No announcement yet.

Stand by Hunter Process on Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't go to any standbys your wasting your time. They will not accept cash.

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
      I went to a what seemed like a very questionable draw once, not sure of the staff was paying attention to the numbers game being played, it got called out by someone. The next stand by at same place they changed how did it, then it was totally fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It happens, seen it at Richland creek more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
        Assuming that you get picked for a Stand By Position, What type payment will the Area Manager accept for your hunt? Check, Cash or Credit/Debit Card?
        I think it’s CC. When I drew Devils River, they wouldn’t do any stand by. They said they couldn’t accept cash and had no way to run a credit card. Which is sad because on that hunt, only 5 people had paid for the permit. This was before they started the 2nd draw process.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
          I think it’s CC. When I drew Devils River, they wouldn’t do any stand by. They said they couldn’t accept cash and had no way to run a credit card. Which is sad because on that hunt, only 5 people had paid for the permit. This was before they started the 2nd draw process.
          I will call a few of the WMA's and ask ahead of time. If they had no way to accept payment, they should have let you hunt for free!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            Don't go to any standbys your wasting your time. They will not accept cash.
            Sarchasm alert! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
              I will call a few of the WMA's and ask ahead of time. If they had no way to accept payment, they should have let you hunt for free!!!
              Well, I had already paid for my permit.
              I also hunted Fort Boggy 3 times as a stand by. I don’t remember how I paid the first 2 times but I know on the 3rd time it was with CC. That was when the check in station had a new facility.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                We know the staff at Gus, RC and Big Lake very well and I can guarantee we do not have any advantage over anyone else in the standby drawings.
                Dad has been hunting Gus since it opened (1968?)

Staff at some of the other WMAs might be shady (I highly doubt it) but the ones at the above are fair and honest
                I agree. Kyle assigns a number, you watch that numbered ping pong ball go in the bucket. A random drawn hunter picks the first ball. It's shown to the standbys and that hunter picks the next one. You know how any spots are avaliable before the draw starts.

The only issue I had was some came from the early draw at RC and made the BLB draw. I don't think there's a rule against it. Kyle told them if they made it by the cutoff they could draw. I'm not really upset about it but RC should have had their draw the same time as BLB. I see both sides. If I didn't draw one place why shouldn't I be able to put in at another. What if they were a day apart? Why would that change things from same day. The other side would be we need to maximize the chances for someone to draw and if there on the same day pick one and see how it goes.
                Last edited by jnd1959; 10-02-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I've seen them look around at the folks who showed up, look at their board and said we all hunt. Or all the kids hunt.

I've seen the folks at Chap(previous management) crunch up all the cards and put them in the bucket & shake the fool out of it. About as random as you can get.

I've seen folks put them in buckets flat and they shake it a little and pick from the top.

It is all relative & is what it is. I am happy that some places still have physical stand by spots.

Next year I will be retired and goto ALL of them .

Comment

I was talking to dad about this thread Thursday

He said he remembered at one hunt they used marbles of different colors
                    Said if there were 5 spots and 25 trying to get them they would put 5 marbles of one color and 20 of another.
                    Each person reached in and drew a marble. Ones with the right color got to hunt

Comment

Working...
                    X