Closer is better.
If you have to think about it he's probably too far away.
The GOOD shot will come, just wait for it.

Great post CHEW!
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
krausejmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Tx

Thanks for bringing this up, I also made a rushed shot on my first bow deer but got lucky and spined her and got her quickly with a follow up shot. I was in such a hurry I didn't see that I was not clear of the window in the popup and it nicked it on the way out. Thanks for the reminder Chew
krausejmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Outlaw442
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

I keep telling myself it won't happen though I keep worrying with each day closer we get. I am glad you posted this as another reminder to keep my cool. Thanks
Outlaw442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
SgtRock
Six Point

Hunt In: Archer and Collin County

Excellent advise Chew.
SgtRock is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County

if I had it to do over again, thanks Bobby. Dangit.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
SplitG2
Four Point

Hunt In: Chester Tx, Moscow Tx, Jasper Tx, Woodville Tx, Angelina National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
For the guys and gals that are just getting into bow hunting.....

There is nothing more exciting than having all of your work and planning come together and a deer actually steps into your shooting lane within bow range.

Your heart will be pounding in your head, you'll forget to breathe, you'll already visualize seeing the deer fall within sight. You already know who you're going to call and tell the story to!

Unfortunately, our desire to accomplish this goal can override our common sense when it comes to taking a good shot.

When I was a new bowhunter I was obsessed with getting that first deer on the ground. I never saw it coming.

You will be tempted to take a shot that is less than ethical or perfect. And when you do, you will probably pay dearly. Don't do it! I promise you that the sickening feeling of touching off the trigger on your release and not being able to bring that arrow back from a bad shot will haunt you for quite a while. Don't rush the shot. Don't take a marginal shot (quartering towards you, quartering too hard away, walking away, facing you head on).

You will end up like me. Trailing a deer that you will never find. Following a weak blood trail on hands and knees with a dying flashlight. Going back out the next day for a grid search. Telling everybody you don't know what happened...the shot looked good. Knowing in your heart that it was a crappy shot and you wanted that deer so bad that you "took your chances".

Learn from my mistakes and the ones before you. DO NOT LET YOUR EXCITEMENT AND "BOW FEVER" MAKE YOU TAKE A SHOT ON A DEER THAT ISN'T BROADSIDE OR QUARTERED AWAY.

The short-lived excitement of releasing the arrow will quickly be washed away by the disappointment, disgust, and guilt.

I will share my story real quick:

Hunting on my first real deer lease in Kerrville. I had a nice 8 pt. that I wanted REALLY bad. He was nothing special to most folks...115-120" deer.

Attachment 270333

But I wanted him. And everything came together perfectly. He came in to 20 yards and started eating. As I got my bow drawn and situated out of the blind window, he started walking away from the feeder. I have no idea why. He wasn't spooked...just leaving. I decided that he wasn't going to get away. He was mine. I took a hard quartering away shot at about 30 yards. I forgot to aim far back in the ribs since he was almost facing away from me. I put one right through his front shoulder and it came out in front of the off shoulder. He ran off. I was sick for days...knowing that I had wounded that deer and he was out there suffering because of my rookie mistake.

Luckily, another TBH'er and lease member saw the deer hobbling on 3 legs a few weeks later. He was skinny and barely getting around. He put him down with a rifle and was nice enough to give me the horns. He did me a big favor because those rattling horns are a constant reminder of the heartache involved in rushing a shot or taking an unethical shot vs. waiting for a high percentage shot on a calm, still deer.

I hope this helps at least one person think twice before turning an arrow loose.
Awsome thread. Simply motivating to do the right thing.
SplitG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
J-Bone
Pope & Young

Very good point! Not thinking about the shot from start through finish, will end disastrously. It's an unfortunate lesson that is all too often learned the hard way. Like Chew, I made that rookie mistake my first year of bowhunting, and vowed to never let it happen again. Since then I have, unfortunately, had a few bad shots, but none that were "stupid shots". This should be brought up often as a reminder to all the new bowhunters that join us!
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Jackson357
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto,Tx

I have never met you Chew but you are a wise man. Great story!
Jackson357 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
sector42
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere, Anytime

Good reminder. It is always hard to let that big one walk away, but it only gives you a reason to hunt more and harder. I'm glad you posted this, it will give me something to think about for the next week. Mental preparation goes a long way towards a successful hunt.
sector42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

I am waiting on my first...
This will be my third year without so much as drawing my bow.
My grouping are nice and tight, FWIW...
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Great post I lost my first with a bow because of rushing the shot and backing out and giving the deer time
ElfEyes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Bill M
Pope & Young

Good thread Bobby.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
donfish84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Laredo/Florence

Great great post. I constantly talk myself thru every shot. Your normal routine. Cause if I don't the excitement during the shot overwhelms me. Then leads to poor judgment. Then thats when bad things happen. No matter what Animal i shooting at. Breath and take your time.
donfish84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

I'll add to this and it isn't restricted to the new bow hunter. I've been bowhunting since I was 12 I'm now 27. That means I have now hunted longer than I haven't Last year I had the opportunity to get on a true trophy lease. I have taken some nice deer but never a BIG one. I started getting velvet pics of this buck and watched him grow from a "management buck" to a mid 150's 11pt

After 3 encounters with the buck 1 at 5 yards I finally got my chance. I had just drawn on a 130 class 8pt and decided to not shoot the biggest deer I'd ever drawn on because that evening felt RIGHT. If this mature 8 was in the corn at 4:30 that big one might come in. That thought had no more than gone through my head when I looked up the hill and he was coming!

I had prayed several times that this deer come in a certain way. "God if you'll just make that buck do this I'll handle the rest" and that's EXACTLY what that buck did. He walked behind the mesquite and I drew. He was only 14 yards, a CHIP SHOT! He was in a steady walk and I put my 20yd pin a grunt low. I told myself to grunt and stop him and immediately stopped myself and shot the buck walking, after all he was only 14 yards!

I watched the arrow go in just in front of his flank. Praying for a liver hit I watched him bed down for 2 hrs until dark. I left him alone over night and returned early the next morning to only find 2 golf ball size spots of blood. I called Matt McWilliams and Smoke out and in spite of the dog and owner's famed reputation 4.5hrs later we still hadn't found the deer. This trail of events can be searched on the forum.

I was ABSOLUTELY destroyed. I almost gave up bowhunting all together. I made the decision to take a walking shot and lost possibly the biggest buck I'll ever encounter. If it hadn't been for "Keep" giving me a good talk via PM I very likely may have. This buck haunts my dreams. Well not the buck I guess but the decision to take a walking shot. I dot care how many times you see it on the Outdoor Channel DON'T DO IT!!!

Here's the buck I lost...

jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

Great thread Bobby.

It's true, been there myself and it's a gut wrenching feeling. Had it happen a couple of weeks ago on a nice Red Deer. After hunting hard for 2 days and having maybe 30 seconds before I draw, I rushed my shot and dropped my bow arm. 30 yard chip shot caught him very low. Trailed him the next day for 500+ yards then he quit bleeding.

He's still alive and I'll have my rematch with him. Other times for me and other folks, aren't that lucky to have a 2nd chance. The deer will go off to die without the well deserved respect of the animal that it so deserves.

Even if you've got them in at 20 yards and you think to yourself, "I practice at 40 yards, this deer is mine". That isn't always the case. I've had deer at 20 yards +/- for over 30 minutes before and NEVER had a good clean shot opportunity. Always another deer in the way when the one I want is turning broadside, a tree in the way... always something. Those are difficult because you have so long to study the animal so close and you will be nervous and likely rush the shot. ALWAYS take your time and give the animal the respect of a good, clean well placed shot for a quick humane kill. After all, no one wants to track a deer all night... I like 'em that are down within sight!

Good luck everyone this season, wear your safety harness, keep your phone on you and ALWAYS let someone else know where you're going and what time you should be home.

Pick a hair and hit it! Stay safe y'all!

Last edited by Tubby; 09-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=174956

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=175599

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=177801

These 3 threads send chills running up my spine. It's been a full year and I think about it every day! In all honesty the feeling is comparable to losing a close family member...
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
tsu1998
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Great read and advice!
tsu1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
gargetter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co.,Africa

How true,great writeup!
gargetter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
Jp.
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Great thread, and reminder for everyone.
Jp. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Thanks for being a great steward of the sport Chew.
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

Great post Chew - truer words were never spoken! The "brain fog" that sets in is incredible. After you screw up you look back and say "#$!@!#! how long have I been preparing for that moment? How could I blow it like that?" The one thing that helps me - and I still do it - is to practice my breathing and pre-shot routine when young deer come in that I don't want to shoot - pick a spot, wait for the right angle, etc.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #25
native_texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado and Edwards Counties

There are a lot of lucky hunters to have read your post of your gut-wrenching experience and even a humble admission that you messed up as a new bow hunter. Those same people are even luckier if they follow your advice and not commit the same error. Then these same people are finally really lucky to have been here on the green screen and have read your post. You are one fine man, brother, and hunter Bobby Chew .... God bless you man.

Last edited by native_texan; 09-23-2011 at 09:25 PM.
native_texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
leebtattoos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: lampasas, sabinal, and where ever i can

Yup. Great post. I had it happen a few years back. Still makes me sick
leebtattoos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #27
mTn hunting
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can!

Thanks!
mTn hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
jathomas437
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

Nice write up for sure! Been there and done that too, many years ago. Made a rookie move and shot at a doe in a hurry due to major adrenaline. I should have ranged her first, but I just made a guess and ended up making a brisket shot. She ended up standing about 28 yards out and I used my 20 yard pin, duh... Blood trail was a drop about every 5 feet for what seemed to be miles. 4 hours later, we threw in the towel, I knew it was a poorly placed shot and she would heal up. I was so depressed, I didn't go back out for several days. I now let my heart race when I see a deer and calm myself down after a few minutes if he/she stays in range long enough. I won't make a shot anymore if I can't calm down to make a steady and well placed shot.
jathomas437 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #29
Bonesplitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty,Hardin,Uvalde, Leakey and Rebel's Honky Tonk

Great advice and when you do have a shot present itself dont just anchor and let it fly when the pin is on the deer. Wait for that front leg to go forward and send it right up the crease. Take a moment and get settled, pick a spot. All the excitement of getting an arrow off will come crushing down if you make a bad shot. Good luck all!

Sent from Texas via tapatalk!
Bonesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #30
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Good reminder for even us "seasoned" bowhunters that get a once-in-a-lifetime buck in front of us.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #31
Cull
Pope & Young

I was there and know how sick Bobby was. Great lesson to be learned here. Take your time and take a high percentage shot. Much better to schedule a rematch for tomorrow than risk a poor shot today.
Cull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #32
Texar
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX/AR & US Public

Very well said from all.....and an on time reminder to all of us at the eve of the season that we love!! Great Post!!!
Texar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #33
Knox
Ten Point

Nicely put and very true
Knox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #34
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

Great thread for new and experienced hunters........
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #35
thezimtex
Spike

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

A lot of good advice for the inexperienced BHers such as myself. Thanks guys!
thezimtex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #36
DJames
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Awe the joy's of bowhunting. I have been there before. Great thread Chew!
DJames is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #37
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Good reminder for even us "seasoned" bowhunters that get a once-in-a-lifetime buck in front of us.
Amen to that Ricky T!!
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #38
old shrimper
Eight Point

Hunt In: public land east texas

Great reminder for everyone old and new to bowhunting. Thanks
old shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #39
BOBSTER
Eight Point

Very good post Bobby, and thanks for reminding us all.
BOBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #40
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Houston Counties

Awesome post Chew. It felt like I was reading what I went through my first few years of bowhunting. I didn't know anyone personally who bow hunted and basically self taught myself everything which led to a couple disasters like this. Great reminder.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #41
KickerPoint79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wild things are..

Wise words Chew.
KickerPoint79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #42
Eric4x4
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louise, Texas / SE Kansas/SE Oklahoma

Great post
Eric4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #43
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Great advice and reminder! ttt
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #44
BradJ74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around Somerville Lake

Great words of wisdom Chew! Thanks for the reminder. Hope all is going well for you!
BradJ74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #45
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells and Wilson Counties

I did it with my first deer, a doe. I was up in the tripod and she had busted me a couple of times and never left. She scared everything else out of the field with her stomping and I was PO'ed at her. I said that as soon she gave me a change I would take her. It was getting dark and she turned broadside. I raised my bow and shot way too fast. I ended up closing my eyes and torqing the bow. I shot her far back and its a gut wrenching feeling when you hear the bad shot as opposed to seeing it. I tracked her for over a mile and never found her. I have never been so disgusted in all my life! Lessons learned and we carry on but I will never forget that day!
haas0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #46
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Melvin, TX

Thanks for the Advise
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #47
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Very very wise chew.
My first attempt at harvesting was very similar... It tears me apart every time I think about it.... Told myself I needed a 20 yard or less shot since it was my first time. But light was fading and he wouldn't get any closer then 30 yards... Unfortunately I tried talking the shot but I was only pulling 60 pounds at the time and my bow made a noise as I released the arrow and that extra 10yards gave him enough time to drop his front legs back and protect his arm pit which was exposed when I released... Tracked him for over .5 of a mile only to have a fellow leaser shoot him the following day... He was a 142' 8 point
Him being broadside and 10extra yards changed the outcome drastically. Never go out of your comfort zone on flinging a arrow. It's better to have the buck healthy and walking the next day then suffering from a stupid mistake
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #48
Gonzo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto County

I'm one of those who will be looking for the first shot on opening day.
This is great advise that I will keep running through my mind when is time to make a shot.

-Gonzo
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #49
S.E.Texan
Four Point

Hunt In: Liberty/Chambers County

As a first year bow hunter, I would like to say thank you. I have always considered myself to be an ethical hunter, but hearing this from you guys will no doubt keep it fresh in my mind to wait on the right shot. Making a bad shot and only wounding a deer is my biggest fear. But, I have been shooting alot and I know my limitations. Now I will just have to control the "fever" and make a smart shot. Thanks for the stories and advice!
S.E.Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #50
bigmactog
Ten Point

Hunt In: America

Brother Chew speaks the truth...I've taken several new bow hunters on a hunt and it never fells - big deer or big buck, first deer - bad shot.... oh so true.....good luck everyone. Maybe god be with you....
bigmactog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top