Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #51
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Even okies with no bucks.
You have some monsta's up there!
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #52
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Iíve found that deer donít eat rye, but cattle do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #53
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

In my experience Rye will come up pretty easy and look good but the deer don't care for it too much.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #54
Tbar
Ten Point

Stonewall county....A reminder of wetter times.

https://youtu.be/u-i263_w4ME
https://youtu.be/XhAkhGxY81Y
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2022, 12:31 AM   #55
Ryan81
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Ryan,
At our place we have two landowners owners and our property is divided by a farm to market road.
We have 300 acres of wheat on our 1800 acre side. One field is 45 acres and directly across the FM road from our 600 acre side and a 80 acre oat field.
Our observations have been in early season they like them both equally. Later on when it gets cold, the pasture is dead and the rut is over they prefer the oats.
We have tried rye grass in 1-2 acre spots way in the back away from our other fields and it never came up.

I would go oats on a 2-3 acre spot

Will oats come up good on a spot thatís not disced? The place I have in mind is a field that used to be planted every year by the folks that leased for cattle except for the last 2 years. Thereís a few spots that doesnít have much grass/weeds and I think I can get a decent stand up. Itís about 12 acres total but Iím not spending the time or money without anyone helping for the whole field.

I wanted to do some rye cause I know it will come up. I know itís not the best for deer but also donít want to spend alot of money on something that wonít come up without much fertilizer or preparation. Not much rain in the forecast and Iím limited on what dates I can get seed out. Probably 2nd weekend of October.

Cattle folks pulled their herd off this summer so no fighting them this year. It doesnít look like they will be putting any cows back on either with our solar farm moving in. Good for this year but not sure what to think going forward if they find new folks to lease it. Weíve had a good relationship for several years.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2022, 12:50 AM   #56
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Will oats come up good on a spot thatís not disced? The place I have in mind is a field that used to be planted every year by the folks that leased for cattle except for the last 2 years. Thereís a few spots that doesnít have much grass/weeds and I think I can get a decent stand up. Itís about 12 acres total but Iím not spending the time or money without anyone helping for the whole field.

I wanted to do some rye cause I know it will come up. I know itís not the best for deer but also donít want to spend alot of money on something that wonít come up without much fertilizer or preparation. Not much rain in the forecast and Iím limited on what dates I can get seed out. Probably 2nd weekend of October.

Cattle folks pulled their herd off this summer so no fighting them this year. It doesnít look like they will be putting any cows back on either with our solar farm moving in. Good for this year but not sure what to think going forward if they find new folks to lease it. Weíve had a good relationship for several years.

They disc all ours every year. Rye just never came up for us. We didn't try very hard to make it good. One of our baseball guys brought an old drag he had made years ago. We just threw it on top of what we had drug.
It might work for you thou.
Best of luck with it.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:27 PM   #57
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County, Stephens County

Hereís the best buck I have on camera so far. I usually end up killing one that Iíve never seen before so Iím hopeful thereís better. Good luck to everyone this weekend. Iíll be sitting this opener out.

BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #58
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

This ol boy has not been feedin on my spot, but I hope the world famous cross country golf cart racer (my buddy Michael), runs one through him Saturday.

Itís supposed to be 51 Sunday morning, I may go full loin cloth, or less.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Old 09-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #59
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
This ol boy has not been feedin on my spot, but I hope the world famous cross country golf cart racer (my buddy Michael), runs one through him Saturday.

That is a nice one, looks plenty mature and fat, hope y'all get him.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #60
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:

Dang Dale, if ya get him on the ground your feed bill will be cut in half!
Old 09-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #61
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
Hereís the best buck I have on camera so far. I usually end up killing one that Iíve never seen before so Iím hopeful thereís better. Good luck to everyone this weekend. Iíll be sitting this opener out.

That's a nice one. We never get ours on camera either.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:01 PM   #62
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Good luck this weekend ladies, gents and any munchkins out and about. I haven't gotten excited about it yet for some reason. Lots of golf scheduled during October. It might be awhile for me.
Let's see some LDPs!
Old 10-02-2022, 08:52 PM   #63
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hard to believe that no one in our fine area went out this weekend? Not even a bad report? Surely someone saw sumthin?
Old 10-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #64
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I saw a bunch of deer, just nothin to write home about. Weather was sure nice.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #65
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I haven’t even hunted yet. Grandkids had baseball games this weekend so that’s a priority for me. Besides, I’m retired and I can go any day. I’ll be hunting in the morning.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #66
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Hard to believe that no one in our fine area went out this weekend? Not even a bad report? Surely someone saw sumthin?
Oh, i got a bad report for you. I went out this weekend with no real expectations. I got to the stand i intended to hunt and checked the camera card and put out some corn on Friday late afternoon. I checked the camera card Friday evening. Not one good buck on camera for two weeks. The reason? Two hogs, each around 250 lbs each (or more), have invaded the area and are hanging around all during the night. Ugh. Oh well, maybe i can get a pig. So i'm in the quad pod early Saturday morning. I see a doe and a yearling. Meh. Then a little later, about 10 minutes before sunrise, i see a little buck slipping in. I'm look through the field glasses. To my surprise there is a big buck in front of him. He's one of our better bucks. I decided to go ahead and shoot him. The situation was PERFECT. The deer was 18 yards away, quartering away, with not a care in the world. I get the bow, experience a little adrenalin dump, and get ready to shoot. I line up the shot, and send it. I didn't do it right, i was too casual. Instead of taking a deep breath, exhaling, aiming for the smallest spot i can imagine, going full blown assassin, and releasing, i took a 'good' aim and sent the arrow. I knew immediately i hit the deer high. But he took off and rolled up a in a pile of dust 30 yards later. When the dust settled, no deer. I waited and hour and a half, trailed blood for two hours, and eventually jumped the deer. I went back to camp, ran a couple of errands, and went back to search again at 3:30 in the afternoon. After doing near hand to hand combat with a rattlesnake (we won), we found blood and continued the trail. Eventually the blood dried out, and we lost the trail. Went back and looked for three more hours this morning. Nothing. I have to hope i just flesh wounded him and he will survive. We'll see. I'm just sick. Never again will i be that casual about a shot. Dang it. This is him~

I hope i get a chance at redemption and that the coyotes didn't get him. Ugh.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikemorvan; 10-02-2022 at 10:59 PM.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #67
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
Oh, i got a bad report for you. I went out this weekend with no real expectations. I got to the stand i intended to hunt and checked the camera card and put out some corn on Friday late afternoon. I checked the camera card Friday evening. Not one good buck on camera for two weeks. The reason? Two hogs, each around 250 lbs each (or more), have invaded the area and are hanging around all during the night. Ugh. Oh well, maybe i can get a pig. So i'm in the quad pod early Saturday morning. I see a doe and a yearling. Meh. Then a little later, about 10 minutes before sunrise, i see a little buck slipping in. I'm look through the field glasses. To my surprise there is a big buck in front of him. He's one of our better bucks. I decided to go ahead and shoot him. The situation was PERFECT. The deer was 18 yards away, quartering away, with not a care in the world. I get the bow, experience a little adrenalin dump, and get ready to shoot. I line up the shot, and send it. I didn't do it right, i was too casual. Instead of taking a deep breath, exhaling, aiming for the smallest spot i can imagine, going full blown assassin, and releasing, i took a 'good' aim and sent the arrow. I knew immediately i hit the deer high. But he took off and rolled up a in a pile of dust 30 yards later. When the dust settled, no deer. I waited and hour and a half, trailed blood for two hours, and eventually jumped the deer. I went back to camp, ran a couple of errands, and went back to search again at 3:30 in the afternoon. After doing near hand to hand combat with a rattlesnake (we won), we found blood and continued the trail. Eventually the blood dried out, and we lost the trail. Went back and looked for three more hours this morning. Nothing. I have to hope i just flesh wounded him and he will survive. We'll see. I'm just sick. Never again will i be that casual about a shot. Dang it. This is him~

Dang Mike, thats a bummer. I hope he shows back on camera soon. Take out some revenge on those worthless hogs next time.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:00 AM   #68
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman Tx , Melvin Tx And SW Oklahoma

Quote:

Dang it it happens to everyone. I bet you hit him in the backstrap he will survive as long as it doesn’t get infected!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #69
mix
Six Point

Hunt In: Seymour TX Caddo Ok

Quote:

Hate to hear that. Hopefully he'll give you another chance. I shot a pig and a coon. Filled feeders and put out a couple new cameras. The boys shot a couple boxes of .22 at camp. My wife about stepped on a rattlesnake. The most exciting thing we saw was an antelope on 222 between Throckmorton and Seymour. I'd heard they were around but hadn't seen one till Saturday.

Name:  Antelope.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  144.5 KB
mix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #70
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northwest Texas Plains

Wow, had not idea Antelope had moved into that area. Is this a new thing?

ac
Adgerc15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #71
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

He killed him yesterday morning.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:09 PM   #72
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Quote:

Great deer, great pic! Love tat flyer on the left side...congrats to Michael!

ac
Old 10-10-2022, 02:19 PM   #73
tmkrueger
Ten Point

Nice deer congrats!

tmkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #74
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:

Heck yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #75
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Congrats to Michael!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 07:25 PM   #76
lmartin5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan County, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado

Quote:

Great buck!

lmartin5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 07:43 PM   #77
Fused11C
Four Point

Hunt In: TX to OK

Thatís a great looking buck man.

Fused11C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #78
Bullfrog90
Eight Point

Congratulations to Michael on a heck of deer. Dale, Michael wouldnít be a superintendent for a construction company by chance? I think we might have crossed paths a few years ago on a new school build.
Bullfrog90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2022, 09:00 PM   #79
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog90 View Post
Congratulations to Michael on a heck of deer. Dale, Michael wouldnít be a superintendent for a construction company by chance? I think we might have crossed paths a few years ago on a new school build.

He would. In Crowley I bet.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #80
Bullfrog90
Eight Point

I thought that was him, Mike is a solid dude wish I wouldíve talked more hunting and fishing with him. It was a Fwisd school on the southwest side of town.
Bullfrog90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #81
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Congrats to Michael and a beautiful buck deer.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #82
eradicator
Pope & Young

That's a great looking buck!!!
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #83
Ryan C
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas. Northern NM

Antelope have been in the area for a long time. I hadn’t seen many of them the last few years though. There are also some really nice deer in that open country where you took that pic. Surprising as it sounds with no trees for miles around.
Ryan C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #84
Slingshot17
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Young/Throckmorton Co.

Bump.. how is everyone around Throckmorton/Young county looking lately? Gonna go try to slip in Thursday-Monday..
Slingshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #85
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot17 View Post
Bump.. how is everyone around Throckmorton/Young county looking lately? Gonna go try to slip in Thursday-Monday..
Horns are terrible this year on my place. Tons of pigs. In the five years I've had my place this is the worst year by far for bucks.

Everything is super dry. I did get a 0.25 inch on Monday. Looks like a chance for more Sunday and Monday.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #86
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Last night I finally got me a WallHanger gonna do a write up thread shortly.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by PoppinPiggies; 10-13-2022 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Pic to big
Old 10-13-2022, 09:45 AM   #87
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

I’d say so!! Very nice. Great buck and looks like a great shot. Congrats man!!
Old 10-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #88
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Heck yea, congrats!

ac
Old 10-14-2022, 04:36 AM   #89
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Wadda go Ryan! Congrats on a whopper. That is a big bodied deer too. What did he weigh?
Old 10-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #90
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Ttt.. weekend roll call. One more week of golf for me then it's huntin season.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #91
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Congrats on a great buck!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #92
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ttt.. weekend roll call. One more week of golf for me then it's huntin season.
Iím done until mid-November. Good luck to all you MONT hunters. Shoot straight. Aim small, miss small.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:05 AM   #93
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Quote:
Wadda go Ryan! Congrats on a whopper. That is a big bodied deer too. What did he weigh?
He weighed 181 lbs gutted
Old 10-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #94
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

My uncles out chasing a Big 8 right now gonna wait a week or two to hunt a doe in hopes of not boogering up his chances.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #95
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Default Anything from anybody?

Man this thread has been on the down low all of October?

I am glad we got some rain this past couple of days. Our wheat was no tilled in on September 1st and has had no rain till this past few days. I hope it comes up and our season will be back on track. We check our rain by our camera pics. As yall know out in our area it could rain 2 inches on one side of your place and a mile away you don't get a drop.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #96
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Headed out tomorrow. Expecting a lot of lookin, visitin, eatin, drinkin and sleepin. Hunting optional!
Safe travels to all and post some pics.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:43 PM   #97
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

We are heading up to Throckmorton on the 17-19th. It's always a surprise as to what we'll see with no cameras or feeders. Last year I knocked down a 143" and 133" in back to back hunts. Hoping for lots of activity this year!
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #98
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Tracked a big 8 pt for my uncle last week, if I can figure out how to blur his face I will post a pic
Old 11-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #99
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Last edited by PoppinPiggies; 11-03-2022 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Make smaller
Old 11-03-2022, 04:55 PM   #100
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Might do a write up with trail cam pics and stuff in the Campfire haven't decided yet